Prospect Info: Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
You're mathing wrong.

Is that like grammaring wrong?

I may not be a math teacher but I also think these numbers are mathed up.

Drafted June 2011

Seasons after draft

2011-2012 season 1
2012-2013 season 2
2013-2014 season 3
2014-2015 season 4
2015-2016 season 5

Same as #55 and Lowry.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
What determines who gets called up to the big team is "what have you done lately?"
DeLeo is also a slightly bigger skilled centre,leads the team in goals, and plays with a bit of sandpaper. Pretty hard to say Petan is ahead of him when you see a Moose game.

Nah,

From their whole career body of work and from who showed who was better during training camp it was Petan all the way.

Petan is a very high skilled player that is close to elite. Already have 2 way game.
He was not use and not given really a chance to prosper where he is good at.

I know he was given some pp time here and there and moved up a few times in the depth chart. But with young guys , you will need more time.

IE: Scheiefele , first full year.

For me Petan only needs to have a mans body, as he is still tiny compare to other NHL player.

He is more skilled than half of the current players playing in the NHL.

I just re watched some of his last world junior performance. The kid is good. Confidence needs to be restored for this kid,

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Before suddenly making him a top 3 guy, how about we see if he can at least put up as many goals as Thor on the 3rd line first? He's clearly a talented guy but there isn't much there to proclaim so confidently he'll put up points on the PP.
I was comparing his time to Petan's on the PP.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Joel was drafted nearly six summers ago. He's got 9 points between the AHL & NHL this year. His future in the league remains murky until we see some production.

Joel Armia along with the rest of the 2011 draft class, were selected 4 years and 7 months ago.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'll make it easier for you then:

2011 1
2012 2
2013 3
2014 4
2015 5
2016 6

I'm honestly not sure if you are kidding or not???
You stated 6 years since his draft year so the year he got drafted is 1?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I was comparing his time to Petan's on the PP.

Oh, ok. You mentioned putting him on the left side with Scheif and Wheeler, not sure that would ever be a PP unit, can't see it honestly. I just don't see how you're so convinced that Armia would put up points given the same PP time as Petan ( which wasn't much). I've liked his last few games but he hasn't really done anything to indicate this would be so certain.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
While I normally agree, some players figure things out later than expected. He has top 6 talent, but he has never really been able to put it together in NA. It is possible that now that he seems to have found the level of intensity required to stay in the lineup that the rest of his game will develop. We will just have to wait and see. I think at worse he's a good two way 4th liner which still fills a need for us.

Exactly. Lets wait and see what he can do.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's NO way that Jet said that. C'mon. That strawman is so big it blocks the sun, Mort. :laugh: And BTW: the AHL is a tough league. In my opinion, it's the toughest league that is not the NHL.

You make it sound like a large number of posters have this opinion: why not address them directly if you have an issue with their statements?

No Jet didn't say that but he defended those who did as only wanting to dream big. Right, the AHL is tough but you don't expect players to score more or to play higher on the depth chart in the NHL than they did in the AHL.

I didn't count but there were a few within a short time. When it was just one I ignored it. I spoke up when it seemed to be gaining momentum.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Oh, ok. You mentioned putting him on the left side with Scheif and Wheeler, not sure that would ever be a PP unit, can't see it honestly. I just don't see how you're so convinced that Armia would put up points given the same PP time as Petan ( which wasn't much). I've liked his last few games but he hasn't really done anything to indicate this would be so certain.
I'd definitely like to see him or Ehlers on the left side of Scheif and Wheeler. They are projected to play on 2nd or so line so let's see what they do there.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Most of us have. I think there's a medical term to describe this kind of behaviour. But thanks for reminding :laugh:.
(Ps. I always wanted Olli to succeed, but by the time he came to us, it was already clear he wouldn't.)

Actually Jokinen is the prototype of the late-developing Finnish player. He scored at a 0.25 PPG pace until he was 24 years old, in his D plus 5 season, having been given far more opportunity than Armia at a younger age. He later became an all star, prolific point-getter and captain of his team.
It is far, far too early to be judging Armia as anything but an immensely gifted player with potential. The point production will come in due course...or not...but it is silly to place an artificial ceiling on it at this stage.
I had earlier predicted him to secure a place on the team this year and begin scoring next year. He is right on track.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=104927707&postcount=235

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
OK Jet. Go ahead and dream. Put him on the 1st line. Plan on 20 goal seasons. Seems a little over the top to me since he scored all of 5 goals, 16 points in his last 39 AHL games. But what the hey, the AHL is a very tough league.

You are ignoring the context. I like to consider the context when evaluating the player.

It's not a slam dunk that Joel Armia is anything but a flash in the pan, but when you consider his entire hockey career he is following a pretty established pattern for himself personally, and has faced challenges in adapting to the NA game that many players do.

I would never ask for you to stop taking a very measured careful approach to our prospects, that is the way you feel comfortable approaching it.

I on the other hand love to get carried away, dream, and try to see the positives in the story and hope that those things end up being precursors to a great young player. I just ask that you don't try and prevent that joy for me. It's what excites me about young players.

Sure, it sometimes steers me wrong in the end but it's like dreaming about winning the lottery -- it's still fun.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You are ignoring the context. I like to consider the context when evaluating the player.

It's not a slam dunk that Joel Armia is anything but a flash in the pan, but when you consider his entire hockey career he is following a pretty established pattern for himself personally, and has faced challenges in adapting to the NA game that many players do.

I would never ask for you to stop taking a very measured careful approach to our prospects, that is the way you feel comfortable approaching it.

I on the other hand love to get carried away, dream, and try to see the positives in the story and hope that those things end up being precursors to a great young player. I just ask that you don't try and prevent that joy for me. It's what excites me about young players.

Sure, it sometimes steers me wrong in the end but it's like dreaming about winning the lottery -- it's still fun.

Context is exactly what I am looking at. But I don't want to spoil your fun. I dream about players exceeding expectations, blooming late into stars too. I try to keep that to myself as much as possible. If you express a hope that Armia, for example lives up to his highlight reel and breaks out that is one thing. If you propose immediately moving him to the first line I hope you will forgive me if I object.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It would be really surprising if Armia didn't at least become a middling NHL player. He has a lot of skill

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Actually Jokinen is the prototype of the late-developing Finnish player. He scored at a 0.25 PPG pace until he was 24 years old, in his D plus 5 season, having been given far more opportunity than Armia at a younger age. He later became an all star, prolific point-getter and captain of his team.
It is far, far too early to be judging Armia as anything but an immensely gifted player with potential. The point production will come in due course...or not...but it is silly to place an artificial ceiling on it at this stage.
I had earlier predicted him to secure a place on the team this year and begin scoring next year. He is right on track.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=104927707&postcount=235
Not that Armia and Jokinen is remotely close to the finish flash,
But Teemu Selanne only made the Jets as a 22 years, he was almost a bust ...

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS

You know... The last part of this post is probably one of the more important statements one could make here.

I'm guilty of extreme skepticism, and what's the point? To possibly be right in the future? So what if some overvalue our prospects? If they end up being right that's great for the team, if not, so what? That hope is pretty important to have.

Thanks for the reminder.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You know... The last part of this post is probably one of the more important statements one could make here.

I'm guilty of extreme skepticism, and what's the point? To possibly be right in the future? So what if some overvalue our prospects? If they end up being right that's great for the team, if not, so what? That hope is pretty important to have.

Thanks for the reminder.

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

George Will

:naughty:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Goal.......... Armia with the snipe to get us within 1 goal with a minute left. His 2 nd goal of the season. He also looked pretty good on the 2 nd line with Ehlers tonight.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I wish we could find a way to get Armia to the right side,he may have the skill to adapt but you can real tell he is struggling to find positioning when entering the zone everything he has ever done successfully was coming from the right and is second nature to him he may be able to adapt to LW but it will take some time.I feel for the guy Maurice has pretty much done everything possible to make his transition to the NHL a difficult one.On that note I really like Armia and Ehlers together maybe they can mix it up with some movement in the neutral zone allowing each other to enter the zone on opposite wings some times.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Really liked Armia's game tonight, he used his speed, size and skill effectively all night. Showing the potential to make the trade land pretty heavily in the Jets favour already.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You would think it would be easier to play Ehlers as LW and Armia as RW.

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
Bumbed into nice little interview (published January 10th, 2016) of Armia by YLE (Finnish Broadcasting Company). And thought someone else here would also find it interesting. So I translated it. I tried to stay as loyal, as I can to the original text. I even translated the "plowing" quite literally, even though I'm pretty sure such a phrase doesn't exist in English language - with this meaning, that is. But I thought you Canadians can relate to trying plow your way through something, like snow, for instance :). Words inside parentheses are mine, used to better describe what is meant.
Anyway, here it goes:

Armia carries his small role with a pride: “A kind of job, that needs to be done in the hockey world”

It won’t be left short by the attitude, when it comes to Winnipeg Jets winger, Joel Armia. The Pori-born is willing to wait for his turn.

COLUMBUS. Time tends to slow down while you’re waiting. Winnipeg’s Joel Armia, 22 was waiting several weeks on December to get his shot to play with the Jets’ NHL-team. Armia lived and travelled with his team, but did not get a single game under his belt, until he was called back to AHL.

On December 18th Armia was finally released, on a game versus the New York Rangers. After that, he’s got 9 games more. On Saturday Armia was preparing at his home for the home game against the Buffalo on Sunday afternoon.

- It feels really good now. Couldn’t be better. It’s been so great to finally get to play and help the team.

“There’s a lot more than just the points”

On the games Armia has played on the 4th line, his role has so far been bacically just keeping the own end clean. In doing that, the native of Pori and his line has done well. Such a securing role has been a new experience for Armia.

Known for his goal making skills, the former Ässät-player made 55 goals on his 3 seasons in Finnish Elite League. Armia has been praised for getting better with his defensive game and doesn’t complain.

- In a hockey world, it’s a kind of a job, that needs to be done.
- It is just so damn great every time go get in the rink, and do the right things. This is my job right now. To take care of my own square and be better (as a line) than the opponents line on the given moment. There’s so much more in hockey than just producing points, thinks “Joppe”.

Trade demands by whiny young players is a rising trend in the NHL, so Armia’s attitude couldn’t be better. Even though his role is now small, the quality of work and humble attitude won’t be dismissed (by coaches). Armia will probably get his chances on the attacking side of the game also, after a while.

On his current role, there is no need to worry about the point production. And nobody’s (even) anticipating that with his 8 minutes per game time on ice.

- I believe that people will see in what way, and with which attitude you are working on the rink. At some time the bigger minutes will probably come, but you have to earn them. It’s sometimes hard to find the right rhythm with these minutes, but there’s no time to worry about that “(like) dammit, (why) I didn’t get this (line) change”.
- I’m sure the time I’ve been here has changed my thinking a bit. I understand now that to win a game, you need every single guy on the team. There cannot be a single free rider. I’ve known that always, but now that I play a bit different role myself, of course it has widened my perspective a bit.

“Not that kind off plowing”

The highlight of his NHL-assignment came early January against the San Jose, when he notched up career first NHL goal.

- Of course it was great, that I got it done. Although our line didn’t first know at all who made the goal - from whose skate it bounced in. But I didn’t care about that, either. I was just so happy that we got the goal, as a line. Such a great feeling.

The youngster from Pori is now enjoying humbly from every single day in the NHL. Although the ambition and the level of work is high, he also knows how to take pleasure of every day.

- This is just so great, I don’t know how to put it into words. I’ve wanted this so long – to get to play in the NHL. I try to do everything as well as I can, and give everything I got on the rink, so that I wouldn’t ever have to go back down (to AHL), Armia says.
- I can tell it also (has affected me in) in my everyday life, that I’m more happy and life ain’t the kind off plowing (= struggle), as it was in the farm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad