Jim Martin retires as Bruins PA announcer

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
They could just get Ric Flair himself to be the PA announcer. He'll do anything for a thousand bucks these days

Reactions: TP

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Jim is outstanding. His voice, his cadence, his way of rising to a big moment. The way he says “Bruins goal scored by number 37, Pa-trice Berrrrrrrrgeron.” His booming voice over the PA is as synonymous with Bruins hockey to me as any player.!

When I started doing hockey PA several years ago, I patterned a lot of my goal/penalty calls after Jim’s, as I really like his delivery (although not with anywhere near that great of a voice).

Wishing Jim well in retirement. Bruins games will sound different. He’s earned every moment.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
I wonder if the guy who does the Beanpot/Hockey East tournaments is next. I believe he filled in for a Bruins game one time.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I don't know, in every clip I've found of Ric Flair doing the WOO, I don't think it sounds like the After Goal WOO, like, at all. Maybe it's just me, but it sure sounds just like Jim Martin did it and that's the recording they use. (maybe I just WANT it to be big Jim?)
It is Flair

"Flair’s trademark “Woo!” has been a Garden staple for years. A cut of the “Woo!” plays at the completion of every Bruins goal announcement at home games."

Read more at: Stars Troll Bruins With Ric Flair GIF After Empty-Net Goal Clinches Win

Last edited:

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
This is a bummer. Whenever they had someone replace him for a night it was the weirdest thing ever. Hopefully they find a solid replacement who carves out his own place in our hearts. I'll miss the way he announced Bergeron and Rask the most.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
If you don’t believe that don’t. Everywhere over the years it has been said that is Flair,.

NESN, Dale Arnold on the radio, etc

Let go man! :laugh:
I'm just saying I looked and couldn't find anything. One would think if it had been said everywhere, it would be easier to verify. Not that it's a big deal.

But this is what I've chosen to hold on to, so I won't let go! ;)

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Since it's obviously a recording (of whom is yet to be determined :naughty:) , I have no issue with the recording staying.
Ask yourself this.

Since it has been an audio cut all these years and if it is Jim Martin who is there behind a mic. Why use an audio clip of the man when he is already there behind the mic and let him just do it himself?

Judge Smails

How 'bout a Fresca?
Jan 20, 2004
Bushwood CC
I'm young enough that I don't really even know anyone else. This is going to be sad and really weird.

Great letter - genuine and heartfelt. Good luck to him and congratulations on his retirement.

I can remember Joel Perlmutter, he was a young guy when he got the job but had a very old school style, I liked him a lot and I like Jim a lot, too.

I think Perlmutter was pretty abruptly replaced, never heard why. Maybe our buddy Fenway knows. He passed away scary young (46).

Northeastern PA Voice, Perlmutter, Dies at 46 | College Hockey | USCHO.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad