Sportsnet: Joffrey Lupul: What the Maple Leafs must do to contend (Mod Warning!)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

According to Joffrey Lupul, in order for the Toronto Maple Leafs to avoid another late-season crash, the hockey players on the club have to be hungrier, and the hockey club needs to get older and wiser.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-kings-free-agents-trade-expereince-shanahan/

The Maple Leafs’ adversity is well-documented, so we won’t retrace the route of Toronto’s blue-and-white 18-wheeler, only to say that time has not healed the frustration Lupul and his teammates experienced while dropping 12 of their final 14 games last season while tail-spinning to 23rd place overall.

“It’s still equally as disappointing now,†Lupul said. “The difference between winning and losing is so small in the NHL, and I think a lot of those games I look back and think we played well enough to win but we didn’t. A key for us going forward this season is just to keep our foot on the gas. If we’re in a playoff spot, try to extend that lead, try to go for first. Don’t just be satisfied. Things happen: a couple of injuries, some bad luck. Next thing you know, you’re on the outside looking in.â€

Which brings us to the central question: How can the 2014-15 Leafs avoid another late-season crash?

In addition to hungrier, the Leafs need to get older and wiser, Lupul says, and he appears to be on the same page as his general manager. When Dave Nonis signed 37-year-old free agent Stephane Robidas on July 1, the veteran defenceman instantly became the eldest player on the Leafs’ roster, by five years. Plugger Colton Orr is 32, Lupul and David Clarkson are 30 while the rest of the team is in their 20s. By comparison, the Kings have nine players aged 29 or older; the ‘Hawks have eight.

“When I see teams that have success in the playoffs, they did it with a lot of veteran leaders,†said Lupul. “I think we have a lot of good, young players, but when it comes down to playoff hockey and crunch time, it seems the teams that have the most experience are winning. L.A. is a great example of that. Three or four times in that playoff run I thought they were done, but they delivered, and it always seemed like it was the veteran guys doing it. So you want to add experience, size, puck-moving defencemen—but itâ™s funny, so do the other 29 teams.â€

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I would like to see a lot more hunger out of Lupul to be honest. He's one of the 'older' guys that are supposed to be mentoring Kadri etc.

officialmark*

I would like to see a lot more hunger out of Lupul to be honest. He's one of the 'older' guys that are supposed to be mentoring Kadri etc.

I'm not sure how you can say that. Lupul always gives it his all, and that is sometimes a bad thing because he tries to do it all by himself. This is the coaches/GM fault though for not giving him a winger to play with. They got Frattin back, and he should be better this season without Clarkson, and Kulemin the 2 black holes offensively.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sorry Joffrey, you're not part of the solution and never will be. A pro who has to learn to "not be satisfied" in the middle of a dog fight to make the playoffs has no spot on a winning team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure how you can say that. Lupul always gives it his all, and that is sometimes a bad thing because he tries to do it all by himself. This is the coaches/GM fault though for not giving him a winger to play with. They got Frattin back, and he should be better this season without Clarkson, and Kulemin the 2 black holes offensively.

I'd like to have a camera on Lupul after he's gone up the ice for the 2 on 1 and how little he cares to backcheck after going for it...

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013
And what's the earth-shattering insight that you guys want him to give that isn't a cliche? Or are we just posting some filler until we get to the fashion jokes?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I know he was hurt last year, as usual...but those remarks ring pretty hollow to me.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
Sorry Joffrey, you're not part of the solution and never will be. A pro who has to learn to "not be satisfied" in the middle of a dog fight to make the playoffs has no spot on a winning team.

Let's not forget that A we've seen on his jersey makes these comments worse.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Thanks Lupul. Maybe if you could start playing some defense and start showing up on nights that aren't Hockey Night in Canada nights, you'd help.

Saturday Night Lupul for Captain - amirite?

mikebel111*

#truecaptainlupul

As many said on here
Will you walk the walk this year Lupul?

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Sounds like he is going to be in good shape this coming season at least.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
This fanbase is so bi-polar.

2 seasons ago everyone loved Lupul. People were saying he should be captain. Now people want him traded 1 season later.

It's sad.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

2 seasons ago everyone loved Lupul. People were saying he should be captain. Now people want him traded 1 season later.

It's sad.

Watch him play.

He's playing scared now.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

It's sad.

2 seasons ago, Lupul wasn't seemingly going out of his way to be the worst top six forward defensively in the entire NHL.

Not exaggerating, even 19 year old Phil Kessel wasn't as lazy as Lupul was last season.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
2 seasons ago, Lupul wasn't seemingly going out of his way to be the worst top six forward defensively in the entire NHL.

Not exaggerating, even 19 year old Phil Kessel wasn't as lazy as Lupul was last season.

Yeah he had a bad season but lets not run him out of town. He's a great player.

Maybe the embarrassment of last season will light a fire under his ass.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013

gunner rubbing out seguin and frats running that play was both sad and great to remember

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah he had a bad season but lets not run him out of town. He's a great player.

Maybe the embarrassment of last season will light a fire under his ass.

the embarrassment of game seven should have lit a fire under his ass. he even said it - the game will haunt him for the rest of his life. well clearly not because he played like poo (except on Saturdays. then he remember that he was playing hockey).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00