Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Good bump.

I still don't understand the hate Vesey gets. I think it's because of unrealistic expectations. And maybe his stupid looking, puncheable face?

As a bottom 6 winger, he can produce. The voids in his game have been remedied by some Quinn, but the important thing is he hasn't been a big liability on the ice.

No problem with this kid at all. Despite his flaws he's a hard working player who's shown improvement. I'll take that on a rebuilding team that needs to establish a certain kind of culture for our prospects.

He's been better this year but he was pretty bad the past couple of years and had coaches relying on him because he hustles around the ice even when he's accomplishing nothing. It was frustrating to see him try to play a puck carrying game when he didn't have the skills for it. Quinn seems to have got him playing a more straight forward game most of the time now and Vesey has benefited from it.

Reactions: CasusBelli

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Vesey is a weird player. He’s opportunistic, yet doesn’t seem to capitalize on a lot of big opportunites and yet always has a high shooting percentage.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Vesey is a weird player. He’s opportunistic, yet doesn’t seem to capitalize on a lot of big opportunites and yet always has a high shooting percentage.
People just like to pick on him, just look at the some of the posts in this thread alone, most recent from SingnBlues. One of the best players on the team in finding open space, that’s why he gets all those big chances and easy goals near the net.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
There are things he does that definitely make you go hmmm, like that inexplicable backhand attempt in OT in DC, with no support around him and giving the Caps the puck. He could take it to the next level if he plays less fancy and more straight line.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Vesey has had a pretty good year. He hasn't been lost in space nearly as much as in his first two years. Quinn's gotten a lot more out of him than AV ever did. 19 games left---he's going to be in the mid 40's in points IMO if he continues playing with Zibanejad and Kreider he could go higher.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Right now Vesey is ideal on our 3rd line, but after TDL he get the good bounces and he play way over his average pace. :)
I hope Kratsov slot in with Zib - playing our most skilled and youngest prospects on the 4th line need to be adressed over the summer.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think next year is Vesey's breakout year. 25-35-60.
One never knows. Surprises like that can only hasten rebuilds. NHL history is littered with players who came into their own after multiple years in the league. He does deserve to have a long look so that the organization knows what they have or do not have.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I know, I know, I know that answer.
He rarely shoots the puck, or is in position to shokt the puck when he gets it. He obviously KNOWS he doesn't have the greatest shot, and is smart enough to not even try. (Whether that is a good thing, is questionable......as it is good to get the pick TOWARDS the net, if possible)
He gets literally all his goals within say 15 feet. He did have a nice goal (not the blue line lucky goal) a couple weeks ago from further (forget vs who) which was the 1st goal that I could remember.
Also.....man, does he miss the net often. Even on layups. Therefore NO shot attempt, right? Not saved, no recorded shot. Ergo, high shooting pctg.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
People just like to pick on him, just look at the some of the posts in this thread alone, most recent from SingnBlues. One of the best players on the team in finding open space, that’s why he gets all those big chances and easy goals near the net.
Maybe because he doesn't wanna get punched in the face?
Kidding.
Actually, I have NEVER seen him back down in a scrum, he isn't a "tough guy, we know that", but he isn't a p***y and running away from altercations. In fact the opposite. When someone facepalms him (or whatever they call it) or crosschecked or abused in that scrum......he puts on a really pissed off kind of face) and is pushing and shoving or retaliating in some kind of way. Surprising he isn't in more fights.

Reactions: egelband

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
There are things he does that definitely make you go hmmm, like that inexplicable backhand attempt in OT in DC, with no support around him and giving the Caps the puck. He could take it to the next level if he plays less fancy and more straight line.

Yeah, definitely. He's not "smart" enough and doesn't see the ice well enough to do some of the stuff he seems to want to do, which is why he plays better when moving in straight lines and playing more of a crash the net and forecheck hard style of game.

Can't count how many times I see him try to make a pass that just isn't there because he sees a little bit of open ice but is completely blind to the opposing players waiting to jump the lane.

Reactions: will1066

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, lets just get rid of everybody. Trade Namestnikov, Strome and Fast while we are at it. No need for stability, no need!

Trade Vesey while the value is high. We will possibly need to fit Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Kravtsov, and whoever we draft with our high draft pick this draft. We also can sign Nicklas Jensen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad