Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Howard re-signed for 6 years 5.3m per year

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It's time for Kenny to pay the Piper. Don't hate on Jimmy, he's not the one who buried himself in the minors until he had no more waiver-free eligibility. He's proven himself to be a strong #1 goalie so he's going to get paid. All I want from Holland is to make sure he doesn't give Howard a no movement clause.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You'd take Luongo over Jimmy, with the contract he has? :laugh: Miller might be another story, but given our recent track record of acquiring players, I wouldn't count on it.

i hate luongos contract but i also know he is a signifcantly better goalie then jimmy howard and thats not a knock on jimmy whatsoever

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
5.5 for Filppula or 5.3 for Howard? I'd rather pay Howard, but they probably should've traded Fil at the deadline.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
This signing would mean that Filppula's as good as gone. So happy that Holland stood pat at the trade deadline instead of trying to get something, a pick, a rental, Miami Heat tickets, ANYTHING for Filppula at the trade deadline.

It's one thing to withhold trading a player when you know you have a legitimate opportunity to win the Stanley Cup, it's another thing entirely to withhold upcoming free agent players simply because you are too chickens*** to move them. As a GM, Kenny's responsibility, first and foremost, is the longterm success of the team; he has been piddling away potential assets of late, and it is very irritating to see.

For once, just once, I would like to see him do something progressive and try to trade up for the upcoming draft. I'd like to see some evidence that he has a pair, and that he isn't just attempting to build on some naive concept of player/franchise loyalty; now would be as good a time as any to prove that he has the cojones to ensure this teams future success, whatever the cost.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1 min
Jimmy Howard confirms he is close to deal with Wings, Expects it will be done by weekend. It is 6 years in the $5.3 Million per year range

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Hm I like Jimmy and don't understand why he gets as much crap as he gets however I don't know how I feel about 6 years. I'd rather pay him 5.3 for like 3 or 4 years but that's just my opinion.

RedWingsNow*

Don't really like it, but I can live with it

AS LONG as there is not a no trade clause.

Personally, I'd sign him and trade him and Smith to the Sabres for Miller Myers

Holland needs to maintain flexibility

RedWingsNow*

Hm I like Jimmy and don't understand why he gets as much crap as he gets however I don't know how I feel about 6 years. I'd rather pay him 5.3 for like 3 or 4 years but that's just my opinion.

What crap does he get?
Most fans think Jimmy is a good NHL starter. THere aren't many fans who think Jimmy sucks or who ***** about Howard a lot.

The idea that Jimmy is the target of a lot of "crap" sounds like fiction to me.

Aug 6, 2012
If Holland knew about this before the deadline (he probably did), then not trading Filppula is idiotic. Do something creative, take a chance for once.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If that's the case the last two-three years better be without NTC. Jimmy is our 100% starter at least another three years the way I see it. Mrazek's gonna do his minor league work, then he's gonna be the backup. After that there needs to be flexibility.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
If Holland knew about this before the deadline (he probably did), then not trading Filppula is idiotic. Do something creative, take a chance for once.

Agreed, Fil has been moved to 3rd Line center and Helm, Tatar and Jarnkrok arent up here playing. Clearly he is easily replaceable and should have been shipped at the deadline.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Don't really like it, but I can live with it

AS LONG as there is not a no trade clause.

Personally, I'd sign him and trade him and Smith to the Sabres for Miller Myers

Holland needs to maintain flexibility

Can you explain your rationale here? We'd be trading a goalie for another goalie making more than him and we'd be trading a guy like Smith who doesn't make anything for Myers who makes 5.5 and has regressed since his rookie season.

I like both Miller and Myers, but I don't see it as a huge benefit for the Wings, especially given Miller/Myers play the past few seasons.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Howard is getting full UFA amount+ (I don't think any other team will pay him that much on UFA)

I don't like the deal.

Either pay him 5.3M at shorter term (3~4 years)
or
6 years at 4~4.25M

Definitely no NTC/NMC, although with Holland it doesn't matter since he doesn't trade roster players anyway

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
As others have said I'd be fine with the cap hit if the term was lower and I'd be fine with the term if the cap hit was lower, not pleased with a high cap hit + long term. All in all not a terrible deal but certainly not good.
Hopefully this forces Kenny's to use those compliance buy-outs this summer.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Can you explain your rationale here? We'd be trading a goalie for another goalie making more than him and we'd be trading a guy like Smith who doesn't make anything for Myers who makes 5.5 and has regressed since his rookie season.

I like both Miller and Myers, but I don't see it as a huge benefit for the Wings, especially given Miller/Myers play the past few seasons.

i can only assume its because he belives miller is better then jimmy(which he is) and that myers is more proven at the NHL level then smith(true but i still hold out alot of hope for smith)

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
As others have said I'd be fine with the cap hit if the term was lower and I'd be fine with the term if the cap hit was lower, not pleased with a high cap hit + long term. All in all not a terrible deal but certainly not good.
Hopefully this forces Kenny's to use those compliance buy-outs this summer.

:laugh:

You should wish Kenny doesn't go and gets bought out using compliance buy-out

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
I really hope these reports aren't accurate. I hate the idea of overpaying for a goalie, especially when that goalie is overrated. There would be much better ways of allocating that money and term.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
This would be a not very bright move by Holland, IMO. Too much $ and too many years. Give more money, less years if need be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad