GDT: Jim's House of Horrors XI | Pens fail to close deal with Desjardins

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobRossi

Mar 5, 2014
Massachusetts
I've heard that WD wanted four years and pick of a top assistant. Those were the two stumbling blocks. I am not sure of that but it seems very much a possibility. I believe he did want the job, but those two sticking points couldn't be hammered out. No way I believe he came here as just a courtesy. Again that's nonsensical.

Yea when you say it like that it makes sense. Its such a shame too because I would have really loved him as a coach. Everything I have read about him, such as the no ego, being collaborative and playing strong, fast hockey made him my favorite. I dont care at all thats he's 57 and has minimal NHL coaching experience, when there is literally no slam dunk choice available.

Michael8771*

Yea when you say it like that it makes sense. Its such a shame too because I would have really loved him as a coach. Everything I have read about him, such as the no ego, being collaborative and playing strong, fast hockey made him my favorite. I dont care at all thats he's 57 and has minimal NHL coaching experience, when there is literally no slam dunk choice available.
Of course it makes sense. And I agree, I would have very much been behind WD's hiring. Oh well, that ship has apparently sailed.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
At this point, i'd be more interested to know why Bill Peters balked at this job. I firmly believe, he was JR's first choice and i also firmly believe he had the choice between here and Carolina.
Could be the same deal with term/etc. but i'd like to know.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Kevin Dineen with Tocchet as associate head coach I guess.

Wouldn't complain at this point; beggars can't be choosers. I don't like the "get the band back together" thing but I'd probably say Tocchet over Ulf. Also we'd get to see this on the bench every week, which would be a refreshing mind-erase.

08betting.184.jpg

"Hey... zebra.... when this is over I'm gonna ****in' kill you. Just so you know."

Michael8771*

Wouldn't complain at this point; beggars can't be choosers. I don't like the "get the band back together" thing but I'd probably say Tocchet over Ulf. Also we'd get to see this on the bench every week, which would be a refreshing mind-erase.

08betting.184.jpg

"Hey... zebra.... when this is over I'm gonna ****in' kill you. Just so you know."
This is where I'm at as well. While not ideal, those two would be good selections. So, it likely won't happen.;)

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Here are the other tweets from Madden's twitter Rob was referencing.

Mark Madden ‏@MarkMaddenX
Jim Rutherford& Sid had a long meeting in LA. Sid is training in LA. So new GM& capt have not been incommunicado as reported.
https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX/status/480179038183772160

Ownership wanted Tocchet 2b an asst last yr. Shero vetoed. Wanted2 preserve get-along gang. Seen as a big failing by Shero.
https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX/status/480179404853624833

I don't think he's right about Tocchet. Why would Shero veto Tocchet but not Martin?

Madden with his "Pro Wrasslin" agenda of doing a Buddy a favor. Who says Tocchet is a quality assistant coaching talent? If he's so good how come the Flyers have never hired him and he's been out of coaching since 2010??:shakehead

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I agree with Ulf being risky.
Would love him as an assistant working with the D-core(never happen) but not super hyped about him being the HC.

In the media thread, a poster more familiar with the SEL said that Modo wasn't that good of a team and Ulf did a fairly decent job improving their defense and puck possession. They were facing relegation the year before he came and he took them to the playoffs the next year.

I read a quote from a Swedish article about how he wants his teams to play fast-paced game with strong possession, physicality, and discipline. Which sounds great in theory and exactly what we need. My concern is his ability to actually make that happen in the NHL.

I feel like he'd either be great or completely over his head with little middle ground.

At this point, i'd be more interested to know why Bill Peters balked at this job. I firmly believe, he was JR's first choice and i also firmly believe he had the choice between here and Carolina.

I don't know to me it sounded like we didn't offer him a deal and Carolina got there first.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Maybe Carolina got it done while the Pens were having family brunch?

It could be that Carolina felt like the safer choice for whatever reason, he really wanted to be there, some weird loyalty to Detroit, the Pens wouldn't bend on something, etc. Carolina could have just gotten it done while the Pens were trying to figure out how to do things by committee. I doubt it was one reason.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Madden looks like he's putting down Desjardins as a Minor League Curtain Jerker who couldn't handle the pressure of having to win right now but Peters also rejected them, so looks like there's another factor in play here.;)

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Even were that true, that is hardly comforting. In fact that is worse. It means that five GM's/coaching interviews said thanks but no thanks to the same offer elsewhere from, face it, teams who were much further away from a potential cup. Teams that very well may never get to where the Pens are now.

What does that say about how our organization is viewed by potential hires?

It reminds me of the IRS scandal thing. 'Oh no, we were not abusing our power. Instead we were running our entire operation on Commodore 64's and tape backups that we recycled every six months.'

Yeah that makes me feel so much better.

Same here. 'Oh no, we offered them the same term. They just would rather take their chances on at least a five year rebuild in Vancouver, Carolina or Florida than compete for a cup with the two best players in the world.'

Ok, now that has been cleared up I feel just great.

The good thing about this is that we will find out what the pens have been offering coaches as far as term and assistant coaches whenever the new coach is hired.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Madden with his "Pro Wrasslin" agenda of doing a Buddy a favor. Who says Tocchet is a quality assistant coaching talent? If he's so good how come the Flyers have never hired him and he's been out of coaching since 2010??:shakehead

Maybe the taboo of his legal issues :dunno: and he has been working for either Comcast or the Flyers depending on who owns the broadcasts out there.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Do people really want Mike Johnston after the fiasco in Portland?

Not that I necessarily want him, but he sounds like he fits the description of "I had a couple other guys that could have been on that list that I didn’t put them on for varying reasons, such as the present job that they have." I don't think the situation in Portland reflects on his ability to coach here. It's worth looking into.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He did name a source? You don't actually expect me to give that a-hole clicks and waste my time reading his frickin twitter / web accounts, do you? Maybe when he starts getting stuff right more than like... 8% of the time... I'll change my habits.

are you exaggerating or did you ...

wait you changed it to 8%, you wascally wabbit.

It was 18% before edit for the unwashed masses.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
are you exaggerating or did you ...

wait you changed it to 8%, you wascally wabbit.

It was 18% before edit for the unwashed masses.

18% way too generous. He's not even close to be right that often. :laugh: I'm in an upbeat mood tonight but had to tone down the generosity.

RobRossi

Mar 5, 2014
Massachusetts
He did name a source? You don't actually expect me to give that a-hole clicks and waste my time reading his frickin twitter / web accounts, do you? Maybe when he starts getting stuff right more than like... 8% of the time... I'll change my habits.

What was the source? Because I didnt see and im addicted to twitter.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Here are the other tweets from Madden's twitter Rob was referencing.

Jim Rutherford& Sid had a long meeting in LA. Sid is training in LA. So new GM& capt have not been incommunicado as reported.
https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX/status/480179038183772160

Ownership wanted Tocchet 2b an asst last yr. Shero vetoed. Wanted2 preserve get-along gang. Seen as a big failing by Shero.
https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX/status/480179404853624833

I don't think he's right about Tocchet. Why would Shero veto Tocchet but not Martin?

That doesn't seem right to me, Shero vetoed Mario last year? How does Shero veto Mario?

As far as Sid and JR meeting, im not sure why JR had to go all the way to LA to talk to Sid, i mean couldn't Sid of just told JR over the phone that he wanted to play with Kunitz and Dupuis :sarcasm:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
What was the source? Because I didnt see and im addicted to twitter.

There wasn't one. That's the point. It's another "I just got off the phone" and "I am hearing" crapola he and Rossi always pull. They never attribute anything they say to even something vague like "someone in Penguins Management" or "Someone on the Penguins coaching staff", because they know if they do they'll get called on it and utterly humiliated when it comes out that NO ONE talks to these two morons.

That they have as much inside pull as people on this board do.

RobRossi

Mar 5, 2014
Massachusetts
There wasn't one. That's the point. It's another "I just got off the phone" and "I am hearing" crapola he and Rossi always pull. They never attribute anything they say to even something vague like "someone in Penguins Management" or "Someone on the Penguins coaching staff", because they know if they do they'll get called on it and utterly humiliated when it comes out that NO ONE talks to these two morons.

That they have as much inside pull as people on this board do.

Oh ok. Your edited post threw me off mang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad