Joe Thornton Discussion Thread

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I suspect they mean in terms of pace (adjusted for the lower total games played).

Personally see him hitting a 40 point pace if the stars align
Which is exactly what we mean (and he knows that)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Which is exactly what we mean (and he knows that)

it really doesn’t matter 40 point pace is 100% not good enough for a team trying to win a cup. Wow some of you have set a low bar because of? nostalgia I guess. Thornton should see zero ice time with marner and matthews outside of occasional pp and very occasionally line juggling. He’s past it, he’s a 3rd liner at absolute best and great in the room. I can’t wait a season of joe f***ing Thornton trying to drag his carcass around trying to keep up with matthews and marner or even nylander (and tavares but he isn’t too fast himself)

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
it really doesn’t matter 40 point pace is 100% not good enough for a team trying to win a cup. Wow some of you have set a low bar because of? nostalgia I guess. Thornton should see zero ice time with marner and matthews outside of occasional pp and very occasionally line juggling. He’s past it, he’s a 3rd liner at absolute best and great in the room. I can’t wait a season of joe f***ing Thornton trying to drag his carcass around trying to keep up with matthews and marner or even nylander (and tavares but he isn’t too fast himself)
How many points are you expecting Hyman to get if he is there? Who ever plays the left side on that line is there as a support player and isnt expected to get ppg.

Reactions: The Iceman

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It's also all bout that CHEMISTRY :clap: Joe can talk, unlike some other fools. Simmonds too, that's why they here. Bogostick too. These are men with words and yelling. If Joe's talk makes matthews and marner better and presence, then that'll happen and now he is a LEFT WING :clap: We LOVE LIFE!!!! :heart: Congratulations Joe!

Reactions: LeafChief

The90

Feb 27, 2017
How many points are you expecting Hyman to get if he is there? Who ever plays the left side on that line is there as a support player and isnt expected to get ppg.
You know every player on every teams top 6 arent all stars. That’s not how it works.

He’s literally a depth player. And he’s literally here to give 30-40 points. That’s it.

you getting your panties in a knot because He’s not a ppg guy tells me you’re very unrealistic in your expectations of a salary capped team, are very pessimistic, don’t understand that there are only so many minutes to give out and can’t see that moving hyman down has the reverse effect of balancing out a competent third line. I’d wager you just wanted to complain

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
You know every player on every teams top 6 arent all stars. That’s not how it works.

He’s literally a depth player. And he’s literally here to give 30-40 points. That’s it.

you getting your panties in a knot because He’s not a ppg guy tells me you’re very unrealistic in your expectations of a salary capped team, are very pessimistic, don’t understand that there are only so many minutes to give out and can’t see that moving hyman down has the reverse effect of balancing out a competent third line. I’d wager you just wanted to complain
Lol I think you're miss-reading what I'm saying. I agree not all players in the top 6 are ppg players and whoever is on the left side on the top line is there to support, whether its hyman, Thornton or someone else.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Lol I think you're miss-reading what I'm saying. I agree not all players in the top 6 are ppg players and whoever is on the left side on the top line is there to support, whether its hyman, Thornton or someone else.
Lol, I meant to reply to the enlightened** poster. My bad brosef

Reactions: stewpac

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I love Jumbo Joe and all that he has done over his career, but I think having him as 1st line LW with Matthews and Marner is flat out foolish at this point. The guy has never been a fleet skater at the best of times, let alone now at 41. He'll set them up nicely when he has the puck in the zone. But other than that, I think he'll be a step or two behind them.

You want to throw him out there with them on the 1st PP, by all means, go ahead as he can park his butt at the blueline while the rest retrieve the puck. 5 on 5? I'm not sold.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

he had 37 in 51 last year. So roughly that. Which I think you can agree is better than 40 point pace

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It seems to me the Leafs are throwing the gauntlet down. Players will not be anointed ice time or line positions.

Announcing this today will motivate players and set the tone for a short, intense season in which players will be in and out of the lineup. This will be especially true for back to back games.

Internal competition is healthy as long as the goal is about winning. New faces and opportunity are important in high performing institutions. Sport or otherwise.

I don't expect Joe to remain on the top line, but maybe he does. He and others can decide their place if they perform and win. This year is only about winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
he had 37 in 51 last year. So roughly that. Which I think you can agree is better than 40 point pace

Hyman had an amazing year for his ability and he's definitely going to get time on the top line this year but 21 goals in 51 games will be hard to match. I care more about getting the most out of marner and matthews than how many points the other winger gets. If that winger is hyman and not Thornton we'll find out pretty quick. Training camp hasn't even started so let's see how things go before we freak out about hyman vs Thornton lol.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
ugh Jumbo , im fired up to see this guy play but 3rd line and maybe top 6 every now and then but putting him top line to start??? its like some video game fantasy non sense

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
ugh Jumbo , im fired up to see this guy play but 3rd line and maybe top 6 every now and then but putting him top line to start??? its like some video game fantasy non sense

I wouldn't look too deep into it. There will be plenty of mixing up, this is an early "shock" for players and fans alike to expect a different season with plenty of tinkering. What is more of a surprise than Joe playing wing on the 1st line?

Players all know now, "anything is possible". Perform and expect constant uncertainties in a very different season (in a most different year).

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
And you know Keefe will coach to the situation.

Before TV time outs or at the end of periods, pull up JT or Willy to replace Joe.
If defending a lead slide Hyman back up or Mikheyev.

Liquid roster.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I dont get it. You think 45 points is bad?

on the first line with matthews and marner? Yeah I’d say that’s pretty bad. Please read carefully though not 45 points 45 pace so actually 27-32 points (ish) people here hoping for that if he is on a line with matthews and marner that’s terrible

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
An interesting move by Keefe. We'll see how it goes. From Dave Poulin (I know, not a favorite here) in the Star, re: Thornton's ability to be a mentor like Bobby Clarke was to Poulin.
"So, who might the 41-year-old veteran impact most on this team?
I’ll start with perhaps a slightly surprising name: John Tavares. Could Thornton provide the perfect piece of leadership guidance the 30-year-old never had as a young captain with the New York Islanders?
Or it could be one of the three established young star forward, each presenting a different challenge. For Auston Matthews and his prodigious talent, it would be mentoring the narrow gap he has ahead of him in achieving superstardom every night. With Mitch Marner, it would include teaching a level of productive selfishness to eliminate his “always pass first” mentality. For William Nylander and his impressive skill set, a mentor would push for consistency at the highest level. None of these would be simple, but simple isn’t part of the definition of strong mentoring.
At the opposite end of the Tavares model would be 19-year-old Nick Robertson and an agenda that would include much more of a “teach me everything you know” approach.
Thornton signed a one-year deal for a shot at an elusive Stanley Cup ring, and he might only be around short-term. But the benefits of adding the type of mentorship he can provide the Leafs could be enormous, not just for today but well into the future."
Opinion | Joe Thornton can give the Maple Leafs what they need most — just like Bobby Clarke did for me

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad