Sportsnet: Joffrey Lupul: What the Maple Leafs must do to contend (Mod Warning!)

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
i dunno man. if you think that what the Leafs of last season lacked most was battled-hardened experience then i don't think we watched the same team. i don't think i watched the team Lupul played on either though, the one that deserved to win many of the games they lost.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
One of the only good glimpses into our team during HBO 24/7 was Lupul's apparent passion change... from hockey to fashion.

Since he was on that mag cover he's been changed.. thinking about doing fashion shoots over scoring goals, our shopping for Sweaters on Christmas Eve and NYE instead of doing anything else hockey or family related. Sounds silly but I honestly think that somehow he has been caught up with his ego since the all-star game and with his pay cheque came the elimination of any pressure for him to continue his performance.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Maybe Lupul has a point about the need for more battle tested veterans.

Last season we had very few players over the age of 30.

How many will we have this year?

Robidas, Lupul, Clarkson and Kontiola? Phaneuf is in that age range too I suspect.

Will that be enough I wonder or will we continue to flounder under pressure?

I guess we need to hope that some of the younger players will take a step forward in their development otherwise we could be in for another difficult season.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
You mean Bozak was only .22 worst than Kadri in GA per 60 despite having played to a far higher QOC, playing more mins, and despite having a much higher % in defensive zone starts?

Context is a wonderful thing isn't it?

It is not a far higher QoC.. see the usage chart to see the difference. Kadri took on a much tougher role compared to 2012 as well. Kadri has a better corsi rel despite much worse line mates. I am hoping Kadri continues his progression and has a great year.

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usag...siRel&yAxis=qoc&update-filters=Update+Results

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
“You felt like no one deserved to lose,” Lupul told Sportsnet in a recent interview. “Watching some of that, it’s safe to say our team has a ways to go before our team is competing with them year in, year out.”

It was a rare moment of candour from a hockey player, albeit a 30-year-old one with perspective. And it was swiftly balanced with a splash of hope.

“That’s not to say we can’t get there,” Lupul added. “It's like 6/49, you kind of have a snowballs chance in hell to win, but your chance isn't zero.”

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
One of the only good glimpses into our team during HBO 24/7 was Lupul's apparent passion change... from hockey to fashion.

Since he was on that mag cover he's been changed.. thinking about doing fashion shoots over scoring goals, our shopping for Sweaters on Christmas Eve and NYE instead of doing anything else hockey or family related. Sounds silly but I honestly think that somehow he has been caught up with his ego since the all-star game and with his pay cheque came the elimination of any pressure for him to continue his performance.

HBO 24/7 is a curse - the Leafs will have a great year with no eighteen wheeler moments now;)

Durkin67

i dunno man. if you think that what the Leafs of last season lacked most was battled-hardened experience then i don't think we watched the same team. i don't think i watched the team Lupul played on either though, the one that deserved to win many of the games they lost.

What I saw was a group that had no idea how to respond when it was on the ropes, no composure, no pushback, no answer...constantly having the game dictated to them.

While you reference terms like grit, I am talking about mental tenacity and resiliency. I'm talking about intestinal fortitude, not cracking heads.

They were mentally beaten more often than not by opponents they should have run roughshod over. I'm talking about mental errors; gaffes at the offensive blue line leading to turnovers, bobbled breakouts that the opposition converted into scoring chances, turnovers in every zone... That's lack of readiness and experience, there's no other way to describe it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lupul is right.

Can't have a bunch of kids doing their thing and not getting the team bit.

It isn't about being pretty or getting good stats.

It's about winning, and player with less than 2 years experience in the NHL just don't understand.

Lupul probably had some issue with the "kids" playing for themselves last year.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Lupul is right.

It's about winning, and player with less than 2 years experience in the NHL just don't understand.

It would come across better if it wasn't him taking nights off frequently

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I am pretty on the fence with Lupul, I like him well enough but I wouldn't care if he was traded for a decent return, his game/injury history is too chaotic. His cap hit isnt even that bad, he would benefit from a big center...

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
You guys can say what you want about Joffrey Lupul, but he is a scorer with an aesthetic face and style, the casuals love him.

He really needs to get his game together, he needs to be our secondary scorer

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You guys can say what you want about Joffrey Lupul, but he is a scorer with an aesthetic face and style, the casuals love him.

He really needs to get his game together, he needs to be our secondary scorer

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4281
Kontiola is a smart center with great passing ability and playmaking skills. Has decent speed, but could shoot the puck more.

Maybe it is just a matter of finding the right linemates for each of the Leafs middle 6 forwards.

van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kontiola-Frattin
Komarov-Kadri-Ashton
Bodie-Santorelli-Orr/...

Clarkson I suppose has to be in there somewhere ... either 2nd. or 3rd. line.

Heck, Santorelli had a 51.3 face off percentage and we know how Carlyle falls in love with these guys.

I'd say Lupul is going to see some changes, and there is going to be competition for center ice positions, and taking a face-off is something that is going to come into play.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lupul is right.

Lupul hinted around Christmas that some Leafs were not playing a team game, but an individual game. You have to wonder if last year was more a product of frustration or his play itself? Does he want his old spot back with Bozak and Kessel?

“We’re going to switch things around by playing more of a team game and doing it as a team,” said Lupul. “That being said, you do need individuals to step up at points.

“You want to step up your individual game but within the team structure. It’s easy to try to do too much and get off on your own page. You see that when teams are struggling, guys want to make an impact and do things that aren’t what usually makes them successful.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...fs_turn_to_jonathan_bernier_to_end_slump.html

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lupul hinted around Christmas that some Leafs were not playing a team game, but an individual game. You have to wonder if last year was more a product of frustration or his play itself? Does he want his old spot back with Bozak and Kessel?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...fs_turn_to_jonathan_bernier_to_end_slump.html

Bernier is 10-11-2 with a 2.53 goals-against average and a .925 save percentage. He lost his last start, Monday, against Pittsburgh. He has won one of his last five appearances that includes coming in for relief for James Reimer on Dec. 12 in St. Louis.

This was a poor stretch, but it didn't happen at the end of the year, so it got swept under the rug.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's weird that he says that, but at the same time his whole game was the definition of that "playing outside of the team structure, forcing things, etc" the whole season.

Durkin67

My guess is that Lupul is referring to Kadri, who has some maturing to do still at this point.

Naz comes across to me as a player who is consumed with the notion that he has to prove he can hang, and that the stat line means more than group success. He's vying for the big payday following his bridge deal, and that is often affected more by individual records than success as a contributing party.
Seriously, so many of these kids seem obsessed with what their peers are earning, and as a result, they take themselves out of their element in order to try to measure up. It's like if they aren't part of the. 30 million dollar club by the age of 23 they've somehow failed.

Durkin67

Perhaps it was playing with an inexperienced center with less than a year in the NHL.

This was likely the case. Kadri is very gifted, but raw in terms of being someone who can make his linemates better. He also struggled terribly when centring the Kessel line. He's far more skilled than Bozak, but Bozak has a handle on the team first, playmaker mentality required for group success.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My guess is that Lupul is referring to Kadri, who has some maturing to do still at this point.

Naz comes across to me as a player who is consumed with the notion that he has to prove he can hang, and that the stat line means more than group success. He's vying for the big payday following his bridge deal, and that is often affected more by individual records than success as a contributing party.
Seriously, so many of these kids seem obsessed with what their peers are earning, and as a result, they take themselves out of their element in order to try to measure up. It's like if they aren't part of the. 30 million dollar club by the age of 23 they've somehow failed.

Lupul is probably wishing he can play with Bozak, if we can get another top 6C that an play with Kessel as well as Bozak does. I would have no problem moving him down with Lupul. Lupul had some real high praise for Bozak when he came back. Judging by his comments at Christmas, and recently I don't think he was too happy with his line mates last year.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Lupul is probably wishing he can play with Bozak, if we can get another top 6C that an play with Kessel as well as Bozak does. I would have no problem moving him down with Lupul. Lupul had some real high praise for Bozak when he came back. Judging by his comments at Christmas, and recently I don't think he was too happy with his line mates last year.

You mean Lupul is probably wishing he could play with Kessel?

Your obsession with Bozak has really gotten to a point as to where its ridiculous.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You mean Lupul is probably wishing he could play with Kessel?

Your obsession with Bozak has really gotten to a point as to where its ridiculous.

No, stating the facts. Lupul had a career year with Bozak as his center, 67 points in 66 games.

Plus Kessel and JVR had career years with Bozak as their centres. A point punctuated by how much they missed him when he was hurt.

JVR .60 without Bozak 49 point year
JVR .82 with Bozak 68 point year

Kessel .79 wihout Bozak 65 point year
Kessel 1.05 with Bozak 85 point year

Last 2 full seasons over 60 games.
Lupul 1.01 with Bozak 83 point year
Lupul .64 without Bozak 52 point year

Is any of the above untrue?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks