Jim Benning TSN1040 - 6:10PM TODAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
id like to see them ask about mceneny and mcnally. what do they have against mcs?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i tweeted him about mcnally and "what qualifies his son to be a scout on an NHL team after being a security guard just before"

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
We've had 87 non-first round draft picks in the past 15 years, and only 5 of those have gone on to become regular NHL skaters, with not a single one in the past 10 years (Mason Raymond in 2005 was the last). This has all happened under the current Chief Amateur Scout's reign.

Jesus ****ing christ... those numbers. :shakehead

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Why, given the Canucks' abysmal drafting history, have overhauls not been made to our scouting staff? Noteably Ron Delorme?

He already answered this once. I can't remember what interview but he said he plans to work closely with them to make them better. give them criteria of what to look for in players and proper training. they're all good people that have been with the organization for a long time blah blah. I'm willing to bet he says the exact same thing again.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i just want him to acknowledge that mceneny and mcnally exist. im not sure he actually understands that

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
ask him; what is your vision for a successful defense in the playoffs? and what are your plans to get the Canucks defense to that level?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Oh, it gets even worse when you consider the number of them that haven't even sniffed the NHL - not even 1 game.

Of those 87 non-first round picks, 69 of them never played a single NHL game.

Now, in fairness - that's all the way up to the most recent drafts, so in some cases, some of these guys may yet get a shot. But the vast bulk of them are players that have long-since busted.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He already answered this once. I can't remember what interview but he said he plans to work closely with them to make them better. give them criteria of what to look for in players and proper training. they're all good people that have been with the organization for a long time blah blah. I'm willing to bet he says the exact same thing again.

I'd love to do a one on one with him, because my follow up to that would be to inform him that Mike Gillis said - verbatim - the exact same thing upon being named GM. And thus far, Gillis' drafts (2008-2013) have yielded exactly 2 full-time NHL players, Hodgson and Horvat, and both were Top 10 1st rounders.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
i tweeted him about mcnally and "what qualifies his son to be a scout on an NHL team after being a security guard just before"

That's a odd question. This does not matter what so ever, pointless to ask

Last edited:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I'd love to do a one on one with him, because my follow up to that would be to inform him that Mike Gillis said - verbatim - the exact same thing upon being named GM. And thus far, Gillis' drafts (2008-2013) have yielded exactly 2 full-time NHL players, Hodgson and Horvat, and both were Top 10 1st rounders.

yeah I'm not a fan of what he said. he must be really confident in his drafting ability.. putting his own ass on the line to protect a bunch of proven failures. hopefully he plans to make cuts as he gets to know them better and sees how bad they are. why surround yourself with dummies when you have a choice?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Oh, it gets even worse when you consider the number of them that haven't even sniffed the NHL - not even 1 game.

Of those 87 non-first round picks, 69 of them never played a single NHL game.

Now, in fairness - that's all the way up to the most recent drafts, so in some cases, some of these guys may yet get a shot. But the vast bulk of them are players that have long-since busted.

the fact that the scouting staff failed to find ahl players and in some cases, professionals at any level is even more damning

That's a dumb question. This does not matter what so ever, pointless to ask

this is a really weird reaction

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
ask him; what is your vision for a successful defense in the playoffs? and what are your plans to get the Canucks defense to that level?

this.

how does he plan to improve the back-end, where it can be better equipped to handle an aggressive forcheck. this was an issue for vancouver for many parts of the season, not just one which showed up against the flames.

is sbisa, better than like of subban and karlson.? because he has less giveaways than him. haha

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
College/University players often slide because of their academic commitments, not being available to the farm right away. I'd like to hear his philosophy on this.

ie: will he pass on the next BPA if he happens to be committed to his education?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Is he planning any more moves this year to help us upgrade our blue-line (i.e. 1st selection, trades, etc)?

I doubt he answers that, but I am sure he will say he will do what he can to get draft picks, "I love draft picks"

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Re-ask the Delorme question.

Ask for another explanation of why the team gave a defender as statistically horrible as Sbisa such a large contract. 2nd worst GA/60 in the NHL despite being a 'defensive defender' playing for a good team. Does our organization use advanced stats in any way?
Ask why he gave that contract to a guy who over the last 7 years has the worst defensive stats of any active nhl defenseman with 2 or more years worth of games.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I'd really love to see an answer for the RFA status and whether or not a qualifying offer was considered, but you could also look into something along the lines of:

"You mentioned that Sbisa was 5th in giveaways among dmen on the team as one of his positives. Looking at the leaders in giveaways in the NHL, it seems to be mostly elite players with Subban, Tavares, and Burns taking the top-3 spots. Thinking about it, it makes sense - the more you have the puck the more opportunities you have to give it away. Can you elaborate on your giveaway comment - perhaps something that fans are missing?"

This question is excellent.

Also why acquire Clendenning when Bobby Sanguinetti is by all accounts a superior player.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

One of the things that bugs me when people would look at a number of the regulars on the team who happened to be drafted under Burke and Nonis terms and say they 'built' the current iteration of our team.

At the very least the '15 years' thing doesn't provide enough time for our most recent picks to establish themselves or bust. From 2011 Frankie Corrado looks like a strong bet to establish himself as a regular, and he could be followed up by Ben Hutton and Cole Cassels to make it potentially three in a row. Still a bit early on Benning's first draft with Demko, Tryamkin, and Forsling.

Definitely a good question to try and get through without phrasing it in a manner that gets him to dodge the question. What does he think of the Canucks long term drafting record, and being a former head scout himself will be he putting his own touch on the department. Not necessarily firing and replacing people, Aquilini had always been willing to spend extra cash in other areas to strengthen the organization.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Ask how he will improve team speed? The playoff teams seem faster than ever and the league seems to be moving to more mobility. Players of average speed seem to disappear in the playoffs.

Also ask if he thinks he has took many players that are not well-rounded. For example Bonino is skilled, but too slow. Sibisa has great tools, but is too error prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad