Joffrey Lupul: Why He's Being Robidas'd and Not Bought Out OR Traded

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If he can prove that he is healthy, the Players Union would cause an uproar if they tried to leave him on the LTR.

He's stuck with the Leafs (Thanks Burke/Nonis). I don't think he needs to be bought out yet - no cap crunch in the team at present. They might be able to just ride out his remaining years.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Does anyone know who exposure works as it relates to the Marlies? For instance, say we want to keep Cowen around in order to meet the requirements for salary exposure, but he's buried in the Marlies (assuming he isn't bought-out). Will players who are buried count towards it?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The league's mandate is to make the expansion teams competitive off the bat and allowing UFAs to be made available will leave less quality unprotected so unless what you're saying is already fact then I'm not buying it.

A) plain and simple, the rules outlines have been proposed and that stipulation has not been mentioned, that would be a massive omission if not.

B) and this is the most important part, some teams might not have enough retention spots to cover all their UFAs but most important of all

teams could not reach that 25% without adding in upcoming UFAs

It's purely a logistics and rules thing

they are addressing the "lets help them start good" by making the "protection rules and slot numbers so strict".

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Why are we even worried?

All existing teams will protect their best players. For those unprotected, to me it woould make the most sense for an expansion team to pickup playoff experienced players from contenders, not basement dwellers.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
If he could be traded, he would of been already. Got to suck it up for 2 years or retain half his salary for another bad player. There is no point of a buyout, we don't need the cap space right now.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
our old vet horrible contract doesnt fit with youth movement of team 4th line for next year

michalek laich lupul

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why are we even worried?

All existing teams will protect their best players. For those unprotected, to me it woould make the most sense for an expansion team to pickup playoff experienced players from contenders, not basement dwellers.

I am not sure I understand you. You realise they will only get one player from each team right ? They are not going to ignore us and not take a player unless we bribe them with picks or something to not do so.

Right now I am guessing they will take a younger guy like Percy or they will snag Bozak. They should take the best players available with a slight edge to youth or controllable contracts.

Last edited:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Can't just make a 32 year old player disappear. NHL will come snooping around on this one if he's on LTIR next season.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
our old vet horrible contract doesnt fit with youth movement of team 4th line for next year

michalek laich lupul

Both Michalek and Lupul will play higher in the lineup. You'll see a similar setup to what they have now, with vets mixed in with our youth. Don't think we are losing much having either of them in Grabner's spot in the top 6.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Both Michalek and Lupul will play higher in the lineup. You'll see a similar setup to what they have now, with vets mixed in with our youth. Don't think we are losing much having either of them in Grabner's spot in the top 6.

He played mostly on the 4th line as RW when healthy this season iirc.

Mad Brills*

Can't just make a 32 year old player disappear. NHL will come snooping around on this one if he's on LTIR next season.

yup. Leafs never put robidas on LTIR, he's still counting towards the cap, but not taking up playing time.

Horton is on LTIR.

Leafs can put lupul on IR for next year if they want to, but that's 5.25 million in dead cap.

Rather retain 50% to get rid of him.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
yup. Leafs never put robidas on ltir, he's still counting towards the cap, but not taking up playing time.

Horton is on ltir.

Leafs can put lupul on ir for next year if they want to, but that's 5.25 million in dead cap.

Rather retain 50% to get rid of him.

edit: He is not on ltir.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Put him in a position next year to play protected minutes and some pp time try to get his numbers up nice and high retain as much as possible and try to move him at the trade deadline
Maybe some crazy GM might take him
If you can't move him just ride out the contract as best you can

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Good luck ever returning to the game after being on IR for two years. Hes no Roberts.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
He played mostly on the 4th line as RW when healthy this season iirc.

Yes, but the lineup was never littered with Marlies when Lupul was in the line-up. As we've seen at the end of this season, Babcock likes to spread out the vets. I highly doubt we have a Michalek-Laich-Lupul 4th line next year.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
He gets that $10M for sure if he doesn't. Coming back increases his chance of being bought out for less money.

He gets $0 if he retires. He won't be put on LTIR for 2 years because of sports hernia surgery.

People love throwing around buyouts. What capspace do we so desperately need to hurt our cap a few years down the road when we may actually need it.

It makes zero sense to buy out Lupul, he doesn't hurt the team when he's in the lineup, and gives other a chance when the inevitable injuries pop up.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
He gets $0 if he retires. He won't be put on LTIR for 2 years because of sports hernia surgery.

People love throwing around buyouts. What capspace do we so desperately need to hurt our cap a few years down the road when we may actually need it.

It makes zero sense to buy out Lupul, he doesn't hurt the team when he's in the lineup, and gives other a chance when the inevitable injuries pop up.

Believe me I do not want the Leafs buying him out. I'd rather they just bury him for the remaining 2 years.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Believe me I do not want the Leafs buying him out. I'd rather they just bury him for the remaining 2 years.

Bury him where? On a team starved for goals I don't mind him in the lineup when healthy. He's among the top 4 goal scorers on the team this year, and the lack of assists while playing with Spaling and Winnik doesn't really shock me.

If he gets beat for a job next year fine, but if he comes in healthy I doubt that's the case.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Bury him where? On a team starved for goals I don't mind him in the lineup when healthy. He's among the top 4 goal scorers on the team this year, and the lack of assists while playing with Spaling and Winnik doesn't really shock me.

If he gets beat for a job next year fine, but if he comes in healthy I doubt that's the case.

He was down to 4th line duties the last month or so. I'd rather he sit out and let a young guy get some experience.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph

Problem is that we have so many forwards. And there's a good chance we add one at the draft who can step right into the lineup. There's also Marner to deal with.

Put him in a position next year to play protected minutes and some pp time try to get his numbers up nice and high retain as much as possible and try to move him at the trade deadline
Maybe some crazy GM might take him
If you can't move him just ride out the contract as best you can

At that point, you may as well just buy him out. Obviously this is the best course of action but with only a year left, a two-year buyout isn't a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad