Injury Report: Joffrey Lupul: Hes baaaaaaaaaack!

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Not surprised, it seems like this concussion wasn't a major one. He was skating early on but later I think it was peripheral vision problems? Which led the the concussion diagnosis. Don't think he was having bad headaches or anything. Practiced yesterday which told me he was nearing a return, if symptoms didn't return after the practice, and it appears they didn't. But still, take your time Lupul, teams still doing fantastic without you :) But I will welcome your return.

CanadianLov3

Feb 21, 2013
G😍 Leafs
Good news and glad our boys managed to pull wins without him :)

Yeah, I'd be perfectly fine if they kept him out until the playoffs even (though I don't think they will, but still). This team has shown it can still produce without Joffrey

I see him returning for the last couple of games of the season just so he can get in the "groove" again.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
no need to rush him back. i'd be happy if he just played the last 2 or 3 games of the regular season to make sure he's ready for the playoffs.

great news though that he's ready to come back soon!

i wonder what the second line is going to be... lupul - kadri - ______

kuli? macA? frattin?

i'd personally like to see frattin on that line and move kuli to a checking roll on the third line. but either way, it's a solid second line with just kardi and lupul regardless of who else plays with them

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
We wouldn't want to see Lupul force his comeback

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 1h
Lupul did say today that team's positioning in playoff race (5th) keeps him from forcing an early comeback from concussion.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Yeah, I'd be perfectly fine if they kept him out until the playoffs even (though I don't think they will, but still). This team has shown it can still produce without Joffrey

Agreed. It's not worth risking a fluke injury.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think he should just wait and come back after the Florida road trip. It's nice to catch a break once in a while. It's not as serious as it looked to be on the ice.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
no need to rush him back. i'd be happy if he just played the last 2 or 3 games of the regular season to make sure he's ready for the playoffs.

great news though that he's ready to come back soon!

i wonder what the second line is going to be... lupul - kadri - ______

kuli? macA? frattin?

i'd personally like to see frattin on that line and move kuli to a checking roll on the third line. but either way, it's a solid second line with just kardi and lupul regardless of who else plays with them

Which player on the team celebrates goals the best? That's who should play with them. Don't need another good player on that line, just someone to make the goal celebrations awesome, Kadri and Lupul gots it :D

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Lupul

This is what impressed me the most about Lupul from this article:

"I take responsibility for that," Lupul told reporters on Sunday. "You've got to protect yourself out there."

"I should've protected myself," he added. "Those two guys shouldn't be taking me out of the lineup."

It seems to me he is finally learning that he needs to be a little less reckless out there. There is a difference between being physical and being reckless. Ryan Callahan is a great example of this. Callahan is actually smaller than Lupul, but what Callahan does very well is have his head on a swivel at all times. Callahan also does not linger on, he makes the hit and moves the puck...or gets himself along the boards and then moves the puck out of there. Lupul got in there and kind of stopped. I'm not saying it was only his fault...clearly there was no need for the Flyers to sandwich him. But its a good learning experience for him...I see him returning and playing much more consistently!

ark

Awesomesauce
Jul 16, 2007
Markham, Canada
Which player on the team celebrates goals the best? That's who should play with them. Don't need another good player on that line, just someone to make the goal celebrations awesome, Kadri and Lupul gots it :D

MacArthur almost always goes to the one knee fist pump, so I'd go with him :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
truthfully... take the two weeks off, continue skating with Barbara, practice with the team, be healthy, ready and Hulk Smashy against __________________.

CanadianLov3

Feb 21, 2013
G😍 Leafs
This is what impressed me the most about Lupul from this article:

"I take responsibility for that," Lupul told reporters on Sunday. "You've got to protect yourself out there."

"I should've protected myself," he added. "Those two guys shouldn't be taking me out of the lineup."

It seems to me he is finally learning that he needs to be a little less reckless out there. There is a difference between being physical and being reckless. Ryan Callahan is a great example of this. Callahan is actually smaller than Lupul, but what Callahan does very well is have his head on a swivel at all times. Callahan also does not linger on, he makes the hit and moves the puck...or gets himself along the boards and then moves the puck out of there. Lupul got in there and kind of stopped. I'm not saying it was only his fault...clearly there was no need for the Flyers to sandwich him. But its a good learning experience for him...I see him returning and playing much more consistently!

Ditto!

EDDIE20*

We wouldn't want to see Lupul force his comeback

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 1h
Lupul did say today that team's positioning in playoff race (5th) keeps him from forcing an early comeback from concussion.

Good. Play it smart. He'll come back pissed off and want to go on a tear again.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I love this "no need to rush him back" business.

We're not doctors. In fact, he has doctors. World class ones at that. If they deem he is cleared to play he'll play. He's worth a lot more to the team healthy then sitting in a dark room for a year + ala Sidney Crosby, and the Toronto Maple Leafs know this.

So stop worrying, if Joffrey Lupul feels he's ready to play and the doctors agree, then we should all welcome him back with open arms.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
No rush to get him back in the lineup, but don't want him out too long that he doesn't have time to regain his timing and shake off the rust.

The week of the b2b in FLA should be a good time.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I really can't wait till he's back. The team is playing amazing without him but can't wait to see 2 lines on fire

When Joffrey Lupul returns we will witness the "Rebirth of Nazem Kadri" :yo:

With Joffrey Lupul on his line (March 16 to Apr 4):
6G-14pts +6 in 9GP

After Joffrey Lupul went down (April 6 to April 13):
0G-2pts -2 in 4GP

Coaches really started keying on Kadri's line harder and production from the F3 who replaced Lupul (Matt Frattin or Clarke MacArthur) completely disappeared. Furthermore, the top line (JVR-Bozak-Kessel) began to absolutely explode and Randy Carlyle being the smart coach he is started giving them more and more offensive responsibility. With the top line rolling, adding Lupul back into the fray is going to throw off the balance just like it did last time :D

member 147413

I don't know how to treat concussions, but don't the symptoms differ each day? I would keep him away from contact for 4 days and if no symptoms appear then I would clear him for contact. Hell maybe even a week, I don't want to rush him.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I don't know how to treat concussions, but don't the symptoms differ each day? I would keep him away from contact for 4 days and if no symptoms appear then I would clear him for contact. Hell maybe even a week, I don't want to rush him.

Not to sound like a jerk but MLSE has doctors employed for this exact reason. If they are willing to clear him and say "he's ready" then I really can't argue with them. Now if they start talking about rock strata I will tear them up but medical conditions like concussions they know far more than me.

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
excited to see him. would love if he could get into the first B2B for some fresh legs, but I'm not expecting him until the end of next week.

as long as he can get at least 2 games before the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad