NBC Sports Boston Joe Haggerty needs a p̶r̶o̶o̶f̶r̶e̶a̶d̶e̶r̶ job

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
We live in a time where controversy creators are more valued than content with integrity(Facts presented to let the reader make a decision therefore respecting their intelligence.)

As long as this continues media people who create smoke and start fires will always get more hits for advertising revenue.

The industry will not change until their revenue takes a hit, that means purposefully ignoring these writers in ALL online forums/social media.
Ghost 'em

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
tenor.gif

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Imagine voluntarily keeping John Tomase
Add Trenni to that list too, she's horrendous.

Really sucks for these people, especially given the current times.

Abby Chin is one of the best sideline people in sports, really sucks she was let go. Gary Tanguay gets a lot of flak from fans, but he's a genuinely good guy who has helped a TON of people in the industry get started.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
How this guy still has a gig after that and good writers like Matt Kalman and Joey Mac don't is beyond me.

Timing is everything in life, never mind! And I wasn't rooting for him to be laid off, just comparing to those who had before him. I know he has a family too. Brutal day at NBCSBoston

Reactions: SPB2776

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Right. NHL.com needs a proofreader:

"The team's that are able to manufacture that energy." Cassidy added. "Especially when your down a goal, when you need that big hit, and a little bit of that going on, that's where coaches and assistant coaches are going to have to encourage the guys and a little bit more than they would when there is a packed house."

God, that's galling. I make my living as an editor, and shit like that is inexcusable.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He once interviewed Chara and used that material to write a negative piece about Chara, many years ago. I don't feel bad. I do hope his personal life is in a good place but we will no longer have to read his drivel - he should have been let go long ago under better circumstances.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Good to see that hot take warehouse get cut down.

On a personal level I hope everything works out for them, but they are a significant portion of the crap media in this town.

Reactions: LSCII

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
While I don't read the guy for anything hockey related, I can still feel bad for him on a personal level. What happened today to him and all the other people sucks. Hopefully they'll all land on their feet and be fine shortly...

Yes, this is right. He is a terrible Bruins reporter and his social media persona is abhorrent, but he is still a human being and maybe even, if you were to know him as a guy and not as "Haggs the Bruin Insider," he'd be someone you really liked. And let's be honest, many of us, myself included, enjoyed his craptastic articles as objects of mockery and ridicule. I hope he lands on his feet in life, whatever happens to his hockey career.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
God, that's galling. I make my living as an editor, and shit like that is inexcusable.

My university's public affairs office (or whatever the hell they call themselves now) routinely puts out stuff with these sorts of errors in them. It's a University for pity's sake!!! I stopped emailing them when it became clear that they weren't taking it seriously. I guess in their defense the majority of recipients don't recognize the errors :(

Reactions: Gordoff and Estlin

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yes, this is right. He is a terrible Bruins reporter and his social media persona is abhorrent, but he is still a human being and maybe even, if you were to know him as a guy and not as "Haggs the Bruin Insider," he'd be someone you really liked. And let's be honest, many of us, myself included, enjoyed his craptastic articles as objects of mockery and ridicule. I hope he lands on his feet in life, whatever happens to his hockey career.

Well said.

Reactions: Dr Hook

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Haggerty is a garbage tabloid writer in an industry whose entire purpose is to spin narratives with no regards to the effect they have on the personal lives of those involved (i.e. when he ran Tim Thomas out of town or some of his hit jobs on Chara and others) or others' professional careers (i.e. when he was stealing beats from Amelie Benjamin and publishing them as his own because they wouldn't fly him to Calgary). Sorry for not expressing empathy toward the big porkchop. Unemployment benefits are just a few clicks away, he'll be fine.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Haggerty is a garbage tabloid writer in an industry whose entire purpose is to spin narratives with no regards to the effect they have on the personal lives of those involved (i.e. when he ran Tim Thomas out of town or some of his hit jobs on Chara and others) or others' professional careers (i.e. when he was stealing beats from Amelie Benjamin and publishing them as his own because they wouldn't fly him to Calgary). Sorry for not expressing empathy toward the big porkchop. Unemployment benefits are just a few clicks away, he'll be fine.

You don't have to express compassion or empathy for anyone or anything you don't want to. But going out of your way to express joy instead was a little over the top, IMO.

Again, like him or hate him, he's still a human being, with a family, and with the pressures of doing a grind of a job, and now he has the added task of trying to find a new one, and that blows. I feel for him and the rest of the reporters that got the axe today, because finding a job in this market, with so many others out of work is a scary proposition.

But you do you however you want, man. Not even a worry.

member 96824

he's still a human being, with a family, and with the pressures of doing a grind of a job,

So aren’t all of the peers he’s cut down publicly and unprovoked over the years.

My problem with Joe has never been the tabloid level junk food content he puts out but how he carries himself as a “professional.”

Have a feeling Joe’s about to learn what they’re talking about when they say “be nice to people on the way up because you’ll have to see them on the way down”...at least he’ll have a spot at BOSHOCKEYNOW with thin skins.

I feel terrible for the rest of the NBC crew though, especially Gary Tanguay who’s been a staple of the Boston sports media.

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA
He was a garbage reporter and pandemic or not, this was long overdue.

Hope he lands on his feet, and hope it’s far away from anything Bruins related.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
There goes Joe Haggerty, the best sportswriter there ever was.

I hope everything turns out well for his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad