Sportsnet: Joffrey Lupul: What the Maple Leafs must do to contend (Mod Warning!)

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Lol I remember when Lupul was tweeting fans on twitter that they would get this thing turned around when they were playing terrible. You sure did Lupes.

Probably was happy about going to New York early to pick up some fancy clothes for his photoshoot.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
This fanbase is so bi-polar.

2 seasons ago everyone loved Lupul. People were saying he should be captain. Now people want him traded 1 season later.

It's sad.

Lupul's never been consistant in his NHL career 1 good season followed by a couple of bad one's, he was overrated 2 years ago, people who have watched Lupul's career would have known that just a lot of posters only watch Leaf games. altho he's due for another good season this one or next.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm of the belief that Lupul is badly under-rated by many.

There's something really refreshing about Lupul's honesty in the interview.

On the same day that Brendan Shanahan blatantly lied to everyone and treated Leafs fans like they were stupid idiots, Lupul openly admits that the Leafs are a long way from being a contender.

I like it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

On the same day that Brendan Shanahan blatantly lied to everyone and treated Leafs fans like they were stupid idiots, Lupul openly admits that the Leafs are a long way from being a contender.

I like it.

Well, the Leafs are a long ways from being contenders because players like Joffrey Lupul bring a one dimensional game and a lack of dedication and are just now learning about effort and compete levels and not being complacent. Maybe he should get some marks for being captain obvious, but he is a lazy player and a big part of the problem on the Leafs.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Well, the Leafs are a long ways from being contenders because players like Joffrey Lupul bring a one dimensional game and a lack of dedication and are just now learning about effort and compete levels and not being complacent. Maybe he should get some marks for being captain obvious, but he is a lazy player and a big part of the problem on the Leafs.

He also got 67 points in 66 games playing on the top line in 2011-2012 and was a top-10 NHL scorer for a majority of the season. He was far from lazy that year, he may not have the best defensive game but it's very worth what he can bring offensively.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
He's more worried about his hair and suits than his on-ice performance :laugh:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
What did people expect him to say?

"Well for one thing we need a legit #1 center and we can not rely on Dion being our best defenseman, he cant just handle it. He is good and all when he can focus on a few things but once the workload increase his little brain just freeze. I and every other top six forward, but especially the first line, need to be more responsible in our own end. We are on for as many if not more goals that we score because we cheat and take the easy options to many times when we dont have the puck. I am a big part of that problem even do Kessel and his line highlight it the most. If we can do that we become a much harder team to play against and even do that does not make us contenders we will at least make the playoffs. Perhaps we will have to sacrifice some offense for more defence, I know I am ready for it. I already signed my big deal based on the points I scored and so have most other guys in the top six. We dont need to put up points to better our next contracts, now we just want to win."

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Lupul really shouldn't be talking. He didn't show he cared about anything last season, other than how he looked/dressed.

I say we hold on to him for another year, his value is the lowest its been in the past 3 years.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I don't know what people expect the guy to say?

He is not going to speak negatively about any single player on the team. The only player he might say didn't have a great season is himself, then apologize to the fans for it, and say he will have a better one next season.

He would be a complete fool to call out the coach or his system.

The one thing he did kind of admit was that the leadership was not there as a whole last year.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure how you can say that. Lupul always gives it his all, and that is sometimes a bad thing because he tries to do it all by himself. This is the coaches/GM fault though for not giving him a winger to play with. They got Frattin back, and he should be better this season without Clarkson, and Kulemin the 2 black holes offensively.

no there are games he is invisible. but that is true of everyone

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I'm not sure how you can say that. Lupul always gives it his all, and that is sometimes a bad thing because he tries to do it all by himself. This is the coaches/GM fault though for not giving him a winger to play with. They got Frattin back, and he should be better this season without Clarkson, and Kulemin the 2 black holes offensively.

Since Frattin had that 7 goal streak halfway through the 12/13 season he's scored something like 3 goals in 60 or so games. Anything could happen I guess but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I like it.

what on earth are you talking about?

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012

You tube john Scott goal vs Toronto..
Make sure you get the view from behind toronto a goalie.. And make sure you see the Toronto turn over.

Then tell me if you still feel that way about lupul.. That's the goal where he lost my respect.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
You tube john Scott goal vs Toronto..
Make sure you get the view from behind toronto a goalie.. And make sure you see the Toronto turn over.

Then tell me if you still feel that way about lupul.. That's the goal where he lost my respect.

Are you new to the internet? You add a link, preferably you embed the video in the post instead of the link...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs addressed the age part as they got significantly older by their moves this summer but not a lot of experience at least not NHL experience anyways.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

The second I read people criticize the hardest working Leaf who is the biggest gym rat and model professional in the organization as lazy, is the second I discount the rest of their opinion.

:handclap:

It boggles my mind that the perception of Lupul being lazy still persists, even AFTER the HBO 24/7 stuff.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
The second I read people criticize the hardest working Leaf who is the biggest gym rat and model professional in the organization as lazy, is the second I discount the rest of their opinion.

It boggles my mind that the perception of Lupul being lazy still persists, even AFTER the HBO 24/7 stuff.

Did you watch him play defense last year?

If you say yes, you're lying because it was impossible, no one watched it because it didn't happen.

Lupul was quite easily our worst defensive forward last season.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Lupul is the most deserving leaf needing to address the issues he just highlighted in that speech. Who cares if he is a gym rat or "model professional", the guy played scared, uninspired hockey for 3/4ths of the season last year. 10% of his points came from one game (v. Hawks), and he failed to show up when it was needed. Anyone who actually watched the leafs last year saw the pathetic game he iced and that's why the entire fan base turned on him.

If the Lupul from the previous two seasons could show up again, he'd instantly lose the stigma that now follows him.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Leafs addressed the age part as they got significantly older by their moves this summer but not a lot of experience at least not NHL experience anyways.

Seriously? Santa, Robidas, Polak? Not a lot of NHL experience? :help: Only like 1500 NHL games combine between those 3, but I guess thats not a lot.

officialmark*

You tube john Scott goals vs Toronto..

Then tell me if you still feel that way about lupul.. That's the the he goal where he lost my respect.

Yeah Lupes should have known that Bernier would give the puck back to Buffalo. Or maybe he should have known that Toronto D wouldn't pick up the rebound that went between both of them. To the guys that complain about him back checking; he doesn't play C and shouldn't be expected to be the first man back on most occasions. Most of the time it's Kadris job to be the first guy back. So do you want all of the forwards to back check to the same guy? Sometimes you have to float back in case there is a missed pass, or your D can hit you quick. It's not all go go go.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Yeah Lupes should have known that Bernier would give the puck back to Buffalo. Or maybe he should have known that Toronto D wouldn't pick up the rebound that went between both of them. To the guys that complain about him back checking; he doesn't play C and shouldn't be expected to be the first man back on most occasions. Most of the time it's Kadris job to be the first guy back. So do you want all of the forwards to back check to the same guy? Sometimes you have to float back in case there is a missed pass, or your D can hit you quick. It's not all go go go.

He coasted the entire way back. And when he hit the top of the circle.. He took two hard strides.. And ... If anywhere in the 200.feet of ice.. He took another stride.. Just one explosive push.. Just one.. He would have been able to fend off the John Scott shot. No heart. All for the glory.. Watch him when he goes for line changes.. Always always always is when the other team is on the rush. Always.

Trade him, riems and Franson for something of value please..

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
“It’s still equally as disappointing now,†Lupul said. “The difference between winning and losing is so small in the NHL, and I think a lot of those games I look back and think we played well enough to win but we didn’t. A key for us going forward this season is just to keep our foot on the gas. If we’re in a playoff spot, try to extend that lead, try to go for first. Don’t just be satisfied. Things happen: a couple of injuries, some bad luck. Next thing you know, you’re on the outside looking in.â€

Lupul does not get it if he still thinks they played well enough to win. If Lupul doesn't get it then it scares the hell out of me because its possible none of them (players, coaches management) get it so I am hoping Lupul is just saying what he thinks he needs to say because its the media training thing.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Lupul does not get it if he still thinks they played well enough to win. If Lupul doesn't get it then it scares the hell out of me because its possible none of them (players, coaches management) get it so I am hoping Lupul is just saying what he thinks he needs to say because its the media training thing.

He admits he doesn't think they did enough, in the very same bolded quote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad