WGR: Joe DiBiase - Sabres Still Paying for the Sins of Tim Murray

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres still paying for the sins of Tim Murray

Joe DiBiase

Before I worked at WGR, I was a frequent listener. I remember Bulldog talking about the waves of prospects that were going to someday soon hit our shores. They were going to make the Sabres a great team for years and years. After a successful tank that landed Jack Eichel, former Sabre General Manager Tim Murray took most of those young prospects and draft assets and tried to hit fast forward. Tried to hit the gas pedal. The Sabres are still paying for it.

Ryan O'Reilly, Evander Kane, Robin Lehner, Kyle Okposo, Dmitry Kulikov, the list goes on. Murray and the Sabres even gave up a 3rd round pick to be able to hire Dan Bylsma. Another 3rd went to getting the negotiation rights to Jimmy Vesey. It really was incredible the amount of draft capital Murray burned through.

Despite the fact he was tanking for half of his tenure, Tim Murray traded away two 1sts, four 2nds, four 3rds, and a 5th round pick in three years. Not to mention five young players who were 1st round picks, and three who were 2nds.

It's cruel sometimes to play the what if game and you'll often hear coaches/executives say that you can't do it. Actually you can, and it's one of the only ways to judge how a general manager is doing in his job. What if Tim Murray didn't try to rush his team to contention? Where did those waves of prospects go? The Sabres are still searching to replace the roster depth that Murray sent away.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I complain about Murray trading away picks all the time but...let's be honest, he was awful at the draft table.

His best move was acquiring ROR.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I complain about Murray trading away picks all the time but...let's be honest, he was awful at the draft table.

His best move was acquiring ROR.
I nitpick Murray's moves just like everybody else, but really the only reason we have both Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin to build from is because of him (for better or worse). In the end, hopefully it all works out.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I nitpick Murray's moves just like everybody else, but really the only reason we have both Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin to build from is because of him (for better or worse). In the end, hopefully it all works out.

Dahlin I can jive with, but who in the world was going to turn buffalo into more than they were 2014-2015? That team was the pits.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Dahlin I can jive with, but who in the world was going to turn buffalo into more than they were 2014-2015? That team was the pits.
Murray made so many moves to keep us at the bottom that year we were forced to find it funny to keep from crying. That was the year we had five goalies because any time one of them would start rolling they'd get traded. Also the year we gave Meszaros over four million dollars to come be utterly horrible for us. Also the year we literally traded productive players for a guy who everyone knew would be on IR the rest of the year after a tragic wet tracksuit accident. Chris Stewart is 5th in team points? TRADE HIM. Torrey Mitchel is showing heart and good physical play with defensive responsibility? Off to Montreal young lad!

Murray was firmly entrenched as our tank commander that year. Only time I've ever seen a GM actively try to make the team as bad as he could without getting sanctioned.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Murray made so many moves to keep us at the bottom that year we were forced to find it funny to keep from crying. That was the year we had five goalies because any time one of them would start rolling they'd get traded. Also the year we gave Meszaros over four million dollars to come be utterly horrible for us. Also the year we literally traded productive players for a guy who everyone knew would be on IR the rest of the year after a tragic wet tracksuit accident. Chris Stewart is 5th in team points? TRADE HIM. Torrey Mitchel is showing heart and good physical play with defensive responsibility? Off to Montreal young lad!

Murray was firmly entrenched as our tank commander that year. Only time I've ever seen a GM actively try to make the team as bad as he could without getting sanctioned.

Ironically the team was better with Bogo + _ than it was with Myers + Stafford.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I thought they crucified Antipin to pay for the sins of Tim Murray
Or in a revisionist biblical history, the crowd wanted Antipin (Barabbas) released ("Free Antipin" thread), and instead this time JBots (Pilate) refused.

To the point of the article, I (and @Chainshot) and others noted at the time of Murray's wheeling and dealing that BUF could likely not sign each and every prospect beyond some threshold of suck / marginal talent and remain under the 50-contract limit. I think an accurate revisionist history needs to examine how many pro contracts have arisen from all those Murray-traded-away-picks and whether that would fit in some hypothetical Sabres roster scenario. I do like what Botts has done re: increasing the number of AHL-only contracts. It's probably a minor point, and likely doesn't invalidate the anti-Murray thesis, but, in the wisdom of comedian Steven Wright, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Ironically the team was better with Bogo + _ than it was with Myers + Stafford.
Bogo was a madman when he first took the ice at Keybank...I was at his first game and he was all over the place bulldozing everyone. Then...you know, the Bogo curse hit and the rest of that season was history. Good history now, but wow was it painful then.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Or in a revisionist biblical history, the crowd wanted Antipin (Barabbas) released ("Free Antipin" thread), and instead this time JBots (Pilate) refused.

To the point of the article, I (and @Chainshot) and others noted at the time of Murray's wheeling and dealing that BUF could likely not sign each and every prospect beyond some threshold of suck / marginal talent and remain under the 50-contract limit. I think an accurate revisionist history needs to examine how many pro contracts have arisen from all those Murray-traded-away-picks and whether that would fit in some hypothetical Sabres roster scenario. I do like what Botts has done re: increasing the number of AHL-only contracts. It's probably a minor point, and likely doesn't invalidate the anti-Murray thesis, but, in the wisdom of comedian Steven Wright, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

This is a great post!

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Botts doing a great job exorcizing these sins.

But absolutely, Murray's wreckless style has required this rebuild 2 portion.

Considering how many assets Murray squandered, it's downright amazing Botts has us where we're at.

I'll even defend the OReilly trade.

Montour Miller and Thompson have come out of this trade. Nice pieces moving forward.

OReilly, on this team last year, would have been watching the playoffs from home.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Botts doing a great job exorcizing these sins.

But absolutely, Murray's wreckless style has required this rebuild 2 portion.

Considering how many assets Murray squandered, it's downright amazing Botts has us where we're at.

I'll even defend the OReilly trade.

Montour Miller and Thompson have come out of this trade. Nice pieces moving forward.

OReilly, on this team last year, would have been watching the playoffs from home.

Just....no.

We could’ve done everything we have done since, and still kept him. Then we’re talking about the Sabres as close to a contender in 19-20...

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
It's what happens when you attempt to build a hockey team from years past.

Okposo, Moulson .. I'm pretty sure I even saw Billy Smith in net. Rumor has it he even turned down a Taylor Hall trade for Risto.

Thank goodness for forward vision and prudence from our current GM!

No Tim Murray, Rome wasn't built in a day!!

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Here’s what Murray did wrong:

Dumb overpayment on trades

Negotiating long term contracts

Building rochester

Building a defense, including a prospect pipeline

Giving a premium asset for a goalie who would get exposed with our current d core

Here’s what Murray did right:

Filling the center position

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
He built a losing team and squandered an outrageous amount of assets in the process.

Thank God for our current path.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Here’s what Murray did wrong:

Dumb overpayment on trades

Negotiating long term contracts

Building rochester

Building a defense, including a prospect pipeline

Giving a premium asset for a goalie who would get exposed with our current d core

Here’s what Murray did right:

Filling the center position
Which only took botterill a year to completely undo.

You forgot to include murray press conferences/interviews in the what Murray did right category

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Which only took botterill a year to completely undo.

You forgot to include murray press conferences/interviews in the what Murray did right category

That one’s personal preference. I personally enjoy less bs, and more facts in my pressers. I know some people that hated Murray’s cold, calculating appearance though.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I will say that I was one of those not sure what we had in assets to improve the team significantly this summer, and then Botts pulled real talent while stocking our pipeline. It's been masterful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad