Confirmed with Link: Joey LaLeggia signed to ELC

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Laleggia signed because he was drafted by us, and because RNH is his childhood bff. He probably doesn't know anything about Nelson/Eakins past what Nuge talks to him about.

It's scuttlebutt and rumours (some more substantiated than others)... but it's fairly well known that many Oilers players didn't like Eakins and I think it's safe to say that having a disliked (or hated) coach does have an impact on UFA aquisitions and other signings... and on roster players wanting to stay in Edmonton.

I don't doubt one bit that some key players would have left this org within 1-2 years with the way things were going in Edmonton. You could easily argue Perron was one casualty... Yak was likely going to be a casualty... Lander might have been dumped on waivers again... we know Belov specifically left because of Eakins... Dubnyk's demise here was at least in large part due to the Eakins factor. The Petry situation might have been a lot different without Eakins here for 1.5 years.

It's of course speculation what would have happened if MacT would have stuck to Eakins for another 2.5 years but this team was literally imploding before our eyes with basically everyone regressing and infighting was increasing.

Yes I do think that all that chaos and turmoil would have had an affect on any signings and I'm glad that's all behind us now (hopefully).

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The only reason Nuge suggested him was because they were very close friends, which also means that he had inside information. It doesn't mean he could do it in other cases where he doesn't have that inside info.

As for Eakins vs Nelson, I do think that the Nuge connection is most important here, but maybe if Eakins were still here Nuge would tell him to go elsewhere for his own sake.

RNH played with him and knew his level of skill, it wasn't just "draft my friend even though he sucks". RNH is one of if not the smartest player on our team IMO, so he'd know a good hockey player when he sees/plays against one.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Posted this on main board, but here are my expectations:

Floor: Brad Hunt (Good AHL player, cant cut in the NHL)
Realistic upside: Kris Russell (before this year, so solid bottom pairing guy)
Hopeful upside: Barrie/Krug/ Enstrom (unlikely)
Best case: Shattenkirk, Timeonon

If you look at his college stats, he compares favorably to Krug, Shattenkirk, in fact almost any similar college D prospect

I realize not all D develop in the same way, and some progess differently then others. But its not outlandish to have high expectations based on similar D. He is sound defensively by most scouting reports to, so has a lot of tools to work with (hockey IQ, skating, offensive ability)

Size is an issue, but hasn't stopped the above guys

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
RNH played with him and knew his level of skill, it wasn't just "draft my friend even though he sucks". RNH is one of if not the smartest player on our team IMO, so he'd know a good hockey player when he sees/plays against one.

Laleggia was also coming off a freshman of the year award in the NCAA, so not exactly a scrub

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Laleggia is getting rave reviews from those who've watched him on the main board.

I think he's our second-best D prospect.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Laleggia is getting rave reviews from those who've watched him on the main board.

I think he's our second-best D prospect.

Check twitter too and search Laleggia, he gets a ton of love from Denver fans and from NCAA watchers too as well.

I think it goes

Nurse
Klefbom (NHL D but here for reference)

Marincin
Laleggia

Simpson
Davidson
Musil
Betker
Lagesson
Gernat

Marincin and Laleggia the only ones with top 4 upside

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Check twitter too and search Laleggia, he gets a ton of love from Denver fans and from NCAA watchers too as well.

I think it goes

Nurse

Marincin
Laleggia

Simpson
Davidson
Musil
Betker
Lagesson
Gernat

I would agree with that list.

If we end up drafting Hanifin, IMO you'd immediately add him to that upper group with Nurse/Klef.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland

I think it goes

Nurse

Marincin
Laleggia

Simpson
Davidson
Musil
Betker
Lagesson
Gernat

Ference

I added second reference (the bolded one)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Still not on the OKC roster according to their official site. He has yet to play a game down there which is very disappointing seeing as Morrison got right after it. I wonder if he's thinking twice about signing a PTO?

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Still not on the OKC roster according to their official site. He has yet to play a game down there which is very disappointing seeing as Morrison got right after it. I wonder if he's thinking twice about signing a PTO?

He probably has classes he's trying to finish

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
I dont think so. He was on the radio earlier in the week talking about being given a small break after the NCAA season. Said he was supposed to go to OKC this weekend.
He probably has classes he's trying to finish
Nah, he has already graduated. Finished his classes early.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
-5 after his first two professional games, pretty rough start. You can see he can move the puck, but hasn't looked to be real strong in his own end and getting outmuscled, but it will take him awhile to get used to playing established pros not college youngsters. Extremely small sample size just first impression thus far.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
-5 after his first two professional games, pretty rough start. You can see he can move the puck, but hasn't looked to be real strong in his own end and getting outmuscled, but it will take him awhile to get used to playing established pros not college youngsters. Extremely small sample size just first impression thus far.

Thanks for the update. What kind of ice time was he getting? who was he partnered with?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I expected him to take time to get used to the pro game. At least he'll know what he needs to work on in the offseason. That said I still like his upside going forward.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Posted this on main board, but here are my expectations:

Floor: Brad Hunt (Good AHL player, cant cut in the NHL)
Realistic upside: Kris Russell (before this year, so solid bottom pairing guy)
Hopeful upside: Barrie/Krug/ Enstrom (unlikely)
Best case: Shattenkirk, Timeonon

If you look at his college stats, he compares favorably to Krug, Shattenkirk, in fact almost any similar college D prospect

I realize not all D develop in the same way, and some progess differently then others. But its not outlandish to have high expectations based on similar D. He is sound defensively by most scouting reports to, so has a lot of tools to work with (hockey IQ, skating, offensive ability)

Size is an issue, but hasn't stopped the above guys

I think your projection is highly optimistic. Personally, I think he's realistically a Brad Hunt lite as a projection, who might string a decent AHL career and maybe get some NHL games. Doesn't have Kris Russell's toughness to go along with great skating and puck distribution.

I also wouldn't look at his college stats solely to project his NHL potential. He's going to face much greater physical style of play, speed of game and quality of competition.

He's a nice project and story with the RNH friendship but along way from becoming an NHL defensemen.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
I think your projection is highly optimistic. Personally, I think he's realistically a Brad Hunt lite as a projection, who might string a decent AHL career and maybe get some NHL games. Doesn't have Kris Russell's toughness to go along with great skating and puck distribution.

I also wouldn't look at his college stats solely to project his NHL potential. He's going to face much greater physical style of play, speed of game and quality of competition.

He's a nice project and story with the RNH friendship but along way from becoming an NHL defensemen.

Why would you expect him to be worse tan Hunt? His goal production in college was twice of what Hunt did and reaally elite for a college defenceman.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Why would you expect him to be worse tan Hunt? His goal production in college was twice of what Hunt did and reaally elite for a college defenceman.

Hunt was with a pretty average program scoring wise which clearly deflated his production numbers. I think his team scored 103 total goals his senior year. Legs has been in a solid program. Hunt has an elite shot, a singular elite tool that help an undersized player to battle for a roster spot.

Legs looks more like a puck distributor which is solid but I doubt elite enough to overcome size, weak physical, and pretty pedestrian own zone coverage. Great kids by all reports but I caution against overhyping the kid. A Hunt like career path is more likely than not.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hunt was with a pretty average program scoring wise which clearly deflated his production numbers. I think his team scored 103 total goals his senior year. Legs has been in a solid program. Hunt has an elite shot, a singular elite tool that help an undersized player to battle for a roster spot.

Legs looks more like a puck distributor which is solid but I doubt elite enough to overcome size, weak physical, and pretty pedestrian own zone coverage. Great kids by all reports but I caution against overhyping the kid. A Hunt like career path is more likely than not.

Hunt was 24 when he started his first full AHL season, LaLeggia will be 23 at the start of his first full pro season. That's a full year of strength training and development. IMO you are selling LaLeggia short, yes he needs to get stronger but no one was expecting him to step right in and dominate the NHL.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I tend to agree with this. I have watched Laleggia enough to see that you are right on the mark here.

He doesnt have a single skillset that is strong enough to carry him to a successful NHL career.
He could improve but the smart money says that he will be a #7 NHL dman at best.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hunt was 24 when he started his first full AHL season, LaLeggia will be 23 at the start of his first full pro season. That's a full year of strength training and development. IMO you are selling LaLeggia short, yes he needs to get stronger but no one was expecting him to step right in and dominate the NHL.

Appreciate your opinion Bryan.

I get a little giggle about selling a 5'10" defenseman short ;)

On the strength front though, we're talking about two adults not a 19 year old kid and a 24 year old. Legs has had four college years to work on his weakness. This off season I would anticipate no difference.

My comment was to an original poster who projects second pairing NHL defenseman with higher ceiling than a wide swath of other prospect/project dmen. I find that highly challenging. He's not lit the A on fire struggling to lineup with a team with tons of injury.

Prospects tend to get overhyped on this board. So few actually make and put a dent in the NHL. And this team despite the cherry draft positioning has not shown ability to draft successfully outside of first overall. I miss the Magificent ******* hyperbole wherever and whoever started that.

Legs is a longshot who I truly hope can break the Magnificent ******* curse. Just won't bet any dollars on it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Appreciate your opinion Bryan.

I get a little giggle about selling a 5'10" defenseman short ;)

On the strength front though, we're talking about two adults not a 19 year old kid and a 24 year old. Legs has had four college years to work on his weakness. This off season I would anticipate no difference.

My comment was to an original poster who projects second pairing NHL defenseman with higher ceiling than a wide swath of other prospect/project dmen. I find that highly challenging. He's not lit the A on fire struggling to lineup with a team with tons of injury.

Prospects tend to get overhyped on this board. So few actually make and put a dent in the NHL. And this team despite the cherry draft positioning has not shown ability to draft successfully outside of first overall. I miss the Magificent ******* hyperbole wherever and whoever started that.

Legs is a longshot who I truly hope can break the Magnificent ******* curse. Just won't bet any dollars on it.

He is a long shot but the kid can play. I watched a fair bit of him in his sophomore year. It was a bit of a rebuilding year for Denver after losing Drew Shore and Jason Zucker. I was surprised at how good he was defensively despite his size.

I'd also say that it is a bit early to write off the drafting after the first. Lander looks like he might be the player he was projected to be. Marincin is definitely coming around, and if he stays healthy Pitlick can be a regular NHL'er. Others like Davidson and Musil could still be NHL'ers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He is a long shot but the kid can play. I watched a fair bit of him in his sophomore year. It was a bit of a rebuilding year for Denver after losing Drew Shore and Jason Zucker. I was surprised at how good he was defensively despite his size.

I'd also say that it is a bit early to write off the drafting after the first. Lander looks like he might be the player he was projected to be. Marincin is definitely coming around, and if he stays healthy Pitlick can be a regular NHL'er. Others like Davidson and Musil could still be NHL'ers.

Thanks for your comments Fourier. Agree that LaLeggia can play and has succeeded as a college player progressing his results over a full four year tenure. He deserves a look. You've clearly seen him more than I (no live viewings only maybe 3-4 televised games over the past couple years). I just don't see elite offensive ability to overcome a lack of strength and ability to defend to become an NHL regular.

As an sagging Oiler fan, I sure hope to be proven wrong.

We'll differ in terms of assessing the results of Edmonton's amateur scouting staff. From the words of their own General Manager today, amateur scouting has not met the expectation of the bountiful draft position it has had for the past five - six years. Top second round picks Lander and Marancin are okay support players but hardly move the needle players that quality organizations find which build championship teams. Cherry picking one example Detroit has a potential starting goalie in Peter Mrazek drafted 141 overall. LA signed quality backup Martin Jones as an unrestricted free agent from a junior team just three hours south.

Goaltending drafting has been just one of the massive fails and in the Oilers case they had to give up a proven NHL defender to trade for a young goalie who played literally in their backyard with a junior team they own.

Beyond McTavish's own word, my eyeball test, the other measure I look at is the Hockey News Future Watch built upon pro scouts assessment of thirty teams. The Oil fail to cover the best drafting status of all thirty teams.

The failure to draft quality talent outside lottery land has hurt filling out an NHL roster. It has also prevented a depth of prospective trade chips to move for proven NHL talent on a badly built team bereft of quality NHL players.

Hope that LaLeggia can beat the odds. But I am going to view this with a somewhat jaundiced eye both in terms of the player's developmental needs and in the organization's eyeballs assessing amateur talent into professional NHL quality players. I see some hope the past couple of years draft crops but the NHL is such a tough jump to make from AHL, below that CHL and NCAA. :(

Ten years of futility has warn me out. Living the Calgary Flamers dream season here in Cowtown has eliminated my patience... for patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad