Joe Thornton Discussion Thread

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Game 7 against Bruins in 2019. Babcock throws an injured and jittery Gardiner out for 4 shifts in 3 1/2 minutes (!) chasing his stupid ass matchups leading to 2 goals against and sinking us in the game early.

Sorry, had to.

View attachment 382867
How about having Zach Hyman taking a faceoff on the penalty kill while playing with a torn ACL with Toronto leading 1-0, losing the draw and Boston scores seconds later to tie the game 1-1.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
At Joe's age I see about 15 minutes of ice-time, so probably 4-6 minutes of time someone else needs to play on the line,

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Excited to see him play tonight, granted I'll be mainly watching the NFL playoffs. He may be old, but the guy is still a premier player.

I'm hoping he has a little left in the gas tank for us, a change in scenery mighta been much needed for a play maker of his caliber.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Excited to see him play tonight, granted I'll be mainly watching the NFL playoffs. He may be old, but the guy is still a premier player.

I'm hoping he has a little left in the gas tank for us, a change in scenery mighta been much needed for a play maker of his caliber.
Same here. Two eyes on football and a third eye on the game.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Looking forward to Joe with the Marty and Mitch. Joe is awesome along the boards
You done said it sire. Know bout ice hockey you doos. Big Joe Thornton is so heavy on my mind. He is such a weight class even doug weight ain't enough sire. Our Big Joe won't and CAN'T be pushed around. He too big for that there. For real sire. See to it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
ErVa-wvXYAArl32

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Yup he looked a bit behind unfortunately.
On the first line he will be up against the very best conditioned defensive players in the world. It’s not going to work.
Where does he fit I wonder.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020

If true and not joking, I don't really know how I feel about that. I like that he's vocal, and I hope that was his way of feeling like he wasn't in the game and wanted more playing time to gel more and he did do better as the game went on, but he was a step behind on some plays and that's not a rag on him.. he's 41 playing with fast skilled kids and wants to keep up, but if he can't find his rythme during a game and the coach feels like another line is rolling more I'm okay with Keefe's decision. Obviously I'm not picking but still, he didn't stand out to me tonight to warrant a finger wag to the coach IMO.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Taxi Müller: With Joe Thornton

• Nov 28, 2020

MySports

Joe Thornton is a living NHL legend. The 41-year-old is an Olympic and world champion and is currently in action in his second home in Davos for HC Davos. The Canadian was a guest at Taxi Müller between the training sessions in Davos. A conversation about a long, legendary career and his plans for the future.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Yup he looked a bit behind unfortunately.
On the first line he will be up against the very best conditioned defensive players in the world. It’s not going to work.
Where does he fit I wonder.
I think he's going to end up playing on the third line for most of the game. He'll have a good amount of PP opportunity with the young guns and can shift through the lineup as needed.

Starting him on the 1st line is a good idea though. It gets him used to the fast pace after almost a year off and helps him create some chemistry with Matthews and Marner, who he'll play with on the PP.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's interesting hearing Joe Thornton and Jason Spezza wax poetic about being a Maple Leaf and how special it is at their advanced ages. I keep thinking to future generations of athletes who consider coming home but put it off until it's almost too late. John Tavares had the right idea. Do it when you still have a ton of gas left in the tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad