Jim Martin retires as Bruins PA announcer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jim Martin announced his retirement on Facebook this afternoon
This posting is a little long. Please bear with me.

In April 1993 the Boston Bruins called and asked if I was available to finish out the season as PA announcer at the old Boston Garden. It was the second round of playoffs against the New Jersey Devils. A few hours later I was sitting center ice in a building I often snuck into as a kid to The first in-game announcement - a penalty to Ray Bourque. The penalty box was so small we sat next to one other, knees nearly touching. I couldn’t believe it. Here I was, working for the Boston Bruins and I am sitting next to Ray Bourque in Boston Garden. For the next 26 seasons I had the privilege of sitting in that chair as voice of the Bruins.

There comes a time when we all have to make tough decisions with our head and not our heart. It’s time for the next person to have the same privilege to sit in the chair and to be the voice of the Boston Bruins. I have 26 seasons of fabulous memories. Three Cup Finals, a Stanley Cup parade and Stanley Cup championship ring (thank you Mr. Jacobs!), two Winter Classics, an NHL All-Star Game, banner raisings, including Ray Bourque’s, the privilege of calling over 1,000 games, to name just a few.

There were somber moments, too. Among them, the first game played after the marathon bombings, honoring first responders and military personnel who over the years gave their lives to protect us, and the passing of so many great Bruins.

I can’t possibly count the number friends I made along the way. The list of people to thank is endless. From management past (thank you Nate Greenberg for calling me up from the Providence Bruins and keeping me around and Heidi Holland as my guiding light) to the present (Cam Neely and Don Sweeney for allowing me to hang around all these years), the staff, bull gang, ushers, off-ice officials, and of course the players. Trust me when I tell you hockey players are THE most genuine and caring good guys in all of professional sports. Thank you to the army of incredibly hard working behind the scenes staff. People you never see or hear who work their tails off every game to ensure fans have the best game-night experience possible. They made my job fun and easy.

With that I say thank you to my family, particularly my wife and biggest fan Lisa Kilby, who supported my every step of this incredible journey. My 26 season run has been a privilege for which I will be forever grateful.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's not going to be the same. No Rene Rancourt and now no Jim Martin? Times are changing in the Garden.

I wonder who gets the job now. Didn't Marc Bertrand fill in a few times in recent years?

Reactions: Boston Bruno

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Sad to see him go. A damn good announcer. He knew his moments, too - the loudest I've ever heard the Garden was Game 5 this year when he announced, in his booming voice, that Zdeno Chara - broken jaw and all - was a starter. That particular moment was executed to perfection.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Jim doesn't actually "woo" at games, does he? He has a "woo" button, right? At least that's what I've assumed. I honestly have no feelings about the "woo" itself - it's not unique to Boston. If he were the very first one to record and use Ric Flair's "woo" in a non-wrestling context...yeah, retire it. But I don't think that's the case.

Reactions: Lo97

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Sad to see him go. A damn good announcer. He knew his moments, too - the loudest I've ever heard the Garden was Game 5 this year when he announced, in his booming voice, that Zdeno Chara - broken jaw and all - was a starter. That particular moment was executed to perfection.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Jim doesn't actually "woo" at games, does he? He has a "woo" button, right? At least that's what I've assumed. I honestly have no feelings about the "woo" itself - it's not unique to Boston. If he were the very first one to record and use Ric Flair's "woo" in a non-wrestling context...yeah, retire it. But I don't think that's the case.

It’s a recording.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
He was great. His voice was just perfect for what he did. I hope he enjoys his retirement

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm sad to see him go, but i hope he has a splendid retirement. He has been a part of so many good memories and I definitely feel privileged to have been around for the ride. Thank you, Jim.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Audio of Rick Flair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->