Jim Martin retires as Bruins PA announcer

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Which is the main reason that I'm moving out of here as soon as I retire. I'm done with it. Every freaking where you go it's nothing but congestion. I need to go where there's some room to move about without being stuck in traffic at all hours
Moving somewhere where traffic doesn't blow literally ALL THE TIME, where there's so much less ingrained anxiety, where there's NO SNOW, and where the cost of living is much better - I highly recommend it!

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Moving somewhere where traffic doesn't blow literally ALL THE TIME, where there's so much less ingrained anxiety, where there's NO SNOW, and where the cost of living is much better - I highly recommend it!

I'd love that but I know my wife won't and honestly I don't want to be too far away from our 4 kids either so we're bound to New England for better or worse!

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
With all due respect to Mr.Martin. If I was PA announcer , I would never retire.Working a few days a week, weeks at a time off when there's a road trip and summers off. Sounds like a cool job to me. If only I had an announcer voice. Probably gonna be a long line of candidates for that gig. What does a PA make annually?

Nearly every PA announcer (and every other game-night worker) is a part-time job. It's 45-55 nights a year of pay, a few hundred bucks a night, on top of your full-time day job. It can be a grind, especially if you're commuting to the game after work on a weeknight and have to be back at the office the next morning. I've done it for years in various roles in the minors. It's a labor of love, but I can see where it can be too much for someone.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Nearly every PA announcer (and every other game-night worker) is a part-time job. It's 45-55 nights a year of pay, a few hundred bucks a night, on top of your full-time day job. It can be a grind, especially if you're commuting to the game after work on a weeknight and have to be back at the office the next morning. I've done it for years in various roles in the minors. It's a labor of love, but I can see where it can be too much for someone.

Well, from that perspective, I'll keep my day job. Thanks for the insight, looks like a cool job. Not all that glitters is gold I guess

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well, from that perspective, I'll keep my day job. Thanks for the insight, looks like a cool job. Not all that glitters is gold I guess

Jim loved the job but logistics have changed since 1993. 25 years ago you could leave downtown Providence and expect to be in Boston by 6 - not anymore

Jim was an iconic PA announcer in the NHL and there are very few left

Michel Lacroix in Poutineville

Lou Nolan in Philadelphia

and Gene Honda in Chicago

Most of us try to put a face with a voice but with Honda you would be wrong.

An Interview With Gene Honda

Wally1912

Sep 8, 2006
NAS South Weymouth
Do we know if a permanent replacement for Jim is in place?
It sounded like different voices during the couple of exhibition home game which were broadcast. I think Jon Meteratrel was one of them and possibly the Providence Bruins current guy one night. Not sure about the third.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Do we know if a permanent replacement for Jim is in place?
It sounded like different voices during the couple of exhibition home game which were broadcast. I think Jon Meteratrel was one of them and possibly the Providence Bruins current guy one night. Not sure about the third.
Fens says it’s the Providence Bruins PA guy moving up.

It’s nice to see they’ve been able to draft and develop IN SOME AREAS given their track record in free agency.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The guy tonight will sound exactly like Jim
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Reactions: bbfan419 and Fenway

BruinsFan0877

May 22, 2009
Boston, MA
After some unsuccessful fill ins (I hate that the new folks only announce penalties once among other things..) Jim was back at the Garden last night announcing the game. Do we know if it was just a one time thing or will he be back permanently? As much as I wish he was more accurate with the foreign names it was great to have him back and hope he is back for a while!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
After some unsuccessful fill ins (I hate that the new folks only announce penalties once among other things..) Jim was back at the Garden last night announcing the game. Do we know if it was just a one time thing or will he be back permanently? As much as I wish he was more accurate with the foreign names it was great to have him back and hope he is back for a while!

He is back on a reduced schedule which is a win for everyone.

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad