Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I can cope because I got the vaccine from the Nords all those years ago. It gives me strenght to outlast a rebuild.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
A significant part to effective coaching is getting players to be in the right mental state to succeed on a regular basis. There are so many signs that suggest the team's horrid performance is at least in part due to their mental approach to the game. I don't really care about fare shake anymore I just can't see how Bednar can be given another year given the clearly damaged mental state of the team. How do you recover from this? Its one thing to have a few players quit on you or not play up to expectations but the entire team has quit and its totally apparent every time a new player is brought in. They stick out like a sore thumb for a few games, trying harder, applying more effort and whatnot. Socially and psychologically I simply don't think its possible to even speculate on progress w/ next year's squad if he is the coach, let alone if a core player or two is traded.

I agree I can't see how Bednar could erase the memory of this season. This team needs a fresh voice for next year. But who are the candidates?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not about what Sakic has done to create a youth movement, it's about what he hasn't done. And even though TV may be the only person more pissed about the Boedker trade than me, Joe hasn't dealt any core pieces for older players yet. As I've said before, I trust Sakic not to trade Landeskog or Duchene away for a Muzzin type; I don't trust whomever this organization would hire to replace Sakic to make the same decision if we don't let Sakic hand things off to MacFarland.

Last edited:

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
He was the one I wanted last year, but a Gallant would be good also, I'm sure a few more will pop up

The scary part is, even if we do somehow manage to dump Bednar, who's to say another coach would want to take on this team after watching this team effectively ruin Bednar's NHL career...

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The scary part is, even if we do somehow manage to dump Bednar, who's to say another coach would want to take on this team after watching this team effectively ruin Bednar's NHL career...

It would have to be an experienced coach with a good reputation.
One that could survive the hit, should it turn out to be a failure/disaster.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It's not about what Sakic has done to create a youth movement, it's about what he hasn't done. And even though TV may be the only person more pissed about the Boedker trade than me,

Oh, I'm not so sure about that. :)

Joe hasn't dealt any core pieces for older players yet. As I've said before, I trust Sakic not to trade Landeskog or Duchene away for a Muzzin type;

Just because Sakic has not made a Milbury trade, doesn't for a moment mean he's not a crappy GM.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
We really shouldn't be worse this year, we had no significant losses this past off season (Bodker and Matthias weren't really here) and we added a year of experience to our youth while adding Rantanen. Sure Iggy and Beauch lost a step, but really we should not have fallen off the way we did.

Time to go the Oilers route and start the team, the management and the coaching rebuild.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh, I'm not so sure about that. :)

Just because Sakic has not made a Milbury trade, doesn't for a moment mean he's not a crappy GM.

Of course it doesn't; but it does make me more confident in Sakic than I am in whomever this organization would pick to "clean up the mess". The shortsighted neglect of youth has already driven me away from this team once before, during Sakic's final seasons as a player, so I can't help but worry about that happening again.

I know this is not the kind of thinking needed to create a powerhouse, but we're not talking about the German National Soccer Team...who are amongst the favorites to win at every tournament...we're talking about the Kroenke owned Avs. And given those parameters, I can't help but feel like Sakic handing things off to MacFarland in the near future is the best we're gunna get.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Of course it doesn't; but it does make me more confident in Sakic than I am in whomever this organization would pick to "clean up the mess". The shortsighted neglect of youth has already driven me away from this team once before, during Sakic's final seasons as a player, so I can't help but worry about that happening again.

I know this is not the kind of thinking needed to create a powerhouse, but we're not talking about the German National Soccer Team...who are amongst the favorites to win at every tournament...we're talking about the Kroenke owned Avs. And given those parameters, I can't help but feel like Sakic handing things off to MacFarland in the near future is the best we're gunna get.

I don't believe this would even be viable option unless it's done 4-5 years from now when/if the team rebounds. I believe it's either Sakic staying on and sticking it out or Josh Kroenke will take matters into his own hands and clean house.

If that happens, Pierre Lacroix is a shoe-in to take over as GM of the Avs once again. Like I've mentioned before, that dater article that seemed to 'pearl harbor' Joe Sakic was carefully placed and certainly no accident. This organization doesn't seem to 'mingle' very much within the hockey community and the Kroenke's main focus are on other matters. Putting the team back in the hands of the guy who ran it for so many years would make sense (to Kroenke) instead of having strangers apply for the position, imo.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There are two types of bad GMs. The Mike Milburys who are overly impetuous and eternally impatient. Then there are the Doug Armstrongs who constantly dither and sit on their hands until disaster strikes, missing opportunity after opportunity. Sakic is the latter. The key is striking a balance between the two.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't believe this would even be viable option unless it's done 4-5 years from now when/if the team rebounds. I believe it's either Sakic staying on and sticking it out or Josh Kroenke will take matters into his own hands and clean house.

If that happens, Pierre Lacroix is a shoe-in to take over as GM of the Avs once again. Like I've mentioned before, that dater article that seemed to 'pearl harbor' Joe Sakic was carefully placed and certainly no accident. This organization doesn't seem to 'mingle' very much within the hockey community and the Kroenke's main focus are on other matters. Putting the team back in the hands of the guy who ran it for so many years would make sense (to Kroenke) instead of having strangers apply for the position, imo.

Please God.. If Lacroix comes back...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm thinking back to the VERY short tenures of Alan Bristow and Bill Hanzlik at the Nuggets helm. That was a new GM and new coach, and that team bottomed out in near-historical fashion. Bristow and Hanzlik were both very quickly fired once the final buzzer sounded.

Some differences between that situation and that of the current Avs, of course, but here's the big one: Bristow purposely stripped his team bare to start a full rebuild. This Avs team has no such excuse.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

If that happens, Pierre Lacroix is a shoe-in to take over as GM of the Avs once again. Like I've mentioned before, that dater article that seemed to 'pearl harbor' Joe Sakic was carefully placed and certainly no accident. This organization doesn't seem to 'mingle' very much within the community and the Kroenke's main focus are on other matters. Putting the team back in the hands of the guy who ran it for so many years would make sense (to Kroenke) instead of having strangers apply for the position, imo.

Can you give me link please ? :) Thnx

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I'm with you on that. I wouldn't be in support of PL coming back (though I really doubt he'd be worse than Sakic), but that is exactly what I think would happen.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I really don't hate PL. He suffered big time with the salary cap and gave up a lot of futures but he at least had the presence of mind to assess the teams holes and try and fill them.

Sakic appears to be constantly in a state of analysis paralysis.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Sooo was Sherman better than Sakic? Sakic has made some pretty bad moves (looking at you Stuart) and Sherman did get us EJ who I'd argue is much better than Shatts. Drafting has improved since Sakic has taken over I'll give him that as besides from the amazing 2009 draft Shermans drafting tenure was atrocious.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm very anxious to see how we do in this draft. I know it's a weak class but we still need to show that we can do well without Roy and the Q guys. If that happens, I'll have a lot more faith in this regime; despite Sakic taking so long to make big moves and his record with old UFAs.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm very anxious to see how we do in this draft. I know it's a weak class

I hear that a lot. When was the last time we had a draft that was considered weak leading up to it? 2011 maybe?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm very anxious to see how we do in this draft. I know it's a weak class but we still need to show that we can do well without Roy and the Q guys. If that happens, I'll have a lot more faith in this regime; despite Sakic taking so long to make big moves and his record with old UFAs.

If we don't get any more picks keep in mind it's going to be tough to look great with only 3 picks in the top 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad