Injury Report: Joffrey Lupul

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
No. Why they are playing Kadri with that knuckle dragger Orr is beyond my comprehension.
Because Lupul was an idiot and got himself hurt? While we have some elite wingers when they get hurt that somewhat limits the options. Orr can throw his weight around and if that frees up space for Kadri to score himself or set up Clarkson it could work temporarily.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Lupul is just a walking injury report. Everytime he hits, gets hit, skates, gets up in the morning, there's a chance he got injured in some way. Sucks but we're lucky we got anything from him, they thought he was done in Anaheim when they sent him to us I bet.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Gone for a CT scan now, which makes me wonder if it's worse than initially thought.

Reminds me me when Lupul was concussed last season, and they didn't call it a concussion at first, and he said he felt ok, then he had to remain out for a handful of games and they confirmed that he was concussed. This foot situation seems like a combination of an injury that's hard to diagnose and the general sentiment that NHL teams really don't care to provide clear information on their player injuries.

Perhaps since it's the foot, and there are several small bones, something was missed and the CT scan will pick it up? Not a doctor, just speculating.

Hoping the scan doesn't show anything new, but nevertheless, this can't be good news.

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
Gone for a CT scan now, which makes me wonder if it's worse than initially thought.

Reminds me me when Lupul was concussed last season, and they didn't call it a concussion at first, and he said he felt ok, then he had to remain out for a handful of games and they confirmed that he was concussed. This foot situation seems like a combination of an injury that's hard to diagnose and the general sentiment that NHL teams really don't care to provide clear information on their player injuries.

Perhaps since it's the foot, and there are several small bones, something was missed and the CT scan will pick it up? Not a doctor, just speculating.

Hoping the scan doesn't show anything new, but nevertheless, this can't be good news.

My guess is that nothing has changed, and they're just looking to confirm that it's just a bruise before telling him to suck it up and play through it (bandage it up perhaps or whatever would actually help?).

If it's something more, and the CT shows it, then they'll just play it safe.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
If it's just a bone bruise, he can play as soon as he thinks he can play well enough while sucking up the pain. If it's more than a bone bruise, he can make the injury far worse trying to play on it. I would think THAT is why he was sent for a CT Scan... to ensure there isn't anything structurally wrong with the foot. Tbh I wouldn't be shocked if he played tonight.... I don't expect it, but it wouldn't shock me.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
My guess is that nothing has changed, and they're just looking to confirm that it's just a bruise before telling him to suck it up and play through it (bandage it up perhaps or whatever would actually help?).

If it's something more, and the CT shows it, then they'll just play it safe.

IMO, Lupul is the kind of guy who would play through pain, only to have the team hold him back. Seems like in this situation (complete speculation) the immediate x-ray didn't pick anything up, but since there was swelling, the x-ray maybe wasn't completely conclusive. Joffrey took the x-ray diagnosis as good news, and hoped that the swelling would subside and he would feel better by game time in Columbus. Obviously that didn't happen, and couldn't go. Today, the swelling is down, but he still feels pain, so they likely thought that it's possible there is a hairline fracture that the initial x-ray missed, so let's get a CT scan done and go from there. It wouldn't be the first time an initial x-ray didn't pick up a hairline fracture.

Fingers crossed.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
If it's just a bone bruise, he can play as soon as he thinks he can play well enough while sucking up the pain. If it's more than a bone bruise, he can make the injury far worse trying to play on it. I would think THAT is why he was sent for a CT Scan... to ensure there isn't anything structurally wrong with the foot. Tbh I wouldn't be shocked if he played tonight.... I don't expect it, but it wouldn't shock me.

Considering today's news, I'd be absolutely floored if I saw #19 in blue tonight. Two days off after this before back-to-back road games in Edmonton and Calgary. If he still feels pain now, even though the swelling is down, and even if it's still a bruise, I think they take the extra days in a row to rest the foot. It's still October.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Considering today's news, I'd be absolutely floored if I saw #19 in blue tonight. Two days off after this before back-to-back road games in Edmonton and Calgary. If he still feels pain now, even though the swelling is down, and even if it's still a bruise, I think they take the extra days in a row to rest the foot. It's still October.
It's it's a bruise, all you need to do is ensure you can still play at a high enough level with the pain. If it comes back negative I think he'll definitely warm up and then see how it feels.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
a ppg player averages around 80 points a season Lupul cant be counted on for even close to that.

PPG player averages point per game.

Sadly in Lupul's case, that's about 60 points in 60 games, not 80 points in 80 games.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Because Lupul was an idiot and got himself hurt? While we have some elite wingers when they get hurt that somewhat limits the options. Orr can throw his weight around and if that frees up space for Kadri to score himself or set up Clarkson it could work temporarily.

How'd that work out?

Sip

Jul 18, 2013
IMO, Lupul is the kind of guy who would play through pain, only to have the team hold him back. Seems like in this situation (complete speculation) the immediate x-ray didn't pick anything up, but since there was swelling, the x-ray maybe wasn't completely conclusive. Joffrey took the x-ray diagnosis as good news, and hoped that the swelling would subside and he would feel better by game time in Columbus. Obviously that didn't happen, and couldn't go. Today, the swelling is down, but he still feels pain, so they likely thought that it's possible there is a hairline fracture that the initial x-ray missed, so let's get a CT scan done and go from there. It wouldn't be the first time an initial x-ray didn't pick up a hairline fracture.

Fingers crossed.

Swelling would not hinder an x-ray as fluid is not radiopaque. The CT is just a better diagnostic tool for smaller injuries. You're right, Hairline fractures can be hard to see on radiographs. Usually negative results on a radiograph mean it is a joint problem (subluxation) tendon or ligament issuse, although how that would happen from a shot i dont know.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Swelling would not hinder an x-ray as fluid is not radiopaque. The CT is just a better diagnostic tool for smaller injuries. You're right, Hairline fractures can be hard to see on radiographs. Usually negative results on a radiograph mean it is a joint problem (subluxation) tendon or ligament issuse, although how that would happen from a shot i dont know.

Ok, well I thought I heard that swelling can effect it, and that's why you always hear about doctors waiting until swelling subsides before they can make a diagnosis. Perhaps that's more to do with diagnosing sprains than breaks, I'm not sure. Regardless, I know hairline fractures can at times be difficult to see (bad angle, missed by reviewer, etc), and it is quite possible if there is one, it wasn't picked up on the initial x-ray.

Fingers crossed.

Disgruntled Observer*

Remember, he's not "injury" prone.

He's "unlucky" prone.

Lol.
Only in leaf land.

Tyler Biggs*

Lupul is going to be traveling with the team out west. Kulemin and Fraser are both about 3-4 days away from what I hear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad