Post-Game Talk: Jimmy Howard proves the giving season is still upon us

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
True, not necessarily everything about the lines. About much more than that, Special teams e.g. But just 'cause they are the easiest thing to change. Why bother doing so, when the former ones don't work out?

I'm really trying to understand, but what's the point in playing Helm with Dats all the time? Just look at the third period yesterday, after he changed it up.
Looked much better to me. Helmer got good speed and is not that bad at the puck, but he clearly lacks offensive IQ and hands.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Please provide the link to anyone saying this stretch has been impressive and excuse me while I don't hold my breath while you do.
Yeah, when the entire team plays like crap, goals will go in. It's easy to blame it all on the goalies.

Mrazek is second to Holtby in the entire league in quality start percentage; Howie is one of the absolute worst in the league. They play on the exact same team so please continue to make excuses for Howard. The only reason this team is in playoff contention is due to Mrazek. So I'm sorry I can't accept making up every excuse imaginable for Howard. Some of us are willing to be a bit more critical than others.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Mrazek is second to Holtby in the entire league in quality start percentage; Howie is one of the absolute worst in the league. They play on the exact same team so please continue to make excuses for Howard. The only reason this team is in playoff contention is due to Mrazek. So I'm sorry I can't accept making up every excuse imaginable for Howard. Some of us are willing to be a bit more critical than others.

Howard's great play to start the season sure did help keep Detroit in playoff contention.

Howard has been bad, lately, yes. But give him credit in the early stages at least.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I will echo what most have said that the lines likely need a shakeup but I don't know what to do with them. On the bright side I like what we have seen out of Nosek....another player to make a few players more expendable that won't happen :rant: .

Wish Holland would make a splash and shake this team up. To me the only untouchables are Larkin and Mrazek at this point. I would literally trade any player on the entire roster.

Could someone tell Kronwall that his "slap pass" BS is not fooling anyone? How many times did he try that during the game? Could Z make another drop pass to the other team please?

I had very high hopes for Blashill coming in, and I realize that the roster isn't as good as everyone thinks. I think we're a bubble team at best and the standing show that. However, I'm starting to wonder what is really going on in the locker room. I don't see adjustments in tactics. I know he doesn't run the powerplay but at this point you need to step in and start doing it if it is that abysmal.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Going tweet by tweet with analysis is kinda painful. Would be way better with a blog. I find that stuff to be really interesting.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

I asked for a link to anyone saying they're impressed with Howard's performance in his last couple of games. What you said and how you responded just now leads me to believe you don't know the difference between constructive criticism and hyperbole, which seems to be the case with quite a few people. And, for the record, I do believe that Mrazek is, indeed, more talented and the future of this team.

Hunting Bow*

I asked for a link to anyone saying they're impressed with Howard's performance in his last couple of games. What you said and how you responded just now leads me to believe you don't know the difference between constructive criticism and hyperbole, which seems to be the case with quite a few people. And, for the record, I do believe that Mrazek is, indeed, more talented and the future of this team.

Each second, minute, hour and day Howard stays on this team the less value he has! I've been saying since July he needs to go. His best years are behind him and he just keeps getting worse and worse.

I wanted him traded and a salvagable backup signed. Instead we are sitting here watching Holland I can't admit to a mistake signing decrease in value by the second!!!!

SMFH

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Whoever is interested in that (just follow the tweet(s) and scroll down):

Going tweet by tweet with analysis is kinda painful. Would be way better with a blog. I find that stuff to be really interesting.

Yeah. Twitter should not be used this way.

On a side note, I reallllllllly want Trouba on this team. To hell with Buff, snag Trouba.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
That's how most coaches are. He isn't bowman and never will be bowman turning lashoff into lidstrom

Bowman always had amazing teams stacked with talent. He was not making water in to wine.

I am not going against his line matching abilities but he always had the horses to get the job done. How is Blashill going to magically find better lines? Bowman was known for LINE MATCHING, he would make something to beat the other team and the beat the other coach to their matching decisions by consistently changing things up, this was done with Elite talent that could play on any team on any line and thrive. Blashill has Dylan Larkin. That's about it for his player who seems to be able to play on any line and be an impact. Dats was that guy for a long time but he's slowed down and needs some certain components to be truly successful. Z is a workhorse but I put him in the same boat with Dats. Nyquist and Tatar need a body to keep the puck down low and draw presence so they can operate. We just don't have the dynamic game changers that some teams possess.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Each second, minute, hour and day Howard stays on this team the less value he has! I've been saying since July he needs to go. His best years are behind him and he just keeps getting worse and worse.

I wanted him traded and a salvagable backup signed. Instead we are sitting here watching Holland I can't admit to a mistake signing decrease in value by the second!!!!

SMFH

Goalies generally peak at a later age than Howie. You might be right due to injuries but his best years are most likely not behind him. Also, he was an all-star last year and his value dropped greatly. I think Holland made a solid decision in waiting to see if he came up hot again and then trade him at a high point. Sometimes decisions like that don't pan out but trading from a position of power is always favorable.

Hunting Bow*

Goalies generally peak at a later age than Howie. You might be right due to injuries but his best years are most likely not behind him. Also, he was an all-star last year and his value dropped greatly. I think Holland made a solid decision in waiting to see if he came up hot again and then trade him at a high point. Sometimes decisions like that don't pan out but trading from a position of power is always favorable.

This will be 3 years in a row where he's been substandard.

Is coincidence he's never had good numbers like he had when Lidstrom was on the team?

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
It's basically shuffling the same deck and hoping for a better draw. I'm with you, I don't think swapping out this or that player will suddenly create sustained offense and scoring. Particularly when most of the key players we've seen together for several seasons. We kind of know how most of the cogs fit together.

But lines are the easiest thing to change so they get brought up first. Easy to criticize when they don't work. Easy to call out when the coach changes them too quickly... or not quickly enough. There's merit, at times, but ultimately I think the issues are the cards we're playing with.

We just have to trade our weaker cards for greater value, each and every one of them. After we accomplish this simple task, we trade those better players to make two blockbuster trades for the leagues #1D and #1C, of course signing them to 12 year 4 mil per year deals. This is all so simple and any one of us could easily accomplish it. Afterwards we find the magical scouts who always pick 100+ point scorers in the fourth through seventh round and trade all of our early picks for other superstars who are willing to play for only 4 million a year. If any of these steps fail we just reload our save and.......

This is how I translate our board on most nights. I agree with you completely Bench. We do have a good talent pool coming up however and we're not too far away from conceding one or two seasons of mediocrity to become a powerhouse. If we continue to stay at our wait and see approach I feel we might not see the peak of the mountain without living in the valley for a long time.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
This will be 3 years in a row where he's been substandard.

Is coincidence he's never had good numbers like he had when Lidstrom was on the team?

He as arguably the best goalie in the NHL for the first half of last season. We had one of the worst bottom 4 D in the NHL last season. I think our defense core has slid over the last three years and not just because of losing Lidstrom, also Blashills system is not as defensive as Babcocks so it's hard to tell.

That said, my only point was that most goalies do not peak at that young of an age.

http://ingoalmag.com/analysis/goaltenders-aging-and-the-nhl/

Interesting article, at 31 Howard is certainly close to peak or maybe as surmise slightly past it.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I look at the majority of goals that Howard has given up, and i can only think of two goals during his recent stretch of bad play that were just bad flubs that he should have stopped.

Against NJ, two goals were just egregious defensive breakdowns where the defense let the opposing forwards walk right up to the slot and take a very high quality shot.

Howard has not been good, and Mrazek has been better as of late, but the narrative should not be, "Howard is the reason the Wings lost the game." It has been a team effort. As it stands right now, Mrazek should start the next 3-4 games and if Howard has another bad performance after that, you give Mrazek another 3-4 starts in a row and rinse/repeat.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I look at the majority of goals that Howard has given up, and i can only think of two goals during his recent stretch of bad play that were just bad flubs that he should have stopped.

Against NJ, two goals were just egregious defensive breakdowns where the defense let the opposing forwards walk right up to the slot and take a very high quality shot.

Howard has not been good, and Mrazek has been better as of late, but the narrative should not be, "Howard is the reason the Wings lost the game." It has been a team effort. As it stands right now, Mrazek should start the next 3-4 games and if Howard has another bad performance after that, you give Mrazek another 3-4 starts in a row and rinse/repeat.

Howard hasn't lost the Wings any games per se, but he hasn't won Detroit any games lately either. Mediocre play from a guy making 5 million a year isn't something fans abide easily.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Couldn't agree more. I mean last night I don't think I could call any of those goals "bad" or put them solely on Howard. The first 2 he was hung out to dry, the third was extremely hard to stop considering it was deflected off the stick into the very top corner, and the fourth he had Kronner and I think Tats screening him more than any Jet (there was a Jet there too), he had no chance.

I think right now Mrazek should start every game except the second leg of a back to back, until Howard can right the ship because even with the bad breaks, Petr definitely gives us a better chance to win. If Howie can step up to the plate and overcome adversity more power to him, but right now Mrazek should get the reins and most of the starts.

Other than that getting Pulky, Miller, Q, and Big E will help a lot more than some people think. Also the lines need to be shaken up, I thought Jurco complimented Tats and Sheahan (who's been really good lately) more than Nyquie.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The Wings haven't put a good product on the ice in about half a decade and the trajectory has been slow decline, think Islanders in the second half of the 80s. They're opening a new arena in the not so distant future.

Ownership has to ask itself if this current M.O. of just hanging on to all your average guys and occasionally adding an over the hill FA is really gonna cut it. With Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall on the way out, something needs to be done to halt the slide and the answer is not on the roster yet. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheehan..those are feasible even OK NHL players but there's a lot of those out there and you need a few elite guys to really be a contender. Maybe Larkin will be an elite guy. I really hope so but even if that happens it's just one forward. That's not enough.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The subject shouldn't be about the goalie as much as about the offense and defense. Wings can't score. That's the biggest problem.

Personally, I think the team has the flu which means they are lacking energy. Late 90s / 2000s team could play with 30% energy and still be leaps-and-bounds better than 27 other teams. In the post-cap-era any team can beat anyone on any given night. It's so tight now, any personnel issues can single-handedly cost the team a W.

Add to that, 3 games in 4 nights... I am giving this team a pass.

Hunting Bow*

Howard hasn't lost the Wings any games per se, but he hasn't won Detroit any games lately either. Mediocre play from a guy making 5 million a year isn't something fans abide easily.

Too many here like to avoid the FACT that substandard goaltending can kill a team. Howard, night in and night out gets defeated as soon one score happens and he's done. While Mrazek bounces right back up. Howard just can't find that blind squirrel moment where a poor/deflected shot hits him rather than going in.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We didn't talk about Weiss this much.

Did you hear that? Right now about five people just went, "Who?"

Weiss barely ever played. Howard has been the starter for several seasons now and was again last year until he went down and lost it and this season has alternated. He played far more regularly than Weiss.

That said, he's been good this season besides the last 2 games. But two games in a row of that means this is Mrazek's chance to pull away.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00