Joel Quenneville...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
This whole idea that a coach who just put out the ideal HF lines would have a couple more cups is ridiculous. Hockey has imperfect players, coaches, and there is a lot of puck luck involved as well. The Hawks aren't perfect but they've been pretty great across the board the past couple of years. Just my opinion, but I think the coaches and players share in that success.

It's funny because a lot of us think if Q just tinkered with some things…we'd have more cups. But isn't that what every fan base thinks? My Boston friends are convinced that Chicago stole the 2013 Cup after Julien couldn't get the PP going (sounds familiar), couldn't control Seguin, didn't have the team playing physical enough, and couldn't make late series adjustments to the Hawks speed.

Most of the talk on here is about lineup decisions…I think that's completely the wrong place to look. Everyone seems to hate Q's lineup…but then posts 100 different lineups in response. There's lineup controversy with any coach…read other team's boards. Grass isn't always greener.

I don't necessarily agree with Fiddy's point of view but I think he's the poster looking where it counts when evaluating Q. Every Fiddy post regarding Q is about whether the team plays for Q ("country club Q"). I personally disagree with Fiddy and think they do. This is where I think Q excels IMO.

-On all accounts Q gets along with Kane despite past issues…Julien was never able to do this with Seguin whose since been traded.
-Q has by all accounts formed a solid relationship with Canadian golden boy Toews…something Todd Mclellan was never able to do with former Canadian golden boy Joe Thornton whose captaincy was stripped.
-Q was able to win with unknown goaltending (Niemi, Crawford)…something Vigneault wasn't able to do with a now traded superstar goalie Luongo.
-The team has never turned on Q despite disappointing playoff exits (2011, 2012)…now rumors of controversy in LA with a similar 2 time Cup winning coach.

If Q were to lose the room I'd be the first to call for him to go. Looking around the league at his peers with stacked teams in Boston, LA, Vancouver, and San Jose…I think Q's done a good job of keeping his room. We could squabble all day about the #12 forward and #6 defenseman with any coach. Does anyone believe Toews would still be playing for Q if Q has single handedly lost multiple cups for the Hawks??? Toews would've shown Q the door just like Crosby did with Bylsma.

Last edited:

zac

Apr 29, 2009
TT out of the lineup is indefensible considering his play.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
TT out of the lineup is indefensible considering his play.

Any injury would be a defensible reason...lots of other defensible reasons we don't have to list. I'm not in the room though so I don't want to pretend to know.

If I see the guys in the room turn on Q that'll be the sign to me Q is doing "indefensible" things.

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
well, if you're(I'm) going to criticize or second guess Q, you have to give him props or at least acknowledge when his moves work out. The 4th line with Desjardins and Shaw (without TT) looked good. Vermette still didn't impress, but I don't think you change anything after a win. I'm sure TT, and most likely Nordstrom, will get their chance to get back in the lineup before it's all said and done.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
we are 2-1 in the POs. His decisons helped us win games. He is outcoaching Laviolette already.

Sure, Q sucks and his statline as Coach is nothing great.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
well, if you're(I'm) going to criticize or second guess Q, you have to give him props or at least acknowledge when his moves work out. The 4th line with Desjardins and Shaw (without TT) looked good. Vermette still didn't impress, but I don't think you change anything after a win. I'm sure TT, and most likely Nordstrom, will get their chance to get back in the lineup before it's all said and done.

I don't know a single person who thought Nordstrom should be in the lineup. So Q taking Nordstrom out and putting Desjardins in was a ****ing no brainer. Same with inserting Vermette into the lineup, which by default bumped Shaw down... Versteeg seems to still be absolutely untouchable on the Kane line(and on the 2nd PP unit...), and it doesn't matter how horrible Bickell is, he still plays. Sharp is still rotting away in limbo on the third line...when he's been one of the best forwards in this series. The PP units still make absolutely no sense, and are setup to fail. Why should people acknowledge the moves he makes, when people were calling for those moves THE WHOLE TIME? So we should praise Q for doing what the majority of intelligent Hawks' fans are suggesting all along? No.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
we are 2-1 in the POs. His decisons helped us win games. He is outcoaching Laviolette already.

Sure, Q sucks and his statline as Coach is nothing great.

Yeah? How is Q outcoaching Laviolette? Aside from having a MASSIVE advantage in offensive talent. That is the reason the Hawks are up 2-1. That, and the fact that Rinne has been very, very average since coming back from injury.

The Predators are currently playing without their best player and captain, and one of their best offensive players. Their Vezina caliber goalie is also playing well below standards. In what world should the Hawks NOT be up 2-1 in this series?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Dressing Desjardains
Go with Darling in game 1 & 3
His line match ups

Clear Advantage for us with Q

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
No advantage Q.

Best thing he did was put Darling in Game 1, then flubbed it with Crow for Game 2. Series might be 3-0 at this point.

Vermette is useless, only guy <50% on draws (his specialty).

11 should have been in for 42 all along. 86 at center pushes Shaw down to wing as well as 80 does.

Trying to sneak by with 32 starting the game followed up by 44 resulting in a quick penalty 1 minute in. Could have been a disaster. Continue this pattern and it will sting.

44, if he must be utilized, needs to be hidden on PP and very sheltered minutes. When I see Stalberg out against him I want to cry, he's that slow.

That's not all on Q though. That we don't have a more serviceable AHLer than that is sad, unless one wishes to use Cumiskey. (Still not homegrown though)

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
No advantage Q.

Best thing he did was put Darling in Game 1, then flubbed it with Crow for Game 2. Series might be 3-0 at this point.

Vermette is useless, only guy <50% on draws (his specialty).

11 should have been in for 42 all along. 86 at center pushes Shaw down to wing as well as 80 does.

Trying to sneak by with 32 starting the game followed up by 44 resulting in a quick penalty 1 minute in. Could have been a disaster. Continue this pattern and it will sting.

44, if he must be utilized, needs to be hidden on PP and very sheltered minutes. When I see Stalberg out against him I want to cry, he's that slow.

That's not all on Q though. That we don't have a more serviceable AHLer than that is sad, unless one wishes to use Cumiskey. (Still not homegrown though)

It's true, he really has nothing left in the tank.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Anybody else think stalberg is playing well? I'm surprised.

Not really, he's walking the ancient Dmen of times past, there was a play yesterday where he actually deked through then around Rozsival. It's one thing the speed around a guy in a straight line but to be able to play around with the puck a bit and then just blow by is something else.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dressing Desjardains
Go with Darling in game 1 & 3
His line match ups

Clear Advantage for us with Q

I agree.

Crawford traditionally has bounced back really well when he has been pulled. So history says you should start him Game 2. He didn't and Q went right to Darling in game 3. Overall this is the right move by Q and he handled it the right way.

Dressing 11 was a good move.

TT needs to replace Versteeg and should not have been replaced by Vermette.

81-19-20 - Line has looked great.
88-91-86
29-80-10 - With Sharpy finally going this line had jump and Bickell started to him and skate. Vermette plays good d and skated hard.
11-16-65 - Line played really well.

BobbleHeadNight*

Who does the "fire Q" crowd want to replace him and why?

BobbleHeadNight*

The why is pretty well established if you regularly read this boards. The rub is in the whom.

The "why" I'm talking about is the replacement. i.e., why would he be an improvement?

I assume it will be the coach of whoever eventually beats the Hawks and/or wins the Cup, if anyone.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No advantage Q.

You would have started Darling in game 2 when Crawford has shown he bounces back strong all season? That is not how you handle goalies. You give your starter another chance. I agree with you on decent amount of posts but to say he flubbed this is just wrong and goes against how you handle goalies. Come you know better than that as a coach.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I would love Babcock as much as the next guy but he like Q will drive you all nuts with his love for vets. Cleary, Bertuzzi, etc.

Q is a top 3 coach in this league and until we miss the playoffs or have 2 first round exits in a row he will be going no where. I think we should be pretty happy with what we have. Anyone else hear Soupy talking about Q on ESPN 1000. Gives so good insight to how much the players love Q.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
I would love Babcock as much as the next guy but he like Q will drive you all nuts with his love for vets. Cleary, Bertuzzi, etc.

Q is a top 3 coach in this league and until we miss the playoffs or have 2 first round exits in a row he will be going no where. I think we should be pretty happy with what we have. Anyone else hear Soupy talking about Q on ESPN 1000. Gives so good insight to how much the players love Q.

Heard Soupy too. Have also heard Sopel echo the same sentiments.

This board will always be obsessed with line combos...kind of like every other unhappy team board on HF.

The room plays for Q though. Kane was in tears after Savard left after two years. Good luck to the next guy trying to get Toews and the room to buy in.

The comments about Q costing or almost costing us Cups crack me up the most. Think the room would stick behind him? Look at other star studded teams in Pitt and LA.

Babcock is as similar to Q as you can get. Veteran, puck possession coach who likes veterans. Odd choice for the Q haters.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Because....?

Babcock is a great coach. We've seen him command the room under great captains in Detriot and on the Olympic team. I also think his puck possession system would lead to any easier transition.

I just see it as a lateral move with the possibility to really shake the locker room. I just don't really see why you'd want to do this when the room, by all accounts, is behind Q.

If the room were to turn or if Q has had enough and doesn't want to be apart of a potential rebuild, I think Babcock would be my favorite. He's the most similar guy to Q that is out there.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yup, Babcock would instantly play all the young players and bench vets that can't hack it anymore. Ask Detroit fans how that turned out (until he was forced to).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad