Joffrey Lupul: Why He's Being Robidas'd and Not Bought Out OR Traded

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He was down to 4th line duties the last month or so. I'd rather he sit out and let a young guy get some experience.

Ya kinda interesting ain't it , coach babs strips him of his A

then tin man earns 4th line choirs ( thats soo beneath GQ Jonny)

and then all of a sudden he goes all robidas and gets a operation that most players wait till the end of the season to get done.

and folks wonder why i think we will never dawn this proud jersey ever again.

just pull up his career profile , teams kept dumping him like a hot potatoes and he has a habit of needing holidays during every single season he has played

there is something very wrong with this guy and it ain't all bad luck.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I still wonder if Lupul might go to the NHLPA and say he's healthy, because I don't think he will accept it like the way Robidas did.

That's part of the result of MLSE going full-board into analytics, and part of Dr. Bettle's role.

Dubas was talking about it over the summer.

To paraphrase, using kinesiology and analytics (body tracking programs) they can map out any particular player's optimal performance output, and then use a baseline to determine when a player is showing signs of wear and tear.

It's as precise as a millisecond shift in muscular response.

If a player is showing signs of wear and tear, they can shut the player down before the injury gets worse, or use it as a guide to locating injuries well ahead of time.

But it's no secret that players play through injuries all the time, however in Lupul's case, even if he says he is healthy, that won't be enough because the Leafs can just argue their data says otherwise.

IMO Lamoriello is using this technology to justify putting roster players on the shelf so he can play the kids.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
That's part of the result of MLSE going full-board into analytics, and part of Dr. Bettle's role.

Dubas was talking about it over the summer.

To paraphrase, using kinesiology and analytics (body tracking programs) they can map out any particular player's optimal performance output, and then use a baseline to determine when a player is showing signs of wear and tear.

It's as precise as a millisecond shift in muscular response.

If a player is showing signs of wear and tear, they can shut the player down before the injury gets worse, or use it as a guide to locating injuries well ahead of time.

But it's no secret that players play through injuries all the time, however in Lupul's case, even if he says he is healthy, that won't be enough because the Leafs can just argue their data says otherwise.

IMO Lamoriello is using this technology to justify putting roster players on the shelf so he can play the kids.
I like it. Kids get to play and the guys on their retirement contracts are getting full pay. Win win

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think it comes down to math. 9 - 3 = 6. If Lupul accepts being shut down, he can collect $9M more in the next 2 years. If Lupul doesn't like that, he can get $6M of that $9M then see how much interest there is in a 33 year old NHL winger with a history of injuries.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I think it comes down to math. 9 - 3 = 6. If Lupul accepts being shut down, he can collect $9M more in the next 2 years. If Lupul doesn't like that, he can get $6M of that $9M then see how much interest there is in a 33 year old NHL winger with a history of injuries.

Over simplification, he can't just choose to go on LTIR, the league monitors that. So he would have to "accept" IR all season, which would be Robidas and Lupul on IR which would be 3 + 5.25 = 8.25 in dead cap space. That would successfully end the Stamkos debate.

Not too mention, the league could likely squash Robidas island if they really wanted to.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Ya kinda interesting ain't it , coach babs strips him of his A

then tin man earns 4th line choirs ( thats soo beneath GQ Jonny)

and then all of a sudden he goes all robidas and gets a operation that most players wait till the end of the season to get done.

and folks wonder why i think we will never dawn this proud jersey ever again.

just pull up his career profile , teams kept dumping him like a hot potatoes and he has a habit of needing holidays during every single season he has played

there is something very wrong with this guy and it ain't all bad luck.

Bolded is the only valid part of this post, that may support the theory he doesn't suit up for Leafs again.

Being dumped like hot potatoes???

He was traded for Pronger (HOFer in his prime), Pitkanen (former 4th overall, coming off back to back 40+ point seasons to start his career), Pronger again (still Norris threat, led Flyers to cup finals that season) and Beauchemin (top pair dman for Ana for 5 more years).

Lupul likely has one of the best "traded for" resumes in league history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad