RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The example I can think of that serves to answer your question is Matt Moulson:

Oct 27th 2013 he gets dealt to Buffalo by the Islanders

March 5th 2014 he gets dealt to Minnesota by Buffalo

July 1st 2014 he as a free agent signs with Buffalo on a 5x5 deal.

So it is possible he(Hamhuis) could resign with the team if he/Benning wanted to sign another contract.

The Blues were good at this at one point.

Doug Weight: 2006-Jan-30 Traded from St. Louis Blues with Erkki Rajamaki to Carolina Hurricanes for Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis, Magnus Kahnberg, round 1 pick in the 2006 draft (Matt Corrente), round 4 pick in the 2006 draft (Reto Berra) and round 4 pick in the 2007 draft

Resigned with St. Louis for the 2006-07 season.

Keith Tkachuk: 2007-Feb-25 Traded from St. Louis Blues to Atlanta Thrashers for Glen Metropolit, round 1 pick in the 2007 draft (Mikael Backlund), round 3 pick in the 2007 draft (Brett Sonne) and round 2 pick in the 2008 draft

Resigned with St. Louis for the 2007-08 season.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Benning being able to swing something like this with Hamhuis. Benning sucks at getting value and the two don't exactly have a long standing working relationship. If treated right I'm sure Danny would extend right away with Vancouver. Benning however is prioritizing resigning his own acquisitions guys like Sbisa, Dorsett, & Sutter, and is being a lot more coy about extending Hamhuis and Vrbata.

So personally I'd bet if he gets moved Hamhuis isn't coming back.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
McNally also had the 1 year suspension for cheating. Character may have been an issue, and Benning may have wished to avoid any questions about it/ didn't want to talk smack about McNally.... just ramble some nonsense like usual...? i dunno

I get the impression niether side were too keen on him signing here. Too bad, because I always thought he had decent potential.

No.

Read up on it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No.

Read up on it.

Yeah wasn't it more like he was caught being lazy? One of those BS classes that universities make everyone take but no one takes seriously where along with 100-200 other students he was caught copying off each other or the class assignment.

There was the point where he was considering a career other than pro hockey, that probably caused Benning's brain to shut down. In a way that lost year sucks because otherwise he probably would have been signed and in the system already playing for Utica last season.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
While we are talking McNally Benning once again messed that up, I can't find the quote but he says stuff like this (from sekeres twitter)
#Canucks GM Benning says d-man prospect Patrick McNally was dealt because too similar and not as good as Jordan Subban, Ben Hutton
10:53 AM - 27 Jun 2015

Probably why he thought it was a good idea to trade Forsling for Clendenning, guy is awful at evaluating players. Thin on blueline prospects? We got 2 offensive ones we don't need him apparently

I don't think it had anything to do with McNally not wanting to sign here, he even said it came as a surprise

“The trade came as a bit of a surprise to me, but when it happened I talked to a couple of guys from San Jose, and my agent thought it was a good fit,” said McNally, who is currently taking two summer classes at Harvard and plans to complete his degree in August. “They seemed like they were excited to have me, so it kind of moved quickly after that.”
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...jose-sharks-harvard-michalek-wild-hart-tampa/

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
While we are talking McNally Benning once again messed that up, I can't find the quote but he says stuff like this (from sekeres twitter)
#Canucks GM Benning says d-man prospect Patrick McNally was dealt because too similar and not as good as Jordan Subban, Ben Hutton

Probably why he thought it was a good idea to trade Forsling for Clendenning, guy is awful at evaluating players. Thin on blueline prospects? We got 2 offensive ones we don't need him apparently

I don't think it had anything to do with McNally not wanting to sign here, he even said it came as a surprise

“The trade came as a bit of a surprise to me, but when it happened I talked to a couple of guys from San Jose, and my agent thought it was a good fit,†said McNally, who is currently taking two summer classes at Harvard and plans to complete his degree in August. “They seemed like they were excited to have me, so it kind of moved quickly after that.â€
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...jose-sharks-harvard-michalek-wild-hart-tampa/

must have been his outrageous 2-year $800k 2-way contract demands.... $67K in the minors, 90K bonus madness.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Yeah it's pretty simple really, use Stewarts slot on McNally, sign Stewart to an AHL contract

that was tough

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
We should be in for just a hilariously bad year. Not even talking about our eventual record.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

“The trade came as a bit of a surprise to me, but when it happened I talked to a couple of guys from San Jose, and my agent thought it was a good fit,” said McNally, who is currently taking two summer classes at Harvard and plans to complete his degree in August. “They seemed like they were excited to have me, so it kind of moved quickly after that.”

Well there is definitely a lot of time on this transaction to see if he got it right.
Not much mention on what was probably what his biggest strike... His drive.. He's obviously gifted... But does he have the drive to take his gm to the next level... Benning didn't think so... Time will tell if he was right.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
ignore me

Nonetheless, the difference in value you're getting from the 3rd line compared to the 4th is just astounding. 500k or so more but they should be able to play anywhere in your middle 6 while providing solid two-way play. The latter group is really only capable of lining up against 4th lines and might still come out in the red possession-wise.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Well there is definitely a lot of time on this transaction to see if he got it right.
Not much mention on what was probably what his biggest strike... His drive.. He's obviously gifted... But does he have the drive to take his gm to the next level... Benning didn't think so... Time will tell if he was right.

Sbisa top 4, Vey top 6 center, Prust is a good skater, even he knows how questionable his evaluations are look how quickly he discarded Bonino and Clendening, and acquires Sutter who doesn't play at all like Benning describes

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Sbisa top 4, Vey top 6 center, Prust is a good skater, even he knows how questionable his evaluations are look how quickly he discarded Bonino and Clendening, and acquires Sutter who doesn't play at all like Benning describes

Numbers suggest Sutter is difficult to score against.. Sbisa filled in admirably.. Vey was a rookie.. And Prust I'll find out first hand...
If Bonino could get by as a 2nd line centre with his skating, Vey also has a chance develop into one as well.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Numbers suggest Sutter is difficult to score against.. Sbisa filled in admirably.. Vey was a rookie.. And Prust I'll find out first hand...
If Bonino could get by as a 2nd line centre with his skating, Vey also has a chance develop into one as well.

Numbers show that Sutter magically makes his goaltenders better.

Sutter isn't particularly good at stopping HSC/SC/CA/FA He's actually pretty mediocre at.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So personally I'd bet if he gets moved Hamhuis isn't coming back.
If Benning tells Hamhuishe is trading him to a contender but will try to sign him as a UFA, Hamhuis has a high chance of coming back. This is a guy who went from the Preds to Flyers to Penguins before coming to Vancouver. If the term and money is right he will re-sign with the Canucks.

I wanted Benning to sign McNally but McNally is at this point nothing more than an average prospect and there are contract limits. Maybe McNally is an average prospect unlikely to ever make it to the NHL. Do you disagree that Subban and Hutton are ahead of McNally? I can't even say McNally is ahead of McEneny, Sautner, and Cederholm.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If Benning tells Hamhuishe is trading him to a contender but will try to sign him as a UFA, Hamhuis has a high chance of coming back. This is a guy who went from the Preds to Flyers to Penguins before coming to Vancouver. If the term and money is right he will re-sign with the Canucks.

I wanted Benning to sign McNally but McNally is at this point nothing more than an average prospect and there are contract limits. Maybe McNally is an average prospect unlikely to ever make it to the NHL. Do you disagree that Subban and Hutton are ahead of McNally? I can't even say McNally is ahead of McEneny, Sautner, and Cederholm.

He is probably ahead of Sautner and cederholm. He also fits the magical age gap.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think that will change, or at least mellow, once the whole team is assembled and on the ice. Really, if you dismiss the cost, the team looks a little improved. Mot leaps and bounds better, but a little better suited to Desjardins. I think people will calm down about various managerial moves once they see what was being undertaken and how it turned out.

Uhh no, we most definitely did not improve. Our project roster is older than last season, and on paper at least we are worse than last season, while still being pressed against the cap.

I don't know how it's possible to get older, worse, and more expensive, but Benning found a way.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Uhh no, we most definitely did not improve. Our project roster is older than last season, and on paper at least we are worse than last season, while still being pressed against the cap.

I don't know how it's possible to get older, worse, and more expensive, but Benning found a way.

Yeah, it's quite shocking. Like, I want to say he's the worst GM in the NHL for a very long time, Milburyesque, but I worry that it's just because I'm emotionally attached to this team. I'm starting to get to the point where I don't think it's my feelings towards the team driving the opinion. He's done literally everything wrong since he got here. His drafting might be okay, but he fired our now competent head scout and just blows the picks/prospects anyway to get bad players. He can't get value on contracts (Sbisa, Dorsett, Sutter, Vey). He can't win a trade (except Baertschi). He can't assess NHL talent (Sbisa, Dorsett, Kassian, Lack, Prust, Sutter, Clendening, Corrado, Miller. Not to mention specifically wanting Sbisa in the Kesler deal). He can't manage prospects (Stanton, Corrado and Sanguinetti sitting while Sbisa plays like trash. Kassian sitting while putting up a point per game with the Sedins. Lack the 'backup' while outplaying Miller for less, then trading Lack for an underpayment). He can't manage veterans (Trade Garrison for a 2nd, trade that 2nd for Vey, let Schroeder walk who is arguably better than Vey. Doesn't move Matthias at the deadline, lets him walk. Lets Santorelli walk who is also better than Vey and Schroeder. Lets Richardson walk to, once again, keep Vey. Acquires Bonino, then downgrades on him to Sutter, instead of at least holding on to Bonino until the deadline when his cheap contract is most valuable. Trades Kesler immediately instead of waiting until the deadline to get the best return).

The guy literally doesn't do anything right. If he was good at some things while a failure at others, he might be a C or C- GM. He's a total F though, he is literally absolutely useless and is making our team worse in every way. I'm literally in shock with how bad he is.

Also, Linden is an absolute failure of a president as well. Hires Benning, and doesn't fire Benning when Linden as a hockey guy should know the team got worse. Either doesn't communicate with Benning or flat out lies to the fans. Claims the fans don't like Sbisa because of a preseason turnover. Fires all the competent staff like Gilman, Crawford and Henning. He even fired Mike Burnstein. When do trainers get fired by NHL teams? Absolute joke of a President and I hope he apologizes to the fans for his incompetence once Benning finally gets canned.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
We should be in for just a hilariously bad year. Not even talking about our eventual record.
I think we are in line for at least one more Kassian-level blue-screen-of-death moment during the season, perhaps when things start going noticeably sour. Either a terrible Hamhuis/Vrbata trade, or the dealing of a high draft pick for some fringe vet or something.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

I'm agreeing with you more and more every day...which scares me, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad