Injury Report: Joffrey Lupul

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bone bruise, rest him tonight and if it's better tomorrow then he plays, I wouldn't force it tonight though.

Tyler Biggs*

Great, Lupul gets x-rays on his foot. Hopefully he's good to go tonight. Really looking forward to seeing Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson playing together.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
You can't if your foot doesn't fit in the skate.

I just took a shot off the top of my foot two days ago and can still barely walk today.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I suspect they'll err on the side of caution, and not play tonight him to avoid any risk of further aggravation.

Then they'll retest things tomorrow, and if says he feels ok, I can see him getting the green light vs. Pit, because of the caliber of team.

Let's see.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Unfortunately all you can do is wait and see. No matter how it happens can't avoid the realities of an injury being an injury.

Be nice if there was something learned from it, but thus is Lupul. If he's not injured he's on the verge of injury, suppose we got lucky he managed this many games in a row before getting hurt again.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hopefully he is good to go. The odds of beating Pittsburgh on a back to back are not high. We need this one.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Freak injuries or not this is what stops Lupul from being my favourite Leaf. When this guy is on and motivated it's like "Wow what a player" but then you gotta worry if he's going to play the next game without being injured it gets annoying.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
To cut Lupul some slack, this was one of those situations where boys will be boys (they'll take risks with less bulky equipment to feel more comfortable out there, it happens with players everywhere), and Carlyle's bitter attitude took over the spotlight. I bet Joffrey, like many other players, has never worn the protective coverings over his skates. And he's 30 years old, so he's played and practiced a lot at the NHL level. It's the same as in past generations, where hardly anyone ever wore a visor, or even helmets prior to that, despite facial lacerations and eye injuries happening to players every now and again.

Overall, I really think Joffrey has been a victim of brutal bad luck, as none of his injuries have been of the chronic nature. Most were the result of freak accidents - the collision with Hatcher, the Phaneuf shot that broke his arm, the blood infections, etc). For all that he gives to the Leafs with his tremendous play, his leadership, and the example he sets with his strict fitness routines, I give him a mulligan on this, although I really hope going forward he gets the protective covers on, at least for practice.

Asif16*

Yeah it doesnt look like hee's gonna go tonight. Henny tweeted that Lupul is still having trouble puting pressure on his foot. Leivo is coming in

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Yeah it doesnt look like hee's gonna go tonight. Henny tweeted that Lupul is still having trouble puting pressure on his foot. Leivo is coming in

oh well. with clarkson in the line up, i think we'll still find a way to win like we have all season.

Leivo has been a nice surprise... it's good that we have a guy who can get called up who can actually score.

bodie has been playing well too.

the other call ups haven't been bad either.

and with mcclement good eough to be a solid 3rd liner, we're not in horrible shape with lupul out tonight.

also, after tomorrow's game, we don't play again until next friday... so hopefully that'll give lupul some time to heal

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Carlyle says it all the time in interviews.

"We cannot expect our players to give 110% if they aren't even 100%"

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
oh well. with clarkson in the line up, i think we'll still find a way to win like we have all season.

Leivo has been a nice surprise... it's good that we have a guy who can get called up who can actually score.

bodie has been playing well too.

the other call ups haven't been bad either.

and with mcclement good eough to be a solid 3rd liner, we're not in horrible shape with lupul out tonight.

also, after tomorrow's game, we don't play again until next friday... so hopefully that'll give lupul some time to heal

Agreed, but we play Wednesday against the flames.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Freak injuries or not this is what stops Lupul from being my favourite Leaf. When this guy is on and motivated it's like "Wow what a player" but then you gotta worry if he's going to play the next game without being injured it gets annoying.

Not a freak injury at all, the Leafs provide shot block covers for the skate boot and want all their players to wear them especially practices. Carlyle was not happy said Lupul and a couple others refuse to wear them. It's too bad they can't refuse to pay him until he returns. I thought Lupul had put the past behind him always known to be a selfish player before he came to the Leafs.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Not a freak injury at all, the Leafs provide shot block covers for the skate boot and want all their players to wear them especially practices. Carlyle was not happy said Lupul and a couple others refuse to wear them. It's too bad they can't refuse to pay him until he returns. I thought Lupul had put the past behind him always known to be a selfish player before he came to the Leafs.

So what are you saying, that Lupul has some sort of deficiency that makes his bones break easier and his body break down quicker?

There's a difference between being injury prone and unlucky.

Marian Gaborik? Injury prone. His groin injury troubles have plagued him over the years.
Marc Savard? Injury prone. Multiple concussions. Each time with a higher likelihood of occurrence.
Joffrey Lupul? Unlucky. Back infection, broken arm from a shot, mild concussion, bruised foot. No instances of re-injury.

As for the selfish part, what a load of BS. If that's the case every player who doesn't wear a visor is selfish because they're willfully jeopardizing their health for comfort.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
So what are you saying, that Lupul has some sort of deficiency that makes his bones break easier and his body break down quicker?

There's a difference between being injury prone and unlucky.

Marian Gaborik? Injury prone. His groin injury troubles have plagued him over the years.
Marc Savard? Injury prone. Multiple concussions. Each time with a higher likelihood of occurrence.
Joffrey Lupul? Unlucky. Back infection, broken arm from a shot, mild concussion, bruised foot. No instances of re-injury.

As for the selfish part, what a load of BS. If that's the case every player who doesn't wear a visor is selfish because they're willfully jeopardizing their health for comfort.

Yup. All players should wear visors

Don't understand why players have to learn the hard way before switching to visors

Anyone excited for Orr - Kadri - Clarkson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad