Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
There's some things that just don't seem to click with him. For example, he can show some incredible dekes and then loose the puck very easily afterwards. That being said, he's a very effective player on forecheck, cycling and he has a good shot too. He's young too, he might be with us for several years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He is a great third liner and way more useful player than Shaw...

Well Shaw has been better with Domi and Drouin than Armia.

I'm not a big fan of either in the top 9 (unless Shaw can continue the production he had for a certain stretch). Both on the 4th line playing 12 minutes a night and replaced by guys with more offense like hopefully Suzuki and Poehling, or next summer's Skinner, in the top 9 would be ideal imo.

But if Armia can produce with Domi (he couldn't with Kotkaniemi or with Drouin and Domi), I'm fine with him in the top 9.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I was really impressed by his play last night. I think he's perfect on a third line

Yeah I liked his game too last night. Lots of chances and his usual good defensive play. But at some point you can't go a full season with a lot of good chances and no finish. If he can't produce, he's an elite 4th liner to me.

Hopefully we see actual offensive production with Domi.

Last edited:
Reactions: DangerDave
Nov 24, 2006
Jets fan here. How has Armia been for you? I was looking at his stats and he's only played in 21 games. Injured? Healthy scratch?

I loved him as a bottom 6 on the Jets and did not like having to trade him.

Toligwen

Jan 5, 2019
Short story :
Injured + got 1/2 healthy scratches iirc as well but not many.
I'd say he's a little out of place in a supposedly scoring role, although he puts some points. Great on the effort.
Overall a good piece

Reactions: Joe Strummer

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Jets fan here. How has Armia been for you? I was looking at his stats and he's only played in 21 games. Injured? Healthy scratch?

I loved him as a bottom 6 on the Jets and did not like having to trade him.

He brings something the jets have alot of but Montreal really lacks.

A guy who can retrieve pucks in the offensive zone, and shield it from dmen. That makes him pretty valuable.

He seems to be a good takeaway guy too, but he also serves up the odd massive turnover too.

Overall, I'm happy with him, and the only reason he missed games was due to a lengthy injury.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
He made some gaffs but good to see him back in the line up. His big body and ability to shield the puck is needed. And KK looked like he got an extra step playing with his idol.

Both of them watched Finland/Canada game at KK's house so they have a bond.

I don't expect him to be a PPG player but he will add a lot to KK's game and will use his body and positioning very well.
Must be amazing for the young Kotkaniemi to play with Armia in the NHL. When Kotka was a kid at 11-12 years old, his daddy was the ass. coach of their home team Ässät, while Joel Armia was the blue chip mega star who lead their team to the first Finnish League championship in 35 years. Now to be linemates with the same player is like a dream come true itself. Also they seem to complement each others' playing styles very well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was really impressed by his play last night. I think he's perfect on a third line

I think Armia would be a good fit with Danault on the 3rd line when Kotkaniemi, Domi/Poehling take the top 2 spots. Armia is the only guy we have who can maintain puck possession down low on the offensive end.

I like what Armia brings to the table. I got a chance to watch him more and understand his game. I think he is a turnover beast and his shot is solid. He lacks vision and play making so this is the reason why he don't belong in the top 6 IMO.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If he would have tucked in that one-handed wraparound last night that would have been awesome.

A grinder-ish player with some decent skill. I can see him being around for a quite a while.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
"When Kotka was a kid at 11-12 years old, his daddy was the ass. coach of their home team".........might want to spell out assistant next time lol
Well the team is literally called "Assat" so go figure. :sarcasm:

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I really love Armia, one mans army. I'm kinda fan of Winnipeg, but I'm cheering for so many teams right now, it really doesn't matter. I loved how Armia was playing in Winnipeg with a realistic role. Great on special teams as well the battling all night, every night, with the roster lower. Just a fantastic player all around and without the depth of Winnipeg, I think he wouldn't be in this team. And I love it. Since Koivu left the Canadiens, I was secretly hoping this. With Kotkaniemi and all other Finns, I truely hope you make an impact. Love the style of play. Hope to see good playoff matches!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hes a beast out there
Another 2 goals
One of our best forwards at takeaways

2 more empty net goals ;) Still he's our best player to close out games when the other team has pulled the goalie.

Whether on a shutdown 3rd line or the 4th line, I like him. Would like to see him be better at seizing his chances and openings on offense. But he's great defensively.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He’s starting to break out it seems.

I really can't say that after 2 empty net goals. The chances are there, but they've always been there. The finish, the quickly exploiting an opening on offense, just isn't there. Gret defensively. But offensively, althou he's much better than DLR, I see similarities. I hope he csn improve offensively. But it just may not be there.

I defunitely don't want him playing kk or Domi as he is now. I'm fine with him playing with Danault because I think they can score some bang bang goals. And i definitely don't want him playing with Poehling...

Maybe the best lines next year will be:

Tatar Domi Byron
Drouin Kk Gallagher
Suzuki Poehling Shaw
Lehkonen Danault Armia (shutdown line that plays against opposition's best line)
Agostino, Chaput, Dlo

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
I really can't say that after 2 empty net goals. The chances are there, but they've always been there. The finish, the quickly exploiting an opening on offense, just isn't there. Gret defensively. But offensively, althou he's much better than DLR, I see similarities. I hope he csn improve offensively. But it just may not be there.

I defunitely don't want him playing kk or Domi as he is now. I'm fine with him playing with Danault because I think they can score some bang bang goals. And i definitely don't want him playing with Poehling...

Maybe the best lines next year will be:

Tatar Domi Byron
Drouin Kk Gallagher
Suzuki Poehling Shaw
Lehkonen Danault Armia (shutdown line that plays against opposition's best line)
Agostino, Chaput, Dlo
Who is KK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad