Joffrey Lupul & James van Riemsdyk, proving others wrong

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I realize it's still very early in the season and I know this will change from game to game. However who else is impressed with the early play of Joffrey Lupul and James van Riemsdyk? I'm talking about them because of the various injuries they been through the past few seasons.

As of October 13, 2013 Lupul is 3rd in league scoring with 5 goals and 3 assists for 8 points.

Plus van Riemsdyk is 16th in league scoring with 5 goals and 1 assist for 6 points.

So if Lupul is able to stay healthy the whole season what numbers can he put up and could he play better when Clarkson returns?

As for van Riemsdyk I know last season he played the full 48 games, however I'm sure some people might say let him play a full 82 games and at the time he was traded to Toronto others thought he would not play up to his potiental for being a 2nd overall pick.

wulfio*

career year in the 60-70 point rage for JVR. and PPG for lupul.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Both Lupul an JVR are PPG players. We have Kes, Lup, JVR, Kadri with .8 - PPG potential and a whack of others at .5 - .75ppg guys. Pretty stacked really.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know how much longer we can consider Lupul "proving people wrong".

I mean the guy was an all-star 2 years ago, and if it wasn't for the broken arm he would have been an allstar during the shortened season as well.

The guy is a top forward in the NHL, he should be in consideration for team Canada, if he's healthy, and produces like he has the last 2 years... he'll be in the conversation in december.

And JVR, what can I say, the guy has taken this trade and embraced it. He's really becoming a top flight guy, deserving of a 2nd overall selection. Reminds me of James Neal... was an up and coming guy who was teetering on good and very good... traded to Pitt and now he's a stud.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
if lupul is healthy all of this year, last year and year before...people would be talking about him being one of top players in nhl, his last 3 years have been top 15 or so player like...but the guy just keeps finding ways to get on the injured list

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
For an organization that was known for trading their 1st rounders away we have quite a few top 10 picks still in their 20's in our lineup. Perhaps more than any other team except maybe Edmonton.

JVR (2nd overall)
Lupul (7th overall)
Kessel 5tb overall
Kadri 7th overall
Phaneuf 9th overall,
Bernier (11th) overall
Rielly 5th overall (19)

Honorable mention to Gardiner (17th overall)

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
For an organization that was known for trading their 1st rounders away we have quite a few top 10 picks still in their 20's in our lineup. Perhaps more than any other team except maybe Edmonton.

JVR (2nd overall)
Lupul (7th overall)
Kessel 5tb overall
Kadri 7th overall
Phaneuf 9th overall,
Bernier (11th) overall

DIdnt know 11th was top 10 :sarcasm:

YOu forgot Rielly

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I still can't believe we got Lupul as a throw-in in the Beauchemin deal :laugh:

I know. seriously. like here. take this bum.
OKAY! :D

Lupul is playing like a man on a mission. I really. REALLY hope he can stay healthy. (to be fair most of his injuries have been majorly fluky (that happened to be major). other than that, he seems like a guy who tends to be dedicated regarding his fitness.

and you can tell he's starting to get more comfortable as the games go on. last week he wasn't really connecting on things that he would have been getting in last season, and I do believe it's due to missing camp. (or most of it). this whole week he just looked better, looked faster, and his timing has improved most noticeably.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
For the next 5 years the Leafs have the best LW set up in the league.

JvR - 4.25 mill x 5 yrs
Lupul - 5.25 mill x 5yrs

9.5 million for two 1st line LW's is beautiful.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
For the next 5 years the Leafs have the best LW set up in the league.

JvR - 4.25 mill x 5 yrs
Lupul - 5.25 mill x 5yrs

9.5 million for two 1st line LW's is beautiful.

you know what makes that more beautiful - Lupul signing for that much, he could have waited and even taking his injuries into consideration asked for a LOT more money. Loops loves it here.

(so does JVR but he hasn't signed an extension yet)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What did we give up for JVR again :sarcasm:

When you sit and think about the trades Burke made it is truly astounding. It's also fun to think how people on this board kept saying "yeah but Edmonton's top talent is young" while here we sit with JVR (24), Kadri (23), Kessel (just turned 26) all capable top 30 scorers. Then there's old man Lupul (30)......

Big Papa Cheese

Sep 25, 2013
Two very exciting players to watch. JVR is beast in the offensive zone just needs to work a bit on his defensive side. Lupul is pretty much perfect lol

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Lupul and JVR are premier power forwards in the NHL, and the best part is, we absolutely stole both of them from Anaheim and Philadelphia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad