Confirmed with Link: Joey LaLeggia signed to ELC

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He's had an excellent hockey career in college. Of course they signed him. He would have been one of the most highly sought collage free agents if he was undrafted.

Just heard him on Stauffer. Joey said he's 5'10 and 180. So he is a small guy, but not impossibly small.

Our current D-core and most of our legit D prospects are 6'2 or above. Schultz is the only softer one but still 6'1

Having Nurse,Klefbom,Marincin,Fayne and maybe Hanifin allows for a smaller offensive D

Basically a more competitive, better defensive, tougher, more dynamic offensive Schultz

Good on the PP but wasn't a one trick pony like Schultz in NCAA

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, and with the Oilers it is as much a willingness to play physical than it is to have the frame to do it. You can take an opponent out of the play without creaming him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Will he be Tory Krug or Brad Hunt?

Much better numbers then Hunt in college, better numbers than Krug to. Up to him to prove it tho

Just a general comment, but Ference is like 5'11 and is/was regarded as a tough as nails shut down D. Its about the competitiveness of the player. Small but still tough

Divine Wind

5'10, 185lbs is not a shrimp though. He's stocky and thick for his frame.

NCHC offensive defenseman of the year
NCHC defenseman of the year
NCHC player of the year

He also won two of those last year. To be negative about him means you're just looking for excuses to be negative.

It is pretty small for a NHL defender though. Just to use a comparison, Brad Hunt is 5 foot 9 and 187 lbs. This kid looks good but i think he will be a long shot to be a NHL regular.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The odds are probably he'll be a Brad Hunt lol. Although he did have a better college career than Hunt and is a touch bigger. And it doesn't mean you don't try with him.

Actually Hunt is stockier than Laleggia...1 inch shorter and about 10 lbs heavier. Even with that extra 10lbs it was next to impossible for Hunt to handle the physicality in the NHL. Laleggia is a better skater though so that may be his saving grace.

Not surprised Laleggia was signed however I will be very surprised if he turns out to be an effective NHL player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Legssss

Awesome signing. Get him in the AHL asap, maybe an NHL game for fun

I have more faith in him then I do any D prospect below the big 3. From all accounts size isn't an issue

Size is an issue, make no mistake about it. It's an obstacle he'll have to overcome at the NHL level, but exceptional hockey IQ and excellent skating can make up for that and he has some of that so it'll be interesting to follow his progress.

Does he immediately report to the Barons now?

Edit: I see that my question was already answered. I don't think he'll see much playing time though.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not surprised. A lot of U.S. guys want to play out their 4 years. It's a big deal for them.

Yeah, for non-elite prospects.
Hanifin will be at BC for 1 more year max. He might even make a roster right away if he has an outstanding training camp.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Excellent. Nuge must be very happy to have his buddy signed. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the AHL for the rest of the season. He's still eligible to play regular season AHL games, right? Just not playoff ones?

About his size, there are a number of effective NHL D-men around his size and weight. It all depends on his speed, stick work and most importantly, hockey IQ. He's long been a darkhorse favourite of mine, so I am not willing to write off a possible NHL career just based on his size and weight quite yet.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not surprised. A lot of U.S. guys want to play out their 4 years. It's a big deal for them.

Theres zero chance Hanifin plays more than 2 years of NCAA. I would be shocked if he went back this season. The teams that drafts him is going to push him hard to sign a pro contract and waive some significant cash infront of his face. Not only that, but he is AHL ready and best for development. Id say he has a better chance of being in the NHL next year then going back to AHL

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Hanifin will be at BC for 1 more year max. He might even make a roster if he has an outstanding training camp.

Off topic, but if Hanifin decides to return to school, he won't be at any team's training camp.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Hanifin will be at BC for 1 more year max. He might even make a roster right away if he has an outstanding training camp.

^yes, i agree! 1 more year max. that's still fine....we would be looking at having Hanifin and perhaps Nurse looking at trying to make the team in a couple of years and that is not a bad thing. Ference's contract is up in 2 more seasons, so if MacT is too gutless to trade him or buy him out, he'll be gone anyways.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Off topic, but if Hanifin decides to return to school, he won't be at any team's training camp.

Ah yes, I believe you're correct.

Regardless, I think he spends one more year in college at the most.

It's an interesting situation because we haven't seen many elite level college draftees as of late so it's difficult to predict what will happen directly after the draft especially with him being a Dman. If he and the team feel that he's NHL ready now, he'll likely sign the contract now and forego his final years of college eligibility.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think Kris Russell is another good comparable for style. Obviously this year he is a good #4, but career up until now was good bottom pairing guy

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He's had an excellent hockey career in college. Of course they signed him. He would have been one of the most highly sought collage free agents if he was undrafted.

Just heard him on Stauffer. Joey said he's 5'10 and 180. So he is a small guy, but not impossibly small.

5-10 180 is work able if he can skate at the nhl, move the puck and learns how to takea hit--that is one reason why I think the oilers should have the plan for him to be on the farm for two years

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Ah yes, I believe you're correct.

Regardless, I think he spends one more year in college at the most.

It's an interesting situation because we haven't seen many elite level college draftees as of late so it's difficult to predict what will happen directly after the draft especially with him being a Dman. If he and the team feel that he's NHL ready now, he'll likely sign the contract now and forego his final years of college eligibility.

Even if they're not convinced, but want to see him in camp, they'll still push hard to get him in, and then to Bakersfield for at least a year.

$$ is convincing. And the Oilers affiliate development system is improving drastically next year...having him play with Nurse, Betker, Legs, Draisaitl, Yakimov, etc. In Bakersfield, with all the practices and gym hours, learning the systems the Oil want them to learn...it's the best place to be for our AHL-eligible prospects.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Even if they're not convinced, but want to see him in camp, they'll still push hard to get him in, and then to Bakersfield for at least a year.

$$ is convincing. And the Oilers affiliate development system is improving drastically next year...having him play with Nurse, Betker, Legs, Draisaitl, Yakimov, etc. In Bakersfield, with all the practices and gym hours, learning the systems the Oil want them to learn...it's the best place to be for our AHL-eligible prospects.

That would be ideal but I think if the choice is AHL or college despite the allure of the big ELC, that he will choose college then head straight into the NHL the year after. Just a hunch

However, there really isn't much precedent for elite college Dmen draftees so it's virtually impossible to predict what he and the team choose to do.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Aren't there a number of undersized young D men in the league? Krug, Ellis, Barrie, Vatenen etc. I don't think Lalaggia's size will be insurmountable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad