Jim Benning TSN1040 - 6:10PM TODAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
1. Sbisa(use numbers like shots and goals against)
2. Subban(why isn't he signed?)
3. Ben Hutton(will he be signed to an ELC?)

Please and thank you.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Direct some questions to me, Ill try to get them asked.

"With the Canucks recent lack of success at the draft table, what do you think is the organization's biggest problem at attaining success? Is it a poor direction in terms of what previous General Managers have been looking for? Is it improper personnel? Is it a poor job by the head scouts? Is it prioritizing the opinions of the wrong scouts? Is it not enough personnel? In addition, do you think that, by bringing your son to the scouting team, you've begun to address the team's shortcomings at the draft?"

Alternatively

"Given Sbisa's struggles in the playoffs, many are wondering about the process involved with re-signing Luca Sbisa. Was there any thought given to re-signing Sbisa after the playoffs, given that he was set to be an RFA, not a UFA? Was there any consideration to giving Sbisa his qualifying offer to see if he progresses before giving him bigger money and longer term?"

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The sbisa questions are a problem because he will slip and slide it, Maybe if was asked directly about his give away comment?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Is their a focus on the Canucks' 2015 1st (currently 23rd) to select a d-man (barring all things being equal) based on the current need for a top pairing d-man both now (and in the future)?

I.e. Roy, Kylington, etc.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
If you guys have scotty rintool on twitter, direct him to this thread with tweets, I am sure he will give it a look and ask some of these questions. Scotty is a more modern type radio host, really down to earth, I am sure he will give some of these a long ask.

https://twitter.com/ScottRintoul

If he does see this, here are a few I want answered.

1 - Many people are worried about Jordan Subban's contact situation, wondering why he is not signed yet.

2 - Update on the O'Connor situation.

3 - What is the drafting mentality for this years draft, will you pass on drafting a Defense-man if he is not BPA?

Last edited:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
The sbisa questions are a problem because he will slip and slide it, Maybe if was asked directly about his give away comment?

I'd really love to see an answer for the RFA status and whether or not a qualifying offer was considered, but you could also look into something along the lines of:

"You mentioned that Sbisa was 5th in giveaways among dmen on the team as one of his positives. Looking at the leaders in giveaways in the NHL, it seems to be mostly elite players with Subban, Tavares, and Burns taking the top-3 spots. Thinking about it, it makes sense - the more you have the puck the more opportunities you have to give it away. Can you elaborate on your giveaway comment - perhaps something that fans are missing?"

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If you guys have scotty rintool on twitter, direct him to this thread with tweets, I am sure he will give it a look and ask some of these questsions.

If he does see this, here are a few I want answered.

1 - Many people are worried about Jordan Subban's conract situation, wondering why he is not signed yet.

2 - Update on the O'Connor situation.

3 - What is the drafting mentality for this years draft, will you pass on drafting a Defense-man if he is not BPA?

Why, given the Canucks' abysmal drafting history, have overhauls not been made to our scouting staff? Noteably Ron Delorme?

The rest of your questions are excellent. :)

Also, re: Ben Hutton - he's already been signed to an ELC. Back on March 16th: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=758351

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I'd also ask:

"There are a few aging vets with only 1 year remaining on their contracts. Will some of those vets be moved to make room for younger players?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Re-ask the Delorme question.

Ask for another explanation of why the team gave a defender as statistically horrible as Sbisa such a large contract. 2nd worst GA/60 in the NHL despite being a 'defensive defender' playing for a good team. Does our organization use advanced stats in any way?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Mr. C beat me to it, but definitely go back and reiterate the drafting question. Reference our drafting history with these scouts and ask what has changed, because clearly some kind of change is needed.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Agree with other posters.

Ask who has final say on draft selections and is there a focus on one particular area than another i.e. WHL, OHL Q, College, Europe? If so, why?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Mr. C beat me to it, but definitely go back and reiterate the drafting question. Reference our drafting history with these scouts and ask what has changed, because clearly some kind of change is needed.

We've had 87 non-first round draft picks in the past 15 years, and only 5 of those have gone on to become regular NHL skaters, with not a single one in the past 10 years (Mason Raymond in 2005 was the last). This has all happened under the current Chief Amateur Scout's reign.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We've had 87 non-first round draft picks in the past 15 years, and only 5 of those have gone on to become regular NHL skaters, with not a single one in the past 10 years (Mason Raymond in 2005 was the last). This has all happened under the current Chief Amateur Scout's reign.

Perfect statement!

Luc: read this verbatim.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I'd also ask about his thoughts on Virtanen and if he has been a disappointment considering the years of other drafted players around him.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Ask, "what do you feel your biggest weakness has been as GM this season?", and see if that leads into any of the questions that were already asked in this thread.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
"What is your favorite color?" because he won't give up any interesting info, just like the season ending press conference with Linden and Willie.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ask, "what do you feel your biggest weakness has been as GM this season?", and see if that leads into any of the questions that were already asked in this thread.

This is actually a good call.

Haven't seen any admission of any mistakes from anybody in management or coaching this season.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
"What is your favorite color?" because he won't give up any interesting info, just like the season ending press conference with Linden and Willie.

Benning did address a few hard things, like the NTC for example. I actually did not get the feeling that he was dodging that much at the conference.

Willie D and linden on the other hand were

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

I just haven't done enough scouting. ive been so overwhelmed with the workload as a gm that i haven't gotten a chance to get to my roots

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
What are your plans for Horvat next season? Larger role? PP time? Decent linemates? Defensive partner for Sbisa to cover his mistakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad