Joffrey Lupul & James van Riemsdyk, proving others wrong

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The other thing I like is the ability it gives us to actually roll consistent lines. I really dislike constantly changing the partners. If we can go forward over the next 5 + years rolling Kessel + JVR every night and Lupul + Kadri every night, that bodes well for chemistry, knowing where the other guy is etc. We may have the second line complement (Clarkson...remains to be seen), hopefulyy we can find the top line complement.

It absolutely kills me seeing Steen with 8 PTS in 4 GP. What a perfect fit for that top line. Stupid Senile Fox......

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
JVR IMO is going to get 30+ easily this year. You can just tell he's in beast mode. His skating is so much better, not that it sucked before but his acceleration is at a completely different level right now. With the chemisty of and Lupul and Kessel, I think there is no doubt JVR can hit 80+ points this season.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Weird... Lupul with only 15 min TOI last night and nobody cares...

But when Kadri was getting roughly the same amount of minutes last season everyone was freaking out saying he should be playing 20+ mpg.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
JVR said last night it was Underhill along with Marty St. Louis who noticed a simple thing to fix in his skating stride. Good teachers.

Luke Schenn would greatly benefit from Underhill. His skating ability and later movement is really weak and one of the reason why he most often get beat wide.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I read a stat line on Lupul (may have been last night on HNIC) and he has like 92 points in his last 88 games with the Leafs

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Lupul for Pronger and Sbisa among other nice, shiny things. JvR for Luke Schenn. The Flyers' trades of the past few years have proven themselves to be horrific.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Is there another team out there that has better wingers than the leafs? We have the perfect mixture of size, grit, speed, elite skill and (when Clarkson returns) toughness. Add in that four of our wingers are currently ppg it is really incredible. And yes I know its early, but still...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
When you sit and think about the trades Burke made it is truly astounding. It's also fun to think how people on this board kept saying "yeah but Edmonton's top talent is young" while here we sit with JVR (24), Kadri (23), Kessel (just turned 26) all capable top 30 scorers. Then there's old man Lupul (30)......

did he JUST turn 30? yeah, Sept 23rd (thank you wikipedia). which makes currently, Mr. McClement Grandpa as he turned 30 in March. (Holy Moses).

Lupul is by far the best looking guy on the team

yes, he is very pretty

Seriously.

Acquiring Bernier is the worst thing that could have happened to Lupul in this town.

yes because Bernier is very pretty too.

I read a stat line on Lupul (may have been last night on HNIC) and he has like 92 points in his last 88 games with the Leafs

holy crap.
and that's with what? back spasms, broken arms, concussions, and whatever? (but! let's remember, that is not sustainable!)

Is there another team out there that has better wingers than the leafs? We have the perfect mixture of size, grit, speed, elite skill and (when Clarkson returns) toughness. Add in that four of our wingers are currently ppg it is really incredible. And yes I know its early, but still...

really, I don't think so. You could argue Pittsburgh?

Somewhere, Sundin is watching this in Sweden and going "If Only...."

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario

Kane, Hossa, Sharp beats our trio, but we're definitely near the top.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Oh geez, you stick Mats on this team and we're serious Cup contenders.

Sad. Reminds me of the Dolphins. Years of having a great QB (Marino) but little running game and then when he goes they develop a running game but no QB.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

man if we had Mogs...

that would push Clarkson to the third line and Kessel tot he 2nd line

I so wish we had:

tardis-speakerL1.jpg

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
While Lupul I don't think is surprising many, this has been a breakout year so far for JVR. He's just damn dangerous around the net. Those nets have only done him favors when it comes to really good wrap arounds. And I'd agree his skating is a lot better as well. I can't wait to see what kind of year he has.

We may have some holes, but we certainly have assembled a great group of wingers.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
Pretty unreal having both of these guys. Lupul has evolved into our best all around player and JVR looks to be one of the better powerforwards in the league.

Sadly I think Lupul finishes with 55-60 pts just because hes only gonna play 50-60 games but JVR looks primed to have a career year and maybe even lead the team in goals.

Man imagine if Clarkson comes back on a high note...

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
Kessel/Lupul/JVR can be the best 3 forwards on a Cup contender. easily.

it's just a question of making sure the players around them are good enough.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Jvr is slowly becoming our best overall player IMO. He's playing the body, he's making the front of the net his office, he's got more of a passing game then lupul and less injury prone. He's adding to his arsenal of ways to score, wraparounds, tips, the fancy little side of the net play (go to move on the pp). His confidence is growing rapidly, and he's young enough that he's still got lots of room to grow. Where as with lupul, what we see now is likely to be his peak play.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
JVR is and always has been a monster, always on the verge of finally putting up the numbers to prove it. Look at how he performed for Philly in the playoffs. He was always going to put it together at some point. Him and Kessel have real chemistry, forget about Bozak.

wulfio*

Lupul for Pronger and Sbisa among other nice, shiny things. JvR for Luke Schenn. The Flyers' trades of the past few years have proven themselves to be horrific.

I wouldn't say the Pronger trade was horrific. Pronger carried them to the cup finals. Yes he had a career ending injury, but the trade itself was a good move. Pronger was an absolute beast, he would be my 2nd pick as a D man behind only Lidstrom for probably the last 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad