Joe Thornton Discussion Thread

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Jumbo is on LW, think it is best to swap Willie and Marner.
Really like the Soup-Kerfoot-Hyman line as I think Soup and Kerfoot played their best with Moore being the other wing and Hyman is a much better crash and bang forward than Moore.
4th line is interesting with Engvall-Spezza-Simmonds.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
45points? In how many games? He had 31 in 70 last year. I sincerely hope this is just a training camp lineup. Thornton isn’t close to a top 6 forward anymore
Which is a hair over 36 over an 82 game season. Now put him with matthews and marner. You don’t think it’s plausible for him to get another 4 points?

I’m not saying I love it. But it certainly improves the third line. And could definitely see it working

Last edited:
Reactions: The Podium

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Really like the Soup-Kerfoot-Hyman line as I think Soup and Kerfoot played their best with Moore being the other wing and Hyman is a much better crash and bang forward than Moore.

Barabanov.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
45points? In how many games? He had 31 in 70 last year. I sincerely hope this is just a training camp lineup. Thornton isn’t close to a top 6 forward anymore

31 points in 70 games translates to 36 in 82 on a last place team.

On Toronto he could probably find an extra 4 points somewhere to get to the 40 mark.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
I feel like having Joe out there with mitch and matty will make both young guys feel a foot taller. Jumbo isn't going to let either player get targeted. I know ill be smiling the first time he goes after a guy for even trying.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Yep, a 36pt pace for Joe on a team that couldn't score last year.

Put him with Matthews and that should be an easy 10+pts added.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I wanted this so bad early in the offseason and got laughed at for even suggesting it. The Leafs needed a good defensive 3rd line that can chip in offensively for the longest time. I think this could be it.

And it's not just good defensively - that's plenty of skill for a 3rd line, tons of speedlight, with size and grit on the wings. That's a damn good 2 way 3rd line that will likely be closer to 2nd line quality.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like having Joe out there with mitch and matty will make both young guys feel a foot taller. Jumbo isn't going to let either player get targeted. I know ill be smiling the first time he goes after a guy for even trying.

Joe Thornton isn't that kind of player really. Also, Auston Matthews is already 6'3" and needs to evolve his big man game to take the next step. At this point he doesn't need to be looking at another guy to feel bigger and safer. He should be the trouble.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Joe Thornton isn't that kind of player really. Also, Auston Matthews is already 6'3" and needs to evolve his big man game to take the next step.
Jumbo is really that player lol. He's scrappy and has a temper, as long as he's on that line he'll see it as his job to protect them. Matthews knows how to use his size when it comes to puck protection and board battles but he'll never be as scrappy as Joe and thats fine, we don't need him too.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
There will be situations in certain games where Keefe will want to mix up the lines. Load up to try to tie a game late. After a PK to take advantage of a matchup. There will be injuries and guys will fall ill. It's smart to try out some other line combos in this short camp. He knows what Hyman, Mikheyev and Kerfoot give him in the top 6 already. I love that Keefe is getting a look at some lines that might come in handy throughout the season. I'm not reading too much into it for now but who knows, he might catch lightning in a bottle.

I'm glad Keefe is preparing for other eventualities and not rigid in his in-game preparation like Babs was.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Thornton isn't going to be a big bruiser sticking up for Matthews and Marner.

But he's definitely not going to let anyone take a shift off.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It’s Barabanov not Engvall. Engvall will play also but it’s the larger cap hit they would want to bury and he is waiver exempt for his benefit. Being exempt will get him games but he better be much improved physically is likely going to be the message he is getting.

Last edited:

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
I’m not a fan of Thornton on the first line. I want more speed and physicality next to Matthews since the right side will be fulfilled by Nylander or Marner. Thornton is an ageing and slowing hall of famer who should be playing against softer competition at this stage of his career.

I realize that Matthews and Marner are essentially a tandem that could probably carry HFboards posters, but I don’t like it.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I’m not a fan of Thornton on the first line. I want more speed and physicality next to Matthews since the right side will be fulfilled by Nylander or Marner. Thornton is an ageing and slowing hall of famer who should be playing against softer competition at this stage of his career.

I realize that Matthews and Marner are essentially a tandem that could probably carry HFboards posters, but I don’t like it.

Luckily Jumbo can't do it for 56 games X 20 mins a night. It will be a part-time / give opponents a different look once in a while kind of thing.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yep, a 36pt pace for Joe on a team that couldn't score last year.

Put him with Matthews and that should be an easy 10+pts added.

in 56 games? Which was the point of my post he couldn’t do It in 70 but will In 56?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Agreed. I don't like the idea of Thornton on the 1st line long-term, but for the first few games of the season it could set the right tone for the top guys. His foot speed and hands have fallen off quite a bit, he won't be able to keep pace with AM34/MM16 over the course of a season, but he'll demand accountability and will send a message to other teams.

Eventually, I expect Robertson to win-out a spot, at which point Thornton slides down to the bottom six and hopefully we see that tandem together. On paper, that's a match made in heaven and Jumbo would be a great mentor for NR.

I like the idea of Hyman on the 3rd line. Vastly improves that line's shutdown capabilities and forechecking. First time I can remember Hyman being tried outside of the top 6 since his rookie season, where he's been attached at the hip to Matthews/Tavares. I think both Hyman and Mikheyev on the 3rd line is overkill and leaves the top 6 LW depleted a bit, though.

One thing to note - Keefe looks to be doing a lot of experimenting without a pre-season and with a condensed schedule/shortened season. There shouldn't be much leash given to these guys if the experiment sputters.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
The schedule is pretty condensed, I'm sure there is going to be a lot of shuffling through the line up this year. Joe is going to get plenty of rest, we've got some depth this year which will help.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I suspect they mean in terms of pace (adjusted for the lower total games played).

Personally see him hitting a 40 point pace if the stars align

so 23 points on our 1st line who we are expecting ppg++ from the other 2? Hyman had 37 in 51 last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad