Dreger: Joe Sakic “slept on” offer for Tyson Barrie

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
what you already have is an expiring asset you do not intend to resign along with two other cheap contract controlled offensive dman guys that can fill the void barrie will leave. you also have a problem that you just can't shelter all three this season. plus there is the potential that your draft bpa tonight will deliver #4.

so a couple of solid meat and potato contract controlled guys in place of barrie is an upgrade over what you already have in terms of a team with serious aspirations to be good for a while.

and need and get are two different things. i'm against the canucks picking up barrie at all. he's not a core piece for a contender, which is why you are moving him. he's a useful piece on a bad team who can provide scoring to make them appear better than they are and help them progress. he's also about to be overpaid like the top pair dman he is not due to stats. trouba is an example of a way more desirable and better acquisition for a hockey team with a plan to actually be good rather than fake it. i would gladly pay more for trouba.

honestly i'd rather this discussion ends and the thread dies. i'd sooner take a chance and bring subban into the dressing room than pay what sakic seems to think barrie is worth if that last leak is any indication. maybe you guys find someone, but i certainly hope it's not us.
That is where you are wrong. We can and may re-sign Barrie. Its all about if we can fetch an equally valuable top 6 (preferrably C) back for him or not. If not, we will re-sign him and focus on that 2C in the draft and FA.

We aren't desperate to get rid of him now, can easily trade him at the deadline as well, or gamble having a geat D core for this years run and re-sign or let him walk in the offseason.

And shift/caps lock keys exist for a reason. Please use them.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Then Vancouver should have gone for Trouba. The reason they didn’t get him was because everyone knows Trouba wouldn’t resign in Canada, making him a true rental and a different situation than this regardless of their perceived value.
I'm sure they tried somewhat but yeah, like you said, Trouba likely didn't want to play in Canada. That being said though, doesn't mean getting Barrie deserves a bigger haul than Trouba. If Trouba holds more value as a player in a vacuum, then that means his "situation" makes him at the very least the same value as Barrie. So Barrie should only return a similar package to what was had for Trouba.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Beyond the top 2, OEL got 1 vote and Karlsson got 1 vote. 20 people voted for McDonagh.

McDonagh was playing great at the beginning of the year and got a lot of recognition that carried on through the year though. And other than Barrie, there weren't any notable years for defensemen among those 9 teams other than those 4 with votes. Doughty had a bad year, the Ducks D sucked, Schmidt missed time, etc. There's definitely an Eastern slant, but with the amount of media these days I think it's rare for anyone to be overlooked

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Dater saying Tanev's name is now involved in the Barrie to Vancouver rumours.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I agree that Trouba is the better player, but not sure if one season at 50 points is quite the same as Barrie's consistent 50+ point seasons. Trouba did get more opportunities due to Buff being out, but he was also on a more offensively gifted team too.
I agree Barrie has been more consistent offensively over his career, I was just saying Trouba is starting to pick up his pace similar to Barries but yeah he needs to keep that consistency.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
what you already have is an expiring asset you do not intend to resign along with two other cheap contract controlled offensive dman guys that can fill the void barrie will leave. you also have a problem that you just can't shelter all three this season. plus there is the potential that your draft bpa tonight will deliver #4.

so a couple of solid meat and potato contract controlled guys in place of barrie is an upgrade over what you already have in terms of a team with serious aspirations to be good for a while.

and need and get are two different things. i'm against the canucks picking up barrie at all. he's not a core piece for a contender, which is why you are moving him. he's a useful piece on a bad team who can provide scoring to make them appear better than they are and help them progress. he's also about to be overpaid like the top pair dman he is not due to stats. trouba is an example of a way more desirable and better acquisition for a hockey team with a plan to actually be good rather than fake it. i would gladly pay more for trouba.

honestly i'd rather this discussion ends and the thread dies. i'd sooner take a chance and bring subban into the dressing room than pay what sakic seems to think barrie is worth if that last leak is any indication. maybe you guys find someone, but i certainly hope it's not us.

Keeping Barrie > Virtanens meat and potatoes. I'll rent the guy who matched Virtanens career offensive output in 78 games last season compared to Jake's 210 lol. Sakic will never do that deal and there is certainly other deals on the table I have no doubt. I agree kill the thread, Canucks aren't getting barrie if this is the final proposal.

Reactions: Newusername

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Yeah but Trouba holds way more value than Barrie with both having only a year or less left. Trouba is nearly 3 years younger, bigger and better defensively, and is starting to match Barries offense too. Whether or not he forced Winnipegs hand, he is still the better player. I don't think Barrie is going to get quite the return you're looking for.
Oh, ffs. Barrie is a top tier offensive defenseman

He 100% has the value of a high quality 2nd line forward, if not more depending on the player

Avs have no reason to move on any offer that doesn’t provide one.

Might it require another team to gamble on him re-signing and give proper, non-rental value? Sure. But... so?

I literally do not care if you want to talk yourself in circles into believing his value is blah blah blah

It’s all pointless drivel to me. Either they get what they need, or they keep Barrie and continue to compete for the cup with the best player in any deal this may involve

This isn’t the Jets where they had no choice but to move him

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Keeping Barrie > Virtanens meat and potatoes. I'll rent the guy who matched Virtanens career offensive output in 78 games last season compared to Jake's 210 lol. Sakic will never do that deal and there is certainly other deals on the table I have no doubt. I agree kill the thread, Canucks aren't getting barrie if this is the final proposal.

why is 4th liner jake virtanens name being brought up in a trade for Tyson Barrie.

Reactions: Avaholic29

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm sure they tried somewhat but yeah, like you said, Trouba likely didn't want to play in Canada. That being said though, doesn't mean getting Barrie deserves a bigger haul than Trouba. If Trouba holds more value as a player in a vacuum, then that means his "situation" makes him at the very least the same value as Barrie. So Barrie should only return a similar package to what was had for Trouba.

You can’t quantify that, it’s pretty much a guess.

It’s all good though, the Avs can resign Barrie for 8 mill and still have more than enough cap space. Sakic is not desperate like Benning tonight, he can walk away with a stud at 4 that can help next year, without talking to another GM.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
That is where you are wrong. We can and may re-sign Barrie. Its all about if we can fetch an equally valuable top 6 (preferrably C) back for him or not. If not, we will re-sign him and focus on that 2C in the draft and FA.

And shift/caps lock keys exist for a reason. Please use them.

you could, but i don't think he's in your plans. he would not be in mine if i were in your shoes. i would be doing what sakic is doing, which is moving him out today if at all possible on the theory his value drops if you guys get byram.

i should clarify that i am fine if the canucks get him for older roster players and can even live with moving a hutton or virtanen or a second round pick. he will help us in the short term. i am opposed to moving a high draft pick or any key prospect or key future asset on the roster. he's an interim fix not a longterm key asset for our team.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
why is 4th liner jake virtanens name being brought up in a trade for Tyson Barrie.

Beats me... I think Canucks media grasping. If sakic had to sleep on a deal to ponder it, I guarantee it wasn't Virtanen being the main peice lol

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Oh, ffs. Barrie is a top tier offensive defenseman

He 100% has the value of a high quality 2nd line forward, if not more depending on the player

Avs have no reason to move on any offer that doesn’t provide one.

Might it require another team to gamble on him re-signing and give proper, non-rental value? Sure. But... so?

I literally do not care if you want to talk yourself in circles into believing his value is blah blah blah

It’s all pointless drivel to me. Either they get what they need, or they keep Barrie and continue to compete for the cup with the best player in any deal this may involve

This isn’t the Jets where they had no choice but to move him
Alright there, no reason to get so worked up over something that isn't in our control and will likely not happen anyways.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
you could, but i don't think he's in your plans. he would not be in mine if i were in your shoes. i would be doing what sakic is doing, which is moving him out today if at all possible on the theory his value drops if you guys get byram.

i should clarify that i am fine if the canucks get him for older roster players and can even live with moving a hutton or virtanen or a second round pick. he will help us in the short term. i am opposed to moving a high draft pick or any key prospect or key future asset on the roster. he's an interim fix not a longterm key asset for our team.

I’m fine with keeping Barrie and also drafting byram tonight. Vancouver is not the only team interested, just the most desperate.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Why kill a legit Dreger reported thread just because you don't agree with it? The trade is likely not going happen anways so I think people just need to relax.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
i'm fine with that too. good luck in your hunt for a team even more desperate than vancouver to pay your price.

Sakic’s not hunting tonight, he doesn’t need to trade away Barrie and he has no cap issues. It’s almost like you can’t have too many good players. Bennings been calling around for dman all week, good luck on getting one for Hutton and a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad