NBC Sports Boston Joe Haggerty needs a p̶r̶o̶o̶f̶r̶e̶a̶d̶e̶r̶ job

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
You don't have to express compassion or empathy for anyone or anything you don't want to. But going out of your way to express joy instead was a little over the top, IMO.

Again, like him or hate him, he's still a human being, with a family, and with the pressures of doing a grind of a job, and now he has the added task of trying to find a new one, and that blows. I feel for him and the rest of the reporters that got the axe today, because finding a job in this market, with so many others out of work is a scary proposition.

But you do you however you want, man. Not even a worry.

The current times certainly expose a lot of human frailty.

Reactions: LSCII

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
KPD was really the first Boston writer I read back in the days when reading the Boston Globe online was my main source of Bruins news.

I never like his style of writing. Like you said those lame nicknames, and what I always found the tone of his articles arrogant and condescending.

It's too bad, it's obvious, and it's lazy. Both KPD and CHB are cut from the same cloth.

Whether you agreed or disagreed with Bob Ryan, did you ever doubt his passion? Did he mail it in, routinely?

I wish the former two would just go away. Awful.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
So aren’t all of the peers he’s cut down publicly and unprovoked over the years.

My problem with Joe has never been the tabloid level junk food content he puts out but how he carries himself as a “professional.”

Have a feeling Joe’s about to learn what they’re talking about when they say “be nice to people on the way up because you’ll have to see them on the way down”...at least he’ll have a spot at BOSHOCKEYNOW with thin skins.

I feel terrible for the rest of the NBC crew though, especially Gary Tanguay who’s been a staple of the Boston sports media.

Tanguay too? He was there a while.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
This is terrible as Haggs has a family. That being said these beat reporters have become useless in every sport. Social Media has killed this job. All you need is TSN and Sportsnet as they break everything anyway. One person to follow every team is all that is required to supply line combos and injury report on a daily basis.

Hope Haggs has more Star Wars uniforms to auction because it will be tough sledding finding work in media.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So aren’t all of the peers he’s cut down publicly and unprovoked over the years.

My problem with Joe has never been the tabloid level junk food content he puts out but how he carries himself as a “professional.”

Have a feeling Joe’s about to learn what they’re talking about when they say “be nice to people on the way up because you’ll have to see them on the way down”...at least he’ll have a spot at BOSHOCKEYNOW with thin skins.

I feel terrible for the rest of the NBC crew though, especially Gary Tanguay who’s been a staple of the Boston sports media.

Was going to respond to this but @AngryMilkcrates said it above perfectly. This is the state of journalism today and Haggs is a byproduct of that environment. Hit pieces and controversies generate more clicks, which means he gets paid. Yeah he's a hack, but that's unfortunately what people consume now.

Did love the Jimmy Thinskins reference though. That was fire, Brain...:laugh:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I hope Haggerty finds another job soon, far far away from here, so I don't accidentally click on one of his pieces ever again. I'm sure Montreal would love him. :naughty:

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

member 96824

Was going to respond to this but @AngryMilkcrates said it above perfectly. This is the state of journalism today and Haggs is a byproduct of that environment. Hit pieces and controversies generate more clicks, which means he gets paid. Yeah he's a hack, but that's unfortunately what people consume now.

Did love the Jimmy Thinskins reference though. That was fire, Brain...:laugh:

Sure of course with his writing, but I’m talking more about the person away from the content and the way he’s carried himself toward others. I’m not talking about dragging Tim Thomas through the mud to generate a click, I’m talking about taking unprovoked shots to discredit peers like Amalie Benjamin, Matt Kalman, DJ Bean, Pete Blackburn, etc. plus his demeanor toward his own readers. I’m talking about him stealing content from others(including here!) and passing it off as his own. I’m talking about him lying about being at games and practices that he’s not at.

Character things, not content.

Unless it’s all been an act, but it doesn’t really seem to be the case. It wasn’t always that way, hell he used to be good when he was posting here, but it definitely evolved over time and became a different person. I think he’s just a bad person..so while I’m not popping champagne about him losing his job, I’m not mourning it either.

I think @AngryMilkcrates was wrong though in assuming what he or she is talking about isn’t already in place. The revenue has taken a massive hit from both sides. Readership is down, ad dollars as a whole are also down significantly...but even in the best of times, advertising is significantly less effective per reader on a site like NBC Sports Boston than it is elsewhere. Cost per click on Facebook, for example, is significantly more effective(minimum 4-5X) than cost per click on a traditional site through google’s ad network which is what NBC Sports Boston uses.

NBC Sports Boston isn’t cutting people for fun. They’re cutting people because AngryMilkcrates call to arms is very much in effect.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Again, on a human level I don't understand why some people are acting like this. Sad statement on humanity these days, I guess...:shakehead:

It's trash. The internet seems to revel in other people's misfortunes for whatever reason. Guy has a family to take care of and taking any type of joy in someone losing their job is pretty low, especially in times like these.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Sure of course with his writing, but I’m talking more about the person away from the content and the way he’s carried himself toward others. I’m not talking about dragging Tim Thomas through the mud to generate a click, I’m talking about taking unprovoked shots to discredit peers like Amalie Benjamin, Matt Kalman, DJ Bean, Pete Blackburn, etc. plus his demeanor toward his own readers. I’m talking about him stealing content from others(including here!) and passing it off as his own. I’m talking about him lying about being at games and practices that he’s not at.

Character things, not content.

Unless it’s all been an act, but it doesn’t really seem to be the case. It wasn’t always that way, hell he used to be good when he was posting here, but it definitely evolved over time and became a different person. I think he’s just a bad person..so while I’m not popping champagne about him losing his job, I’m not mourning it either..

You hate to see anyone lose their job and livelihood but even moreso now given the state of everything so I wish Haggs well on the personal front.

Professionally however, he needs to have a come to Jesus moment and realize that his attitude and actions towards his peers over the years is unacceptable and needs to change.

I'd rather read someone who tells a story with factual honesty and integrity instead of antagonistic click bait.

BrainofJ sums things up perfectly.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
These layoffs suck. Somehow Tomase gets to stay? Insane I'm not a big fan of Joe, but I enjoy BST. Firing of him, Tanguay, Abby Chin, A Sherrod Blakely, and Danielle Trotta. Big mistake. Huge. They all contribute well. More than Haggs.

Especially on BST where Danielle is the only female voice for us women. Now its going to be a sausage fest. I hope they stick around in Boston.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Am I to blame in any way for his firing by starting this thread ???? I never realized how much power I actually wield - keep that in mind the next time anybody here is foolish enough to disagree with me. :nod:

I'm picturing some NBCSN execs were sitting around debating on whether they should keep Haggs or Trenni for the final cut, then one of them logged on hfboards and saw this thread.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
God, that's galling. I make my living as an editor, and shit like that is inexcusable.

I consider myself a writer and editor as well. These are unfortunate but hardly egregious errors.

Not a Haggerty hater, but his writing, syntax, puncutation, etc. leave much to be desired. I wish him well.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This is terrible as Haggs has a family. That being said these beat reporters have become useless in every sport. Social Media has killed this job. All you need is TSN and Sportsnet as they break everything anyway. One person to follow every team is all that is required to supply line combos and injury report on a daily basis.

Hope Haggs has more Star Wars uniforms to auction because it will be tough sledding finding work in media.

I disagree, respectfuly.

Haggs perfomed a local service. He's not the best writer, but not the worst. There are others, CHB and DuPont, who likely make more money, and who are less sincere.

Waiting for them to die out. And they will.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
It’s going the work from home way. Pretty soon, Jack will be calling games at home. Unfortunate that it’s going this way. Someone will fill the gap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad