Joe Thornton Discussion Thread

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's interesting hearing Joe Thornton and Jason Spezza wax poetic about being a Maple Leaf and how special it is at their advanced ages. I keep thinking to future generations of athletes who consider coming home but put it off until it's almost too late. John Tavares had the right idea. Do it when you still have a ton of gas left in the tank.
Hopefully after the 2025-26 Season when Connor McDavid's contract finishes and becomes a UFA he will do what Tavares did. ;)

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think he's going to end up playing on the third line for most of the game. He'll have a good amount of PP opportunity with the young guns and can shift through the lineup as needed.

Starting him on the 1st line is a good idea though. It gets him used to the fast pace after almost a year off and helps him create some chemistry with Matthews and Marner, who he'll play with on the PP.
If Thornton plays with Matthews and Marner at 5v5 won't that make it easier to have success with them on the power play?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If Thornton plays with Matthews and Marner at 5v5 won't that make it easier to have success with them on the power play?
Yes, that's pretty much what my post says.

Start him on the first line to get chemistry with them + get back to speed. Then re-evaluate and move him down the lineup if needed.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I think it's an absolutely awful idea. Why fix what ain't broken, the top line of Hyman-Matthews-Marner is easily one of the best lines in the league.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing...he’s developing chemistry with the kids and that frees Hyman to go play with Nylander and Tavares and create space for them...also moves mik to the 3rd line where his speed can feast on the lower lineup guys on other teams...definitely not a bad thing

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think it's an absolutely awful idea. Why fix what ain't broken, the top line of Hyman-Matthews-Marner is easily one of the best lines in the league.
Thornton was playing with Matthews and Marner to start the season.

So Hyamn can be a positive playing with Tavares and Nylander.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well I hope it works out. The Matthews line with Thornton on it wasn't playing poorly, but they weren't actually scoring much. Maybe with Matthews and Marner in a good groove that will simply continue regardless. But if they go back to looking dangerous, but not scoring then I hope Keefe doesn't keep him on that line for too long. I'd hope he isn't blinded by the legend of Joe Thornton.

It could work out and boost the Tavares line with Hyman heading that way. But I hope first and foremost that the top line keeps looking good. Thornton can still contribute and can move that puck. But I just hope the line doesn't take a step back at all.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Couldn’t agree more, the line is literally the most dominant thing I’ve seen in a Leafs uniform in a lllloooonnnnggg time.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Have the Leafs never thought to having Thornton on the 2nd line and being set-up man for BOTH Tavares and Willie? Matthews only needs Marner, Hyman is a killer puck hound, that 2nd line has been trash however.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Thornton - Tavares - Nylander

Think about it, the 1st line remains dominant and intact, 2nd line gets a better passer/playmaker and a guy who can cycle along with JT and leave free room for Willie.

Reactions: unitedstars87

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well I hope it works out. The Matthews line with Thornton on it wasn't playing poorly, but they weren't actually scoring much. Maybe with Matthews and Marner in a good groove that will simply continue regardless. But if they go back to looking dangerous, but not scoring then I hope Keefe doesn't keep him on that line for too long. I'd hope he isn't blinded by the legend of Joe Thornton.

It could work out and boost the Tavares line with Hyman heading that way. But I hope first and foremost that the top line keeps looking good. Thornton can still contribute and can move that puck. But I just hope the line doesn't take a step back at all.
When Toronto played Ottawa the second time this season it was the Matthews, Marner, Thornton line that was in all 3 goals they scored.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the key here to making Thornton work is just have Matthews and Marner play their game and let Thornton facilitate puck retrieval and join the play when he can, get open and exploit when the opportunity arises. Don't go out of your way to work him into some complicated tic tac toe play.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Forgetting about the final score for a moment and just focusing on Thornton, I guess we can say Keefe made the correct choice putting him back with Matthews and Marner.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I owe Jumbo Joe an apology. I love the guy, but thought it was foolish to have him flanking Matthews and Marner on the 1st line. Thought at this point he was best suited as a 3rd liner who would be best used on the PP.

Well, his first two games back from injury he has not looked out of place at all. Keeping up with the young bucks, his passing will forever continue to be elite, and he is moving quite well out there (better than I expected) as well as using his size to his advantage.

I’m still not convinced this will keep up for the course of the season, but for now, he is more than deserving of continuing to mentor the team’s superstars as their linemates.

:thumbu:

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
It is kinda funny to see Matthews and Marner flying around and seeing Thornton just standing behind the net because his old man legs cant keep up :laugh:

The fact that he can be so stationary behind the net and still be as effective as he is is a testament to how high his IQ is and how well he knows how to use his body to make the play, I like him

Reactions: zeke and authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad