Dreger: Joe Sakic “slept on” offer for Tyson Barrie

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Like another poster just said, Trouba didn't even fetch that much. Barrie simply isn't as valuable as Avs fans seem to think due to his age and the fact that he's a rental.

Trouba wasn't going to stay in Winnipeg. Barrie loves Denver and has spent his entire career there. He would gladly stick around and not tie management's hands. We have no reason to trade him for scraps. Wed get a similar return to this at the deadline easily.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Sutter for Bonino, Clendening, 2nd was horrible.

The only thing horrible in that trade is Clendening.

Also it was a late 2nd going out with an early 3rd coming back.

(and Canucks still got their man: Lockwood)

In the end it amounts to Bones for Sutter + 9-spot-pick-upgrade in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

Fair deal.

He also traded Hansen, Burrows, Leipsic, Vanek, and Sinkaruk and from all those players combined the only draft pick he got back was a conditional 4th. Yes. You read that right. And yes, we were a rebuilding team with a GM who always says he wants more picks during all those trades. It's a head scratcher.

Canucks waived Leipsic, who is a waivers kinda guy.

The returns on those other players were Goldobin, Dahlen, Motte, and Granlund.

Canucks won all of those trades.

Please change your handle from Love to Hate immediately. ;)

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Like another poster just said, Trouba didn't even fetch that much. Barrie simply isn't as valuable as Avs fans seem to think due to his age and the fact that he's a rental.
Don’t care

Avs aren’t desperate like the Jets

Trouba’s return means literally nothing

Reactions: Avaholic29

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
except for the top 6 part, that makes sense. i think he'd have to consider young middle six pieces.

The Avs have a bunch of young middle six pieces already in Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, Bowers, Greer, Kaut, O'Connor, etc. If Barrie is going the other way, we need a clear upgrade over what we already have.

Reactions: S3rkie

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
The link I posted wasn’t going to the tweet, so I copied and posted it. Just google Virtanen Barrie and see all the **** that pops up.

BTW WTF are the Canucks interested in Barrie, they have Hughes and Stecher, with Barrie we would have a blue line of midgets.
You didn’t even link the right twitter account after having a link with the right twitter handle before, lol

Wow

And so you just got Dater, then. Got it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Do you need to actually watch games to see that McDavid, Gaudreau or MacKinnon are valuable to their teams? All that requires is a glance at the stat sheet.

And there are only 4 players from outside the Eastern/Central time zones that got a vote for the Norris. 18 in times zones that Eastern Conference writers watch, 4 from the two time zones they don't watch.

Only 9 of 31 teams are outside of the Eastern/Central time zone (29%), so 4 of 18 (22%) isn't that surprising, especially when that includes the 1st and 2nd place finishers

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
I mean that's the reported offer from the actual Canucks, not Canucks "homers".
I was saying the offer was garbage, and the offer wasn’t reported by the canucks, just baseless media speculation.
If you can’t see the homers in this thread, then you may be one :sarcasm:

Reactions: Avaholic29

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I was saying the offer was garbage, and the offer wasn’t reported by the canucks, just baseless media speculation.
If you can’t see the homers in this thread, then you may be one :sarcasm:
Lmao I didn't say there weren't homers or that the trade proposal wasn't garbage, Im just saying that it isn't Canucks fans who made the proposal.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Only 9 of 31 teams are outside of the Eastern/Central time zone (29%), so 4 of 18 (22%) isn't that surprising, especially when that includes the 1st and 2nd place finishers

Beyond the top 2, OEL got 1 vote and Karlsson got 1 vote. 20 people voted for McDonagh.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
It does though, it totally sets the market for similar Dmen. You hear it all the time from true hockey insiders and GMs.
Nope

It does not. Trouba’s situation sets a market for nothing because of how unique his situation is. Trouba’s was like combining a NTC and rental player discounts

Fact is that you either provide an offer that actually gives the Avs what they want (top 6 forward... Horvat basically) or the trade just never happens

Avs have no reason to do anything otherwise.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
35 year old Giordano and 33 year old Burns have been in the league long enough that the Eastern Conference writers can't pretend they don't exist. The rest of the defensemen in the Pacific and Mountain time zones combined for 2 votes, and one of those went to Karlsson.

I understand. The players that play in the Pacific and Mountain time zones are the greatest in all the NHL. But only those that reach a level of seniority draw the attention of the biased, eastern conference writers that voters that, notwithstanding there east coast (and central time zone) bias, don't actually watch them because it requires them to stay up past their bedtime.

No, it couldn't be that they were the best D in the league and the other players that received votes were deserving of them. It has to be the bias.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Lmao I didn't say there weren't homers or that the trade proposal wasn't garbage, Im just saying that it isn't Canucks fans who made the proposal.
Lol ya right.... I don’t know any avs fan that would suggest Virtanen for Barrie, literally not one, so I feel confident saying it was Canucks fans (homers) that gave these rumours legs. Their may be avs fans that want to trade Barrie but none that think Virtanen is acceptable as anything more then a throw in.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Nope

It does not. Trouba’s situation sets a market for nothing because of how unique his situation is. Trouba’s was like combining a NTC and rental player discounts

Fact is that you either provide an offer that actually gives the Avs what they want (top 6 forward... Horvat basically) or the trade just never happens

Avs have no reason to do anything otherwise.
Yeah but Trouba holds way more value than Barrie with both having only a year or less left. Trouba is nearly 3 years younger, bigger and better defensively, and is starting to match Barries offense too. Whether or not he forced Winnipegs hand, he is still the better player. I don't think Barrie is going to get quite the return you're looking for.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Lol ya right.... I don’t know any avs fan that would suggest Virtanen for Barrie, literally not one, so I feel confident saying it was Canucks fans (homers) that gave these rumours legs. Their may be avs fans that want to trade Barrie but none that think Virtanen is acceptable as anything more then a throw in.
Well that's your own conspiracy theory man, maybe you should wear a tinfoil hat during the draft.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah but Trouba holds way more value than Barrie with both having only a year or less left. Trouba is nearly 3 years younger, bigger and better defensively, and is starting to match Barries offense too. Whether or not he forced Winnipegs hand, he is still the better player. I don't think Barrie is going to get quite the return you're looking for.

Then Vancouver should have gone for Trouba. The reason they didn’t get him was because everyone knows Trouba wouldn’t resign in Canada, making him a true rental and a different situation than this regardless of their perceived value.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

I agree that Trouba is the better player, but not sure if one season at 50 points is quite the same as Barrie's consistent 50+ point seasons. Trouba did get more opportunities due to Buff being out, but he was also on a more offensively gifted team too.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The Avs have a bunch of young middle six pieces already in Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, Bowers, Greer, Kaut, O'Connor, etc. If Barrie is going the other way, we need a clear upgrade over what we already have.

what you already have is an expiring asset you do not intend to resign along with two other cheap contract controlled offensive dman guys that can fill the void barrie will leave. you also have a problem that you just can't shelter all three this season. plus there is the potential that your draft bpa tonight will deliver #4.

so a couple of solid meat and potato contract controlled guys in place of barrie is an upgrade over what you already have in terms of a team with serious aspirations to be good for a while.

and need and get are two different things. i'm against the canucks picking up barrie at all. he's not a core piece for a contender, which is why you are moving him. he's a useful piece on a bad team who can provide scoring to make them appear better than they are and help them progress. he's also about to be overpaid like the top pair dman he is not due to stats. trouba is an example of a way more desirable and better acquisition for a hockey team with a plan to actually be good rather than fake it. i would gladly pay more for trouba.

honestly i'd rather this discussion ends and the thread dies. i'd sooner take a chance and bring subban into the dressing room than pay what sakic seems to think barrie is worth if that last leak is any indication. maybe you guys find someone, but i certainly hope it's not us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad