Joffrey Lupul & James van Riemsdyk, proving others wrong

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Screw signing these stop-gaps.

Let the kids play.

We're gonna have a slew of tweener prospects who are gonna need a shot at the NHL level to show what they have soon, so I hope we stop filling the roster with stop-gaps. I'd prefer one open spot for guys like D'Amigo, Leivo, Broll, Ashton and hopefully Biggs, Brown, etc. to fight over each season.

I'll put my Nonis hat on for a sec and look at it from his pov.

Getting these "stop gaps" the way he did is asset free and provides NHL and playoff exp depth.

Guys like Ranger and Raymond are cheap flyers. Possible positive reclamation projects.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Was anybody really "over the top negative" about the Lupul and JVR trades? They were both blue-chip prospects who had then already gone on to show very high potential in the NHL.

the Schenn-atics who believed that Burke should have moved mountains to get Brayden to toronto and become the 1st line saviour of LeafLand

and then there's the "Lupul is a just a throw in because he's an overpaid injury prone guy that's must be a locker room cancer because he keeps getting traded" crowd

so yeah

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Hah. I must have missed that. I remember the ooh-ing and aaah-ing over Schenn after his rookie season, but I thought everyone had figured out he wasn't very good since then.

I thought there was universal acclaim for the Lupul trade though. Beauchemin had been mediocre for us and they threw in Gardiner who immediately became our top D prospect. Only about 1.5 mil increase in salary from Beauchemin to Lupul.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
lupul was the salary dump in the beauchemin trade, he was 0 value in that trade.

Reactions were mixed around here. I've always supported him as he'd shown alot of flashes and had a few good years before. He's always been kind of on/off when he isnt injured. This year is a great example of it

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
He was a salary dump but far from zero value. He put up very nice numbers in both Anahiem and Philly.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 18m
Lupul on line struggle: Ideally I'd lwant to play on the left wing, that's where I'm much more comfortable, hasn't been the case w/ Injuries

He sucked with RC playing RW in Anaheim. why can't RC find some way to get him back to LW?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Was anybody really "over the top negative" about the Lupul and JVR trades? They were both blue-chip prospects who had then already gone on to show very high potential in the NHL.

I don't think so. For JVR, there were some who were concerned with that foot injury and then there were others that were more disappointed in losing Schenn and felt that the Leafs gave up on him too early (or ruined him...take your pick). For Lupul, his injury history came up but really but no one really expected much of anything from him. The focus was on Gardiner, even at the time it was understood that Gardiner was the player we wanted.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
Lupul on line struggle: Ideally I'd lwant to play on the left wing, that's where I'm much more comfortable, hasn't been the case w/ Injuries

He sucked with RC playing RW in Anaheim. why can't RC find some way to get him back to LW?

What injuries have the Leafs been dealing with exactly?

JVR - nope
Raymond - nope
Kessel - nope
Kulemin - nope
Clarkson - ish
Lupul - ish bu obviously the point is about when he is in the lineup.

We have had injuries to the defense and up the middle not the wing. It's only Carlyle's insistence to play him at RW instead of LW because he believes in that stupid "your stick has to be on the side you play" policy.

Lupul struggled under Carlyle in Anaheim because he forced him to play RW. Lupul gets traded to Toronto and puts up 103 points in 110 games. This year Carlyle puts him back at RW because of injuries up the middle. It makes absolutely no sense. He has turned near PPG production into 25 points in 40 games. And for what? So Mason Raymond can play on the 2nd line?

Penalty Kill Icing*

Randy ****ing Carlyle. Old habits die hard, don't they Randy? :facepalm:

That line is doing naught right now. Nothing. Zero. Why not try Lupul at LW if that is what might get him going.

It is not like Raymond is a ****ing all-star on LW either.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
What injuries have the Leafs been dealing with exactly?

JVR - nope
Raymond - nope
Kessel - nope
Kulemin - nope
Clarkson - ish
Lupul - ish bu obviously the point is about when he is in the lineup.

We have had injuries to the defense and up the middle not the wing. It's only Carlyle's insistence to play him at RW instead of LW because he believes in that stupid "your stick has to be on the side you play" policy.

Lupul struggled under Carlyle in Anaheim because he forced him to play RW. Lupul gets traded to Toronto and puts up 103 points in 110 games. This year Carlyle puts him back at RW because of injuries up the middle. It makes absolutely no sense. He has turned near PPG production into 25 points in 40 games. And for what? So Mason Raymond can play on the 2nd line?

What side did Lupul play on last season? He had a great season last year (when in the line up). So if he was playing RW, can you blame Randy for using him in a position that he's already shown to be successful in? And if he was playing LW, then that goes against your theory that Randy insists that Lupul play on the right because he shoots right. So basically, your theory has no basis.

The team has been struggling for offense and getting back into the games after being down a goal...Raymond is a better offensive option than Clarkson on that second line when looking for a goal which results in one of the guys having to play on their offside. The reality is that there aren't that many options for RW in the top 6. To get Lupul back on his right side, they need to call someone up at this point to assume the position...you think Randy is going to have Nonis call up D'Amigo and play him in the top 6? Or maybe they could just put Ashton there. If one guy has to play on his offside, you put the guy that has the better chance of success on his offside. Yeah, the situation sucks but either way, someone has to play out of their comfort zone.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Suck it up Lupul, it isn't about you.

mikebel111*

now I see 2 problems for the kadri line struggles

lupul not playng where he is comfortable, and of course Mason "passing is for losers" Raymond. kadri has been the best player on that line, although just above average.

this Is on Carlyle. I am not sticking up for lupul here, as he gets too much love around here. but I must say can't really blame him here

As for JVR, if he keeps getting better, I think he may be our best player

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
What side did Lupul play on last season? He had a great season last year (when in the line up). So if he was playing RW, can you blame Randy for using him in a position that he's already shown to be successful in? And if he was playing LW, then that goes against your theory that Randy insists that Lupul play on the right because he shoots right. So basically, your theory has no basis.

So Carlyle not using him at a better position this year after a good season last year dis-proves what exactly? Carlyle didn't have as many right handed shots last year so Lupul was allowed to stay there.

Nonis/Carlyle shipped out Grabovski (Center), and MacArthur (shoots left so played RW). This year they added Raymond (shoots left so plays RW)

It's the same reason he had Phaneuf switch sides on the PP because he wanted Franson and Phaneuf guarding the boards.

The fact that he changed something that worked last year for no reason absolutely proves my point. Carlyle likes his players to have their stick toward the middle of the ice.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
So Carlyle not using him at a better position this year after a good season last year dis-proves what exactly? Carlyle didn't have as many right handed shots last year so Lupul was allowed to stay there.

Nonis/Carlyle shipped out Grabovski (Center), and MacArthur (shoots left so played RW). This year they added Raymond (shoots left so plays RW)

It's the same reason he had Phaneuf switch sides on the PP because he wanted Franson and Phaneuf guarding the boards.

The fact that he changed something that worked last year for no reason absolutely proves my point. Carlyle likes his players to have their stick toward the middle of the ice.

It's 'easy. Lupul doesn't play well on the RW. Raymond is less important so have them switch.. RC even said last year he made a mistake playing Lupul on RW. I don't understand why he insists on playing him RW.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Randy ****ing Carlyle. Old habits die hard, don't they Randy? :facepalm:

That line is doing naught right now. Nothing. Zero. Why not try Lupul at LW if that is what might get him going.

It is not like Raymond is a ****ing all-star on LW either.

I have been SCREAMING this for the past ****ing 2 months. When Lupul came to Toronto he immediately went to LW on Kessel's line and he was DYNAMITE. He was also dynamite last year on the LW, HE ****ING PLAYS BETTER ON THE LW.

And yes, like you said, he is on the RW so they can accommodate the annoying puck-hog Mason Raymond who makes a living out of killing offensive plays. No idea why the **** Carlyle does this, IT DOESN'T WORK, STOP TRYING TO FORCE IT YOU DINOSAUR HEAD.

That line has EASILY been our worst line recently, it gets nothing done. Mason Raymond put up the majority of his points in the first 16 games of the season when he had Bolland as his center, WTF is he still doing on the second line? Get him the hell out of there and bring Kulie or Clarkson on the line, he is honestly having a negative effect on Kadri/Lupul's offensive play with his ********* puck hogging. He wants to put up big numbers this year so he can get a contract next year, and he doesn't care if it's at the expense of his linemates.

I have no idea why Randy refuses to change the second line, he is EASILY the most stubborn coach in the league, he is so stubborn to the point where he will completely ignore their horrible play and keep trying to force something that CLEARLY does not work.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Wait, what? The way Carlyle sets his lines is so that players sticks face the boards, if it was as you say, then Lupul would be playing the position that he's best at.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Didn't MacArthur play RW under Wilson as well? I thought Kulemin was the LW on that line.

Did Lupul start the season on LW? I don't even know anymore. Now I'm all confused so you may be right.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
I have been SCREAMING this for the past ****ing 2 months. When Lupul came to Toronto he immediately went to LW on Kessel's line and he was DYNAMITE. He was also dynamite last year on the LW, HE ****ING PLAYS BETTER ON THE LW.

And yes, like you said, he is on the RW so they can accommodate the annoying puck-hog Mason Raymond who makes a living out of killing offensive plays. No idea why the **** Carlyle does this, IT DOESN'T WORK, STOP TRYING TO FORCE IT YOU DINOSAUR HEAD.

That line has EASILY been our worst line recently, it gets nothing done. Mason Raymond put up the majority of his points in the first 16 games of the season when he had Bolland as his center, WTF is he still doing on the second line? Get him the hell out of there and bring Kulie or Clarkson on the line, he is honestly having a negative effect on Kadri/Lupul's offensive play with his ********* puck hogging. He wants to put up big numbers this year so he can get a contract next year, and he doesn't care if it's at the expense of his linemates.

I have no idea why Randy refuses to change the second line, he is EASILY the most stubborn coach in the league, he is so stubborn to the point where he will completely ignore their horrible play and keep trying to force something that CLEARLY does not work.

i agree, or else why else does he keep playing colton orr?

mason raymond should be on third since he isn't producing, lupul should be on left wing, and move kulemin up to right wing or maybe even jerry d'amigo, as he's almost as fast as raymond, defensively responsible, and isn't soft. despite not having the scoring ability, he will drive to the net and fight on the boards.

i think komorov would have been perfect on right wing, even though he doesn't seem to have the scoring touch to be a second line winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad