Jim Martin retires as Bruins PA announcer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can remember Joel Perlmutter, he was a young guy when he got the job but had a very old school style, I liked him a lot and I like Jim a lot, too.

I think Perlmutter was pretty abruptly replaced, never heard why. Maybe our buddy Fenway knows. He passed away scary young (46).

Northeastern PA Voice, Perlmutter, Dies at 46 | College Hockey | USCHO.com

Jim got the job when Joel Perlmutter was fired in 1993 for scalping tickets. Harry fired him in the hope that Joel would clean up his act but alas it didn't happen.

Reactions: Judge Smails

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is not good news he was the best in the NHL. Building is gonna feel weird this year especially not having another banner like we should.

Reactions: flooredaccord

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The only thing I didn't like was how he announced TUUkka.

Do I have to renounce my Bruins fandom now? :laugh:

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-9-12_19-17-42.png

Jim Martin hangs up microphone as Bruins PA announcer

Reactions: rfournier103

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
With all due respect to Mr.Martin. If I was PA announcer , I would never retire.Working a few days a week, weeks at a time off when there's a road trip and summers off. Sounds like a cool job to me. If only I had an announcer voice. Probably gonna be a long line of candidates for that gig. What does a PA make annually?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I doubt we'll see many more PA guys with lengthy careers like that. I know Lou Nolan in Philly has done it forever. Paul McCann has been with the Preds for quite a while. Nashville fans always yell "how much time is left?" a couple seconds before he makes the last minute of the period announcement, then afterwards everybody yells "thanks Paul!" :laugh:

Unfortunately it seems like the trend now is to get super hyped and very annoying voices, like the guy in Vegas. :help:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins longtime PA announcer Jim Martin calls it a career - The Boston Globe

Martin also handled PA duties with the AHL Providence Bruins for five years — overlapping with his Boston duties for two seasons — and for some 25 years with the Pawtucket Red Sox.

Particularly touching, said Martin, was a call last week from Bruins president Cam Neely, thanking him for his years on the job.

“The call from Cam Neely,” mused Martin, “for me . . . was more than I could have asked for. I just hope the next person who takes that position understands what a privilege it is to sit in that chair. To have been part of that organization . . . to be part of the National Hockey League . . . to have that job . . . I still have to pinch myself.”

Martin, who remains working full time in Providence as the Public Information Officer for the US Attorney’s office in Rhode Island, a job he has held for 11 years, figures he will use his free time to see more of his family, including three grandchildren, and have more flexibility to visit his winter home in Cape Coral, Fla.

“I’ll tell you what I’m looking forward to, though,” added Martin. “I’m looking forward to going back to the Garden as a fan, and watch a hockey game with a beer in my hand. I have never seen a sporting event in that building as a fan.”

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
With all due respect to Mr.Martin. If I was PA announcer , I would never retire.Working a few days a week, weeks at a time off when there's a road trip and summers off. Sounds like a cool job to me. If only I had an announcer voice. Probably gonna be a long line of candidates for that gig. What does a PA make annually?

Or it is just not for him anymore and you can wish him well in his life wanting to spend more time with his family instead of making a passive aggressive comment because you seem to not have enough in your life.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Or it is just not for him anymore and you can wish him well in his life wanting to spend more time with his family instead of making a passive aggressive comment because you seem to not have enough in your life.

The man is 67 and was tired of dealing with the drive to Boston during the week from Rhode Island which can take 2 hours.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Lol , ouch. I did say with all due respect. Perhaps a little less coffee in the morning for you. I was just trying to say that sounds like a dream job. Mr. Martin can retire any time he chooses and with his head held up high. Good luck to him.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Lol , ouch. I did say with all due respect. Perhaps a little less coffee in the morning for you. I was just trying to say that sounds like a dream job. Mr. Martin can retire any time he chooses and with his head held up high. Good luck to him.

Yeah...all great tributes and accolades always start with "With all due respect" :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good for him to make a choice in his life to be happier.
In the last 20 years the drive to Boston from Providence has become a nightmare.

95 should have been built from Canton to Boston but the project was scrapped in the 70’s and traffic was steered to 93 which can’t handle it.

The Orange Line was supposed to go to Westwood but that didn’t happen either.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
In the last 20 years the drive to Boston from Providence has become a nightmare.

1000% agreed. The ride EVERYWHERE is worse.

I started working as an electrician in 2000, and like everyone else in construction, that meant being on the road EARLY in the morning.

In 2000, I saw nothing but pickup trucks; work trucks; and vehicles with union stickers on them on the road with me at 5:30 in the morning. Fellow construction workers on their way to make a 6:30 or 7am start time. The highways were relatively uncongested.

In 2019, it’s bumper-to-bumper and the guy or gal sitting in the vehicle next to me at 5:30am is just as likely to be wearing a suit and heading into the office as they are to be wearing carhartts on their way to the jobsite.

Huge difference.

I don’t have the chart in front of me, but I believe Massachusetts is the second most densely populated state in the union behind only New Jersey.

That makes for a lot of traffic.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
1000% agreed. The ride EVERYWHERE is worse.

I started working as an electrician in 2000, and like everyone else in construction, that meant being on the road EARLY in the morning.

In 2000, I saw nothing but pickup trucks; work trucks; and vehicles with union stickers on them on the road with me at 5:30 in the morning. Fellow construction workers on their way to make a 6:30 or 7am start time. The highways were relatively uncongested.

In 2019, it’s bumper-to-bumper and the guy or gal sitting in the vehicle next to me at 5:30am is just as likely to be wearing a suit and heading into the office as they are to be wearing carhartts on their way to the jobsite.

Huge difference.

I don’t have the chart in front of me, but I believe Massachusetts is the second most densely populated state in the union behind only New Jersey.

That makes for a lot of traffic.

Which is the main reason that I'm moving out of here as soon as I retire. I'm done with it. Every freaking where you go it's nothing but congestion. I need to go where there's some room to move about without being stuck in traffic at all hours

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Which is the main reason that I'm moving out of here as soon as I retire. I'm done with it. Every freaking where you go it's nothing but congestion. I need to go where there's some room to move about without being stuck in traffic at all hours

I don’t know if I’m going to move away from the area, but I can assure you I’m pulling the pin (as we electricians like to say) and retiring as soon as I can.

8:35am on September 1, 2032 I am DONE.
upload_2019-9-13_10-46-17.png

Not that I’m keeping track or anything...

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad