Confirmed with Link: Joey LaLeggia signed to ELC

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Yeah, for non-elite prospects.
Hanifin will be at BC for 1 more year max. He might even make a roster right away if he has an outstanding training camp.
Seems likely. It makes no financial sense to stay the full 4.
^though i wonder if he really plays out all 4 years?
You're right. Unlikely for sure, especially if he's looking at maxing career earnings.
^yes, i agree! 1 more year max. that's still fine....we would be looking at having Hanifin and perhaps Nurse looking at trying to make the team in a couple of years and that is not a bad thing. Ference's contract is up in 2 more seasons, so if MacT is too gutless to trade him or buy him out, he'll be gone anyways.
It does fit the timeline of what we have for sure. I think Nurse may make the team. He'll likely start in OKC but won't stay there long IMO. If Hanafin comes the year after, that's pretty good timing. From a development POV, I'd prefer Hanafin play in the AHL but that's his choice I guess, if he's eligible.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Aren't there a number of undersized young D men in the league? Krug, Ellis, Barrie, Vatenen etc. I don't think Lalaggia's size will be insurmountable.

Undersized is undoubtedly a disadvantage, but if you're good enough, you can still be successful.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Aren't there a number of undersized young D men in the league? Krug, Ellis, Barrie, Vatenen etc. I don't think Lalaggia's size will be insurmountable.

Spurgeon too. Karlsson isn't exactly a hulk either but world class skill.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The odds are probably he'll be a Brad Hunt lol. Although he did have a better college career than Hunt and is a touch bigger. And it doesn't mean you don't try with him.

I'd be pretty happy if he became Krug who is a pretty good player imo.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Agreed, if a guy plays good positional hockey you can over come it. We will find out soon enough, guys that size in my mind have to impress fairly quickly.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I don't get all this *****ing about his size like my god he is 5'10 180 and it is "nearly impossible to handle" the NHL at Hunt's size which is 10 pounds heavier so you mean to tell me that a 190 pound guy could not handle the physicality of the NHL.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think being undersized is a disadvantage in the right situation, but the problem is most of the Oilers D are undersized.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I don't think being undersized is a disadvantage in the right situation, but the problem is most of the Oilers D are undersized.

Marincin 6'4 203
Fayne 6'3 215
Klefbom 6'3 210
Schultz 6'2 196
Ference 5'11 184
Nikitin 6'4 217

Average height: 6'2.5" Average weight: 204

That is not an undersized D corps.

Edit: This is along with Nurse in the system at 6'4 and is already 205. Then you potentially factor in Hanifin who at 18 is 6'3 and 205.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Okay, but they're still rather soft.
I will agree on that one but the thing is it is kind of hard to change that quality to an extent we have Nurse who will come in and help hopefully. The thing is it is hard to get good defensemen with mean streaks that can play top 4 most of them are lower pairing guys.

I just don't see a scenario where the oilers get a big scary D I think I would be happy if most of them could break a cycle and at least seem to give a crap to protect the goalie.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
It is pretty small for a NHL defender though. Just to use a comparison, Brad Hunt is 5 foot 9 and 187 lbs. This kid looks good but i think he will be a long shot to be a NHL regular.

Doug Weight was our top centermen during the most physical time in the NHL and was only 1" taller and only had 15 pounds on this guy.

Though Laleggia isn't anything like Doug Weight other than size, if he has hockey IQ it will take him further than the low IQ refridgeration units the Oilers were so fond of in years past.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I will agree on that one but the thing is it is kind of hard to change that quality to an extent we have Nurse who will come in and help hopefully. The thing is it is hard to get good defensemen with mean streaks that can play top 4 most of them are lower pairing guys.

I just don't see a scenario where the oilers get a big scary D I think I would be happy if most of them could break a cycle and at least seem to give a crap to protect the goalie.

Let's hope. Management seems to be sold on the idea of many small puck-moving d-men. I'm excited about Nurse but I hope they keep him in the AHL for at least one season.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Let's hope. Management seems to be sold on the idea of many small puck-moving d-men. I'm excited about Nurse but I hope they keep him in the AHL for at least one season.

I will be I just don't want them chasing refrigerators who can't play because they are physical over guys like Fayne who may not be the most physical but have good positioning and can break a cycle just as well or better because they can skate.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010

There's nothing wrong with having a small Dman on a roster. But what are you talking about with the word "many"? If a player is soft, that's one thing... but that's not the same thing as small.

Hunt is an AHLer, and even Schultz is 6'1.

So I'm really not sure of your point.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
im glad we have a player drafted outside the second round that even has the potential to be a player. i dont care about size its the stupidest argument on these boards day in day out.

Divine Wind

Yeah, for non-elite prospects.
Hanifin will be at BC for 1 more year max. He might even make a roster right away if he has an outstanding training camp.

We will have no way of knowing that if he goes back to college next year though, he would not be able to attend training camp. The prospect camp is even iffy, as an NCAA player, he must pay his own way so no guarantee he would be there either.

Divine Wind

Doug Weight was our top centermen during the most physical time in the NHL and was only 1" taller and only had 15 pounds on this guy.

Though Laleggia isn't anything like Doug Weight other than size, if he has hockey IQ it will take him further than the low IQ refridgeration units the Oilers were so fond of in years past.

Physical? I wouldn't say that, it was the clutch and grab era where the game slowed down substantially. I also think it is easier to be a small offensive forward than a small defense man, completely different responsibilities.

He may be a player but with his size, he will always have problems against the big forwards of the western conference in front of the net and in the corners. If he can compensate with a good stick and positioning, he may work out, i just am not holding my breath that he will become a legit top 4 option or make an impact at the NHL level.

Divine Wind

Spurgeon too. Karlsson isn't exactly a hulk either but world class skill.

Does anyone describe Laleggia as have world class skill though? He is a nice prospect with potential but i think people need to tender their expectations and realize that he is still a long way away from being a NHLer and has a lot of work ahead of him.

I think we can all agree though we will be watching what he does in the minors next year closely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad