Sportsnet: Joffrey Lupul: What the Maple Leafs must do to contend (Mod Warning!)

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
We need to get rid of players who coasted through the whole season and get injured a lot, so Lupul

I have vouched for his removal before, but I don't think the time is right now. I still think he is a good second-line player. Let's see if he can build his value and revisit this in a year or two when we at least have someone knocking on the door like Leivo or Nylander.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bozak has played 674 mins without Kessel, but those are mainly short handed, not 5v5 minutes. Of course he hasn't put up points on the PK :laugh:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Bozak has played 674 mins without Kessel, but those are mainly short handed, not 5v5 minutes. Of course he hasn't put up points on the PK :laugh:

Isn't he pretty good when it comes to scoring goals when on the PK?

Anyway, yeah, he is a product of Kessel. But I think he played better when he was the defensive player who made up for Kessel and the other winger (Lupul) defensive shortcomings. Last season he wanted to make a more offensive contribution and his defensive game sufferers. He is not good enough to be a 2-way player on a first line who manage to contribute at both ends just as much. He need to focus on one end more then the other. And with Kessel and another offensive first (second and third) winger he should be the first guy back home every time and not try and play to much with those two.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
To add to Cor's comments, Bozak was better at GF per 60 than Kessel was last year, what do you say about that? How is this possible?

Because he's better than kessel :sarcasm:, you tell me why Kadri was producing like an elite #1C for 50 games and I'll tell you why Bozak was producong like an elite #1C for 50 games

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's because he had a freakishly abnormal (lucky) shooting percentage of like 20%. For comparison, Kessel and Crosby shoot at around 13%.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah Bozak isn't in Kessel's class as a player, but complaining about him is a bit like whining that Crosby plays with Kunitz isn't it? Sure, ideally you give Kessel a 100 point, 6'4" center with a defensive conscience who can skate like the wind but it's not like we're overflowing with options.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bozak had a high shooting %, but that's only because he takes less shots. He only takes high % shots, and when that isn't an option, he passes to a better option. If he took more shots, that shooting % would lower.

Bozak is a smart player.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Bozak had a high shooting %, but that's only because he takes less shots. He only takes high % shots, and when that isn't an option, he passes to a better option. If he took more shots, that shooting % would lower.

Bozak is a smart player.

:amazed: you mean, Bozak utalises Hockey IQ and makes smart decisions most times with the puck? What's wrong with you, saying logic like this?! :laugh:

in answer the topic - i think it's so incredibly simple.

this team doesn't mind if they lose. (sure after they lose 8 in a row they're like, yah it kind of sucks) - but they take it in stride a lot.

it can sound cliche but i think the best teams, on top of basic hockey stuff (drafting, signing well, etc), and age (having older veterans on the team) - they loathe losing. in fact they hate losing more than they enjoy winning. We all mock the Jonathan Toews grumpy face - but if they're losing he's pissed. if he's winning he's moderately happy. In LA - Sutter is actually harder on the team when they win constantly vs. when they lose (according to Jamie McLennan). but just look at LA if they're behind. Lucic and Marchand and Thornton and Chara generally turn into beasts if they're behind (because they're not ya know, beastly when they're ahead either).

Us? Cherry sounded off on this and a lot of people went 'who cares..." but these guys are too happy go lucky. We're losing and JVR etc are laughing with opposition, or with guys on the bench. when they are in a slump they go "well we were ________ last week, so clearly it's not that bad."

the team needs to learn to hate how to lose as much - or if more - then liking the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00