Joe Thornton Discussion Thread

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
when healthy I think Thornton will stay up with Matthews and Marner and they run something like:

Thornton - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Mikeyev - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Engvall - Spezza - Boyd/Galchenyuk

Reactions: DirkStraun

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
when healthy I think Thornton will stay up with Matthews and Marner and they run something like:

Thornton - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Mikeyev - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Engvall - Spezza - Boyd/Galchenyuk

I would somehow get Robertson into the lineup and if Galchenyuk is going to play it cannot be on the 4th line. He does nothing other than have a good shot so I would try him with better players.

Him on the 4th line would basically be a pylon defensively.

I also think Dubas makes a move to solidify more depth in the lineup.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The skating may not be what it once was but the vision/IQ, passing and puck protection are still at a high level. I was scared he was going to come back out of shape but he looks even better after having time off.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Did anyone else hear Thornton's comments about Matthews saying he should be up for the Selke, Hart, and Rocket Richard. Obviously Matthews needs votes to win the Hart and Selke, because we all know the Rocket Richard is won by the player who scores the most goals. So I guess he should have said how Matthews will always be in contention to win it.

Last edited:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Jumbo seems to generate a lot of excitement, especially for the younger players by just being on the ice. His down-low work was incredible last game, which adds a dimension we haven't had in a while.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm actually kind of blown away by how effective Jumbo is. He's not fast any more, but he's still got the brains and uses his size to his advantage. I thought he'd be an okay third line winger, but he's been a great top6 option. He plays the cycle game so well and thinks it at the level of Matthews and Marner, which leads to so much open space for all three of them down low. It's such a stark contrast to Marleau who still had his legs but had absolutely no clue where to go or put the puck on the cycle.

And the surprise of the century has to be that Thornton is a goal scoring threat. He was allergic to the net in SJ, he hasn't scored 20g in 10 years. He's out there with two goals in 7 games and getting two waived off last night.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Love this guy. He's been excellent in the games he played. Started a little slow, but has figured out how to play with Matthews and Marner while also creating opportunities on the PP.

Great signing.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I wasn't a fan at first but him on the 1st line actually works well. Glad to be proven wrong.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I wasn't a fan at first but him on the 1st line actually works well. Glad to be proven wrong.
ya it was a concept I think a lot of people were resistant on early on, but I think he is winning over the skeptics. He looks like classic jumbo. So wild. I have always been a supporter of Jumbo on the top line, but never in my wildest expectations did I expect this level of play. His vision is still very much there, and I am Sportsnet showed just how effective he is down low. Still very strong on the puck. He is slow in transition, but it really hasn't been that big of an issue because Matthews and Marner are so effective at gaining the zone themselves.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
As a fan, I would be completely okay if the JT's traded paycheques every other pay period. One guy punching above $6 million in value, the other kind of finding his way.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Big Joe has been better than I expected. he's got that grandpa strength in the corners and along the wall and he's still got the great hands.

what a signing by Dubas thus far.

Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad