Confirmed with Link: Joey LaLeggia signed to ELC

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Does anyone describe Laleggia as have world class skill though? He is a nice prospect with potential but i think people need to tender their expectations and realize that he is still a long way away from being a NHLer and has a lot of work ahead of him.

I think we can all agree though we will be watching what he does in the minors next year closely.

He was also a long shot to do well in the NCAA against men-sized competition and he's been blowing that league up this year and last.

He's Schultz, but a bit smaller (let's not pretend Schultz uses his extra 3 inches of height), and better at defense, and plays gritty and hard. Probably trades a step offensively to add those elements to his game.

My expectations are pretty tempered. I'm excited for him, and I expect he'll play in the NHL, and be more of an impact than: Aulie, Hunt, Nikitin, Ference, Oesterle, Davidson, Gernat, Musil, Peckham, etc. A solid 3rd pairing guy we don't hate on. That's enough to be excited about, especially considering when he was drafted.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Does anyone describe Laleggia as have world class skill though? He is a nice prospect with potential but i think people need to tender their expectations and realize that he is still a long way away from being a NHLer and has a lot of work ahead of him.

I think we can all agree though we will be watching what he does in the minors next year closely.

Toronto fans are all giddy about landing Casey Bailey, and yet Laleggia tied him in scoring, as a defenseman, AND is younger. He's a good prospect. I highly doubt he's NHL ready, but we deserve to get excited about prospects from time to time

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

World class no, but if you made a list of all offensive defenseman in the NCAA and there ppg coming out of NCAA as a senior/ junior, laleggia is pronaly the highest

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Physical? I wouldn't say that, it was the clutch and grab era where the game slowed down substantially. I also think it is easier to be a small offensive forward than a small defense man, completely different responsibilities.

He may be a player but with his size, he will always have problems against the big forwards of the western conference in front of the net and in the corners. If he can compensate with a good stick and positioning, he may work out, i just am not holding my breath that he will become a legit top 4 option or make an impact at the NHL level.

The clutch grab era favored giant players more than it does now, I think smaller players have it easier today regardless of conference.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Great to hear. He could have walked this summer and signed anywhere, so this isn't just a normal signing. He's far exceeded his draft potential. He would be sought after.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He was also a long shot to do well in the NCAA against men-sized competition and he's been blowing that league up this year and last.

He's Schultz, but a bit smaller (let's not pretend Schultz uses his extra 3 inches of height), and better at defense, and plays gritty and hard. Probably trades a step offensively to add those elements to his game.

My expectations are pretty tempered. I'm excited for him, and I expect he'll play in the NHL, and be more of an impact than: Aulie, Hunt, Nikitin, Ference, Oesterle, Davidson, Gernat, Musil, Peckham, etc. A solid 3rd pairing guy we don't hate on. That's enough to be excited about, especially considering when he was drafted.
Laleggia can actually shoot the puck very well unlike Schultz. He will be an asset on the pp if he gets to the nhl

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's had an excellent hockey career in college. Of course they signed him. He would have been one of the most highly sought collage free agents if he was undrafted.

Just heard him on Stauffer. Joey said he's 5'10 and 180. So he is a small guy, but not impossibly small.

As long as he's strong and knows how to use a lower center of gravity to his advantage his size won't limit him that much.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tyson Barrie is 5'10" 190lbs. I have been saying for some time that I hope that he will be our Barrie.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He wears #21 so I guess that means Ference is getting traded right? Right? RIGHT?!

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
But does he have Norris potential?

Seriously though, you could tell me that Justin Schultz is 5'9 and 170 lbs, and if didn't know any better but only watched him play, I'd believe you. It's all in how he plays and how strong he is. He's not far off Ference's size, who can handle the physical game quite well.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Or Timonen. Best example IMO.

Or Visnovsky. Or MA Bergeron. Or Enstrom. There are lots of examples of smaller offensive d-men having various levels of success in the league.

His size wont prevent him from being an NHL player. He's just gotta be good enough lol.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Excited to see what he can bring. This is great news. Definitely a lot of potential and promise with this one.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Oilers' Rafalski to go with Oilers' Lidstrom, Klefbom.
We can always dream, right? :yo:

I haven't watched much of LaLeggia outside of the games last week. But by all accounts he has a good pedigree and at least a chance of becoming an NHL player. Hopefully he'll get some games for OKC down the stretch.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Be interesting to see how he does in the AHL for the rest of the season.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
With Eakins still at the helm... I doubt Laleggia would have signed... and probably at least 1 other Oiler would want out this summer... likely more.

For that alone Nelson coming in has been a triumph and I'm not even exaggerating.

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
I'm beyond thrilled. Been preaching this guy in the prospects thread... One of the late picks for the Oilers that has actually panned out. Sure he's on the smaller side, but look at Spurgeon in Minnesota... Smallish D-man that players top 4 minutes. Do I think he'll play in the top 4 at some point? It's possible. Do I see him as a perfect OFD (sorry Schultz) that plays sheltered minutes and mans the PP? For sure.

Why two, not three years?

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
With Eakins still at the helm... I doubt Laleggia would have signed... and probably at least 1 other Oiler would want out this summer... likely more.

For that alone Nelson coming in has been a triumph and I'm not even exaggerating.

Laleggia signed because he was drafted by us, and because RNH is his childhood bff. He probably doesn't know anything about Nelson/Eakins past what Nuge talks to him about.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Laleggia signed because he was drafted by us, and because RNH is his childhood bff. He probably doesn't know anything about Nelson/Eakins past what Nuge talks to him about.

ie. it's a good thing that Eakins is gone. Who would want to sign with a team where the coach seemingly saps the life and creativity out of its skilled players?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I'm beyond thrilled. Been preaching this guy in the prospects thread... One of the late picks for the Oilers that has actually panned out. Sure he's on the smaller side, but look at Spurgeon in Minnesota... Smallish D-man that players top 4 minutes. Do I think he'll play in the top 4 at some point? It's possible. Do I see him as a perfect OFD (sorry Schultz) that plays sheltered minutes and mans the PP? For sure.

Why two, not three years?

I am pretty sure the number of years is determined by his age. He signed after 4 years of college and 2 years is the contract he could be offered at this age.

Also, if Legs turns into a player, does anyone else think Nuge should get a voice pre-draft? Were the Oilers even looking at LaLeggia before Nuge brought him to their attention?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I am pretty sure the number of years is determined by his age. He signed after 4 years of college and 2 years is the contract he could be offered at this age.

Also, if Legs turns into a player, does anyone else think Nuge should get a voice pre-draft? Were the Oilers even looking at LaLeggia before Nuge brought him to their attention?
The only reason Nuge suggested him was because they were very close friends, which also means that he had inside information. It doesn't mean he could do it in other cases where he doesn't have that inside info.

As for Eakins vs Nelson, I do think that the Nuge connection is most important here, but maybe if Eakins were still here Nuge would tell him to go elsewhere for his own sake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad