Prospect Info: Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
all of this would be relevant if the 8 players he had competition from were capable of playing hockey half-decent, but they aren't, at least not this year.

That's has more to do with his quality of competition for ice time then it does for his own play.

That being said, he LOOKS like a player. I don't see anything that appears to be "below top 9" level, except the quality of his linemates.

I get hesitancy but seriously, he's been better then everyone in the bottom six.

Thorburn, Peluso, Burmi, Lowry, Copp, Halischuk, Peluso, Lipon. This is his competition.

Armia would have to play so much worse then he has so far to lose his spot to one of those players.

The only person in that group who i would put close to him is Lowry. If regains his form from last year he could maybe deserve to be on that line instead of him, but he and burmi have both been shells of their former selves.

I'm still very much not sold on Copp. I think he'll "pass" as a 4th line center but I don't see him going anywhere else.

I get not pumping his tires. I'm not calling him a lock top be a top 6 player. I'm saying I see him as lock to be a 28-34 points player 3rd line winger.

when you compare A)his current play thus far and B) his pedigree/ceiling/potential he's easily the best player in our bottom six right now.

edit: i'm also willing to waive concerns about offense do to production this year. He isn't scoring nearly as much as i'd like, but he's had the misfortune of playing on a moose team that couldn't score (until the coach put him with decent line mates, then they started scoring, and then he was promptly recalled to the jets) and when it did, he got called up to a Jets team that has just as much trouble scoring.

It isn't his lack of scoring so far that concerns me. It is his lack of everything except looking promising. He just hasn't played enough games with competent linemates yet to call him a 'lock'. I guess a bunch of scoring would have helped to offset any concern but I can wait for that to come. Lets revisit this in 20-30 games.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What gives you the impression Armia will start taking his NHL cheque for granted? Do you know something about his work ethic? Just curious.

I don't know that he will. I don't know that he won't. I know he managed to be invisible a lot of the time in the AHL. Maybe just bad usage, bad linemates. I don't know. I'm quite ready and willing to be impressed. That takes more than 4 or 5 games of looking good. Just give it a little more time before we throw him a parade.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't know that he will. I don't know that he won't. I know he managed to be invisible a lot of the time in the AHL. Maybe just bad usage, bad linemates. I don't know. I'm quite ready and willing to be impressed. That takes more than 4 or 5 games of looking good. Just give it a little more time before we throw him a parade.

I agree he has to keep the current edge and if so he will be fine if they play him with talented players. Even last night I really liked his game despite the fact he was put on the black hole line again. He was slick on O and made things happen. Loved his controlled play along the boards where he held on kept his head up came all the way around the boards out the far side of the net and spotted Chiarot cheating from the point and set him up in the slot with that beauty pass. Mostly though I loved his intensity on the back check and his play with out the puck. There were a couple a times he absolutely busted it (Wheeler style) to get back and break up odd man opportunities.

I know Maurice has had a less impactful season but I think he is doing a good job communicating to Joel and Joel is responding well to the challenge and the opportunity. However I have to say if I was Maurice I would just put Armia in the locker beside Wheeler and say "Joel you have the talent to be a good NHL player and if you want to get there you need to copy what Blake does day in day, out shift in shift out". ;)

Took that other tall talented player a while to figure out how to be consistant but that's the road map as far as being a pro and effort shift to shift.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
It isn't his lack of scoring so far that concerns me. It is his lack of everything except looking promising. He just hasn't played enough games with competent linemates yet to call him a 'lock'. I guess a bunch of scoring would have helped to offset any concern but I can wait for that to come. Lets revisit this in 20-30 games.

You misunderstood my main issue.

There aren't two other adequate third liners for him to play with on this team so he's not going to get any of those opportunities until next year.

Ergo, good enough to be a lock on the third line for the rest of this year.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
You misunderstood my main issue.

There aren't two other adequate third liners for him to play with on this team so he's not going to get any of those opportunities until next year.

Ergo, good enough to be a lock on the third line for the rest of this year.

Yes, I agree. We are 1 or 2 players away from having 3 really talented lines and moving some players to the 4th line where they should be and some out of the lineup completely where they should be.

I'm starting really see great things from Armia. He needs to continue to bust his ass this year and see some more competent linemates next year.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Moulson had 69 one year and 53 another. He hasn't ever gotten 50+ since. I think we the right line mates, Armia could be a consistent 45-55 point getter.

Wishful thinking, just don't see it, he lacks that urgency and edge to his game that you need to play consistently in the NHL. In 20 games he has 2 goals and 1 assist and some of that with decent ice time, he may become an okay 3rd liner who knows.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Wishful thinking, just don't see it, he lacks that urgency and edge to his game that you need to play consistently in the NHL.
Could you please stop talking BS. You are talking about problems what we saw in TC. Those problems are far gone.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

If we revisit this in 20-30 games of playing with scrubs like Thorburn or even Burmi, I guarantee it won't be pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Wishful thinking, just don't see it, he lacks that urgency and edge to his game that you need to play consistently in the NHL. In 20 games he has 2 goals and 1 assist and some of that with decent ice time, he may become an okay 3rd liner who knows.

Too funny Sip. Guess we misjudged Schief & Ehlers, so its on to the next targets (Armia, Copp, Petan ...)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Well, he sure hasn't looked out of p lace no matter which line he is playing on.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Points would be nice.

Exactly. We've had Halisuck, Trangradi, James Wright, etc etc, and everyone always say how good they look. I don't want them to look good, I want them to score more than once a year and help the team win.

I remember one game where Armia looked pretty amazing with his hands, but haven't noticed him as much since. But I've also haven't been watching as much, so I can't really comment. But I'm just tired of these guys looking potentially good but never being able to put the puck in the net. He's young so I'll give him the benefit of the doub.t

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Exactly. We've had Halisuck, Trangradi, James Wright, etc etc, and everyone always say how good they look. I don't want them to look good, I want them to score more than once a year and help the team win.

I remember one game where Armia looked pretty amazing with his hands, but haven't noticed him as much since. But I've also haven't been watching as much, so I can't really comment. But I'm just tired of these guys looking potentially good but never being able to put the puck in the net. He's young so I'll give him the benefit of the doub.t

Yes I'll also give him a pass on points until he's settled in with comparable talent. He's shown me enough with his ability to handle the puck and he HAS taken the body since being in the Show. High hopes for this young man.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing Armia get regular minutes on a scoring-capable line again. He did great earlier for a couple of games where he moved up.

I remain cautiously optimistic about Joel. Hope he slots in for Stafford tonight.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Don't get me wrong, there clearly is talent there. Mostly commenting on how he replaces Ladd/ slots in top 6 while being on like a 12 pt/yr pace.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I'm pretty confident Armia will have at least 5 points at the end of the season, he is on a good pace with 2 goals and 1 assist in 21 games, two points to go with lots of games left!:sarcasm:

Armia's been given a chance with better players, it's not like he was buried on the 4th line like some other guys. There is just something lacking in Armia's game.

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing Armia get regular minutes on a scoring-capable line again. He did great earlier for a couple of games where he moved up.

I remain cautiously optimistic about Joel. Hope he slots in for Stafford tonight.

I think he develops into a nice complementary scorer on a skilled line if he is given the opportunity. His talent level is obviously very high and he makes really nice plays that should produce points with good linemates. If we have patience I think it will pay off with Armia.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm pretty confident Armia will have at least 5 points at the end of the season, he is on a good pace with 2 goals and 1 assist in 21 games, two points to go with lots of games left!:sarcasm:

Armia's been given a chance with better players, it's not like he was buried on the 4th line like some other guys. There is just something lacking in Armia's game.

I'm still hopeful. He shows enough skill that it should come but I want to actually see it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad