Confirmed with Link: Joey Daccord - signed two year ELC

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
At this point, I’m liking Nilsson more. If there is a market for Andy, I say trade him.
I don't understand why they didn't move any of them already. Since next season will be a definite tank, it'd move Anderson, get a reasonable pick in return and save the cap space. Sign Nilsson for 2 years and run Hogberg with him for next season.

When 2021 comes and the team hopefully is ready to compete for playoff spots, some of the prospects (or Nilsson) might have showed starter quality. But if not, there should be plenty of cap room to sign a UFA proven goalie or trade for one.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Guys, no one is going to touch Craig Anderson. He's going to be 38 in May, makes over 4m next season, and there are clear signs of decline in his game. Even if we retained 50% I doubt we could find a taker.

That said, I still think that Ottawa represents Daccord's best opportunity to play in the NHL soon. Anderson will play out the last year of his deal, Condon is likely to be dumped or bought out, and Nilsson is unlikely to be brought back. As others have already said, an Anderson/Hogberg combo here next year, with the hope that Hogberg can play well enough to be the starter, seems like the best bet. That leaves Gus and Daccord in Belleville. Basically, if you're Daccord it means you only have to beat out one of either Gus or Hogberg to play in the show. I like those odds if I am him.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Anderson-Hogberg in Ottawa
Gus-Daccord tandem in Belleville.

For that to happen, the Sens need to be able to sign Daccord, get rid of Condon somehow and Pierre Dorion has to resist the urge to sign another vet to play in Belleville with Gus. Ottawa Senators management love their AHL goalie vets (McKenna, Taylor)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We should trade Hogberg if there is a market for him.

He is probably peaking in value if his performance in the AHL is an indicator of anything, and if we promote him to the NHL, he will get destroyed behind this defense.

We also won't be able to protect both Hogberg and Gustavsson in expansion. Daccord will likely be exempt.

We should hold on to Nilsson. Salary/cap isn't an issue right now and the goalie market this upcoming offseason is incredibly soft. Give Nilsson a 3 year term so that we have someone we aren't worried about ruining behind this terrible defense who also can meet our expansion draft requirements in 2 seasons.

Keep Anderson/Nilsson and hope to flip Anderson in the second half of the season if a contender loses their starter and gets desperate.

I think they are a tandem who is just good enough to keep us from getting shelled nightly, but not good enough to take over games and ruin what should be a last place season to get us a good shot at a much needed franchise player in Lafreniere.

Anderson/Nilsson=NHL
Gustavsson=AHL Starter
Daccord=ECHL starter

Promote Daccord to the AHL after getting his feet wet in the ECHL, promote Gus or Daccord to the NHL in the new year when Anderson is dealt leading into the deadline.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We should trade Hogberg if there is a market for him.

He is probably peaking in value if his performance in the AHL is an indicator of anything, and if we promote him to the NHL, he will get destroyed behind this defense.

We also won't be able to protect both Hogberg and Gustavsson in expansion. Daccord will likely be exempt.

We should hold on to Nilsson. Salary/cap isn't an issue right now and the goalie market this upcoming offseason is incredibly soft. Give Nilsson a 3 year term so that we have someone we aren't worried about ruining behind this terrible defense who also can meet our expansion draft requirements in 2 seasons.

Keep Anderson/Nilsson and hope to flip Anderson in the second half of the season if a contender loses their starter and gets desperate.

I think they are a tandem who is just good enough to keep us from getting shelled nightly, but not good enough to take over games and ruin what should be a last place season to get us a good shot at a much needed franchise player in Lafreniere.

Anderson/Nilsson=NHL
Gustavsson=AHL Starter
Daccord=ECHL starter

Promote Daccord to the AHL after getting his feet wet in the ECHL, promote Gus or Daccord to the NHL in the new year when Anderson is dealt leading into the deadline.

IMO they should consider Hogberg as having 1G potential and do what they can to keep him... The expansion rules say they have to expose 1 goalie under contract in the coming season. Whatever they do that should not be Hogberg or Gus.. I agree Daccord should be safe. Burying Condon for that purpose would be the smart thing to do.

Reactions: BatherSeason

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
IMO they should consider Hogberg as having 1G potential and do what they can to keep him... The expansion rules say they have to expose 1 goalie under contract in the coming season. Whatever they do that should not be Hogberg or Gus.. I agree Daccord should be safe. Burying Condon for that purpose would be the smart thing to do.

They have to expose 1 goalie who meets the requirements.

But...they can only protect 1 goalie.

One of Hogberg or Gustavsson will be exposed.

If they think Hogberg has NHL 1G potential and that he could survive playing behind this tirefire next season, they should keep him because they won't get 1G value for him in a trade right now. I am operating under the assumption that isn't the case when I say they should sell high on him after his impressive AHL run.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They have to expose 1 goalie who meets the requirements.

But...they can only protect 1 goalie.

One of Hogberg or Gustavsson will be exposed.

If they think Hogberg has NHL 1G potential and that he could survive playing behind this tirefire next season, they should keep him because they won't get 1G value for him in a trade right now. I am operating under the assumption that isn't the case when I say they should sell high on him after his impressive AHL run.

So if they have 3 goalies that meet the expansion expose criteria, I thought they only had to expose 1 and the other two by default are not eligible to be taken, not necessarily protected, although 1 would be. Are you sure 2 would be exposed by default of protecting one?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
So if they have 3 goalies that meet the expansion expose criteria, I thought they only had to expose 1 and the other two by default are not eligible to be taken, not necessarily protected, although 1 would be. Are you sure 2 would be exposed by default of protecting one?

They can only protect 1 goalie.

Out of all exposed goalies, AT LEAST one goalie has to meet the criteria in terms of being under contract or being a qualified RFA for the next season. Hence why I am suggesting Nilsson might get a 3 year contract. It allows the Senators to know that they'll have a goalie in their organization who will meet the requirements.

We have to lose one player in expansion, so it becomes a balancing act where if our best exposed player is exceedingly more valuable than our 2nd best projected exposed player, we then need to do something about it. But if we have 2-3 players of similar value, making moves to protect against expansion makes no sense since we have to lose one.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Awesome. This organization has so many young goalie prospects which is great to see. You never know how they will work out.

Reactions: Brannstorm

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

There was a Lebrun article last week that stated if Adam Fox (CAR) signed before the end of the 18-19 season that he would not have to play a game to burn a year of his ELC.

Lebrun also stated that by not playing in any games, despite burning year 1 of his ELC, he would not accrue a season towards expansion eligibility. (Aka he'd be exempt)

Assuming this is accurate, I'd imagine Daccord is in a similar boat. If so, he won't play a game.

Reactions: derriko

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
So is it 2 years and we're expected to burn one of them?

Good to see him sign reagrdless, but I'm just wondering if this is a 1 year deal dressed up as more.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
It will be interesting to see what kind of performance bonuses he receives. Capfriendly should have that info tomorrow.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
So is it 2 years and we're expected to burn one of them?

Good to see him sign reagrdless, but I'm just wondering if this is a 1 year deal dressed up as more.

It's an 18-19 ELC so I am fairly certain he does not have to play a game to burn the year. Signing an 18-19 contract for a player his age will result in the year being burned since the season is still ongoing.

Regardless of the semantics, he'll be an RFA in July 2020 (so yes, basically it's a 1 year deal).

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
giphy.gif

Indeed, great news (and I'm a little surprised).

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
There was a Lebrun article last week that stated if Adam Fox (CAR) signed before the end of the 18-19 season that he would not have to play a game to burn a year of his ELC.

Lebrun also stated that by not playing in any games, despite burning year 1 of his ELC, he would not accrue a season towards expansion eligibility. (Aka he'd be exempt)

Assuming this is accurate, I'd imagine Daccord is in a similar boat. If so, he won't play a game.

Here's the excerpt I am referring to.

(Of note, a source confirmed that Fox would burn the first year of his entry-level deal without even playing a game as long as he signs before that NHL team’s season ends, which includes the playoffs. Another interesting subplot is if Fox were to play an NHL game before the end of the season, he would need to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft of June 2021.)

LeBrun Notebook: Decision on Hobey Baker candidate Adam...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Stoked for this guy to be a Senator. Whenever I've seen him play in dev camp he looks legitimately like one of the best puck handling goalies I've ever seen.

I know it's a relatively minor part of being a goaltender, but I genuinely love watching goalies who can move the puck like that. Daccord is up there with some of the best I've ever seen at that aspect.

Especially having to watch the adventures of Craig Anderson every time he's left the net the last few seasons, it would be nice to have a guy like Daccord back there who could help with the transition game (mind you, guys like Chabot and Brannstrom certainly won't hurt in that regard either).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad