Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
What are we to make of Vesey at this point? 33 goals and 55 points after 159 games with a dismal-31 rating. This isn’t what we envisioned when we “won the sweepstakes “ and signed him from Nashville. He is 25 years old and I am wondering if I should keep my fading hope alive. Did he just not flourish under AV’s system and ready to break out? Is he going to forever remain a bottom 6 forward? Please give me your forecast.

Reactions: Ori

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I want to trade him, I am not a fan of his game other than a few pretty goals.

Hayes. Vesey, ADA, Gropp to Calgary for Linholm, Ruzicka and Bennett

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Vesey street comeòn - he has at least a 4th line role in NY. As long AV is not here he won`t see the 3rd line or any spots on the top 6 lines. AV had so many pets while he was here - I`m curious what is going on with him. :laugh:

Tanner Glass too - he sometimes played on our top lines, haha.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Nothing will be handed to anyone on a silver platter. He's going to have to earn the respect and playing time from our new coach. AV isn't here to cradle him any longer. There will be SOMEONE that wants his spot so he had better show marked signs of improvement. He has some skills and has shown a willingness to go to tough areas.....i guess only time will tell.

Reactions: Mikos87 and Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I want to trade him, I am not a fan of his game other than a few pretty goals.

Hayes. Vesey, ADA, Gropp to Calgary for Linholm, Ruzicka and Bennett

I can understand your reasoning - even though he has energy on such a 4th line. I don`t know to be honest - his defense is a soft spot, but I don`t really know if Gorton going to sign him - we have 4 UFA and 7 RFA in this summer window.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm sure he's a guy the Rangers would like to see with a new coach and consistent deployment. Doubt there's much of a trade market for him.

Unrealistic expectations from fans who bought into the hype isn't really the kid's fault though.

Reactions: Jeff Groten and Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes I believe his expectations was set too high for him, but not many who play the 4th line role in NHL compare to the amount of hockey players. So it`s an achievement in itself consider the total amount of hockey players in this world, and most players earn a living playing a 4th line role for any NHL team. :)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
ZERO chance he is moved before the season starts. Vesey desperately, like a few of our younger players, needed a new coach. He will have a very good season IMO.

Tough to get better when you aren't given the confidence of playing time.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Maybe the new coach will give him a limited roll and he can thrive there.

LOL
Like have him lay down on his tummy and roll him over?

Might work, I’m not sure it’s been tried at the NHL level yet.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
So true. He's been way better than anticipated.

Kind of agree. They hype was based on the mid-summer lull as much as anything. I thought he was actually one of the better forwards after the lockout. And a third line of Kesey-Hayes-Spooner is interesting to me—especially with Quinn.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Biggest issue with Vesey I have is that because he "hustles", the previous coaching staff thought he was great and gave him way too much icetime. Just because he looks like he's working hard doesn't mean he's a good player...

That said, he often does a pretty good job forechecking and if he plays the around the net game he can be productive. I think he's mediocre at being a puck carrying distributing type of player which is what he seems to want to be. As a 3rd liner who's told "forecheck and then go to the net" I think he's fine, but so far his play has varied between that and "pretend you're a puck carrying stud

Basically I just want the coaching staff to use him well and he'd be fine

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Biggest issue with Vesey I have is that because he "hustles", the previous coaching staff thought he was great and gave him way too much icetime. Just because he looks like he's working hard doesn't mean he's a good player...

That said, he often does a pretty good job forechecking and if he plays the around the net game he can be productive. I think he's mediocre at being a puck carrying distributing type of player which is what he seems to want to be. As a 3rd liner who's told "forecheck and then go to the net" I think he's fine, but so far his play has varied between that and "pretend you're a puck carrying stud

Basically I just want the coaching staff to use him well and he'd be fine

I guess he should take that as a compliment...he must have really stood out to you if you believed he was getting too much ice time...he was ranked with the 3rd least ice time on the team among all players who played over 30 games...only Desharnais and Carey got less ice a game.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I guess he should take that as a compliment...he must have really stood out to you if you believed he was getting too much ice time...he was ranked with the 3rd least ice time on the team among all players who played over 30 games...only Desharnais and Carey got less ice a game.

Well I think that requires some qualification. I think Vesey did get demoted at times when the coaches didn't feel he was playing well, but they were also happy to put him back up in the top six quickly as well. I just didn't feel that what they were evaluating his play based on was particularly useful. Hard for me to put into words exactly other than I guess instead of settling him into a bottom six forechecking and lurk around the net type of player, the coaching staff bounced him up and down based on him being one of those guys who's skating a lot all over but not accomplishing as much. He's a mediocre defensive player but he appears to be trying so it seemed that he got a pass for his play there. He's often a step behind in terms of reading the play and passing while he has the puck in the offensive zone but he hustles around the ice so he gets a pass...etc. Get him to focus on forechecking and driving to the net and allocate icetime based on that.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well I think that requires some qualification. I think Vesey did get demoted at times when the coaches didn't feel he was playing well, but they were also happy to put him back up in the top six quickly as well. I just didn't feel that what they were evaluating his play based on was particularly useful. Hard for me to put into words exactly other than I guess instead of settling him into a bottom six forechecking and lurk around the net type of player, the coaching staff bounced him up and down based on him being one of those guys who's skating a lot all over but not accomplishing as much. He's a mediocre defensive player but he appears to be trying so it seemed that he got a pass for his play there. He's often a step behind in terms of reading the play and passing while he has the puck in the offensive zone but he hustles around the ice so he gets a pass...etc. Get him to focus on forechecking and driving to the net and allocate icetime based on that.

Ah gotcha.

I'm excited to see how Quinn will play all the kids...esp Vesey, Buch and ADA who i feel were not coached well at all by AV.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pretty much all Rangers forwards go through cold spells---if they can be valuable in other ways when they're not scoring is kind of important. Vesey goes through cold spells and so far anyway he's too often ineffective in other areas when that's happening. He needs to be consistently better away from the puck. He needs to be much more of a force. He's not necessarily a bad player in my eyes but I don't particularly look at him as a hard forechecker or a particularly physical player---though maybe compared to some of his teammates he is. Just need more out of him in most every area.

That said--IMO he'll get a raise this year but I don't expect a big one. I would not give him more than $1.5. If he wants more he's going to have to do more.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hate to necro bump a thread but I feel like Vesey deserves some love for the way he's seized the opportunity in front of him this month. He's been better this year and is starting to show some signs that he's figuring out his game in the NHL. 10 points in his last 12 and 6 in his last 3. Always viewed him as a potentially very good complimentary winger and he seems to have found a niche there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad