Jim Benning & Management Megathread -- Leadership Level is over 9000 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I can't wait for the season to start. Great decisions by management all through out the off season.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I can't wait for the season to start. Great decisions by management all through out the off season.

Agreed. After seeing all the analysts projecting us as a cup favorite, and Vegas giving us 2-1 odds of winning the cup, I think this fanbase is very optomistic (rightfully so). Bennings an early lock for GM of the year (imo)

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Agreed. After seeing all the analysts projecting us as a cup favorite, and Vegas giving us 2-1 odds of winning the cup, I think this fanbase is very optomistic (rightfully so). Bennings an early lock for GM of the year (imo)

if Benning stayed status quo in the off season we'd be in good shape though right? no need for changes when everything is going so well.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The current Canucks team + One more "good" defenseman

The current Canucks team + One more "good" defenseman

I look at this current Canuck line-up and don't think we're that bad up front:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baerstchi-Sutter-Vrbata (If Horvat shows he's capable, he moves up to 2nd line C)
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen (Sutter could drop down to this line if Horvat surpasses).
Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Sbisa-Bartkowski

Miller
Markstrom

Call me crazy, but I actually think an 'upgraded' Horvat playing with Vrbata might actually be on-par with Sedin-Sedin-Burrows in terms of offensive production.

In terms of defensive savviness, Sutter is a significant upgrade over Bonino and so I'd expect a line of Higgins-Sutter-Hansen to be an excellent shut down line.

The point I'm making is this: If Horvat truly has taken a "step forward" from last season, and he surpasses Sutter as the 2nd line C, then I think our forward group up front will actually be quite good. Add to the fact, that we have a solid group of prospects/vets "waiting in the wings" in case of injury. Virtanen, Kenins, Cassels, Gaunce, Adam Cracknell, etc.

In goal, you have the veteran/former elite in Ryan Miller, backed by an extremely promising Jacob Markstrom who was extremely good down in Utica last year. So in that sense, I think our goaltending should be pretty decent as well.

My biggest concern however, is on defense. I'm just not sure if Sbisa, Weber, Bartkowski, or Corrado can be a worthy #4 d-man. Even if one of those guys does, injuries are inevitable.....meaning that you could potentially have 2, or even 3, of those aforementioned four playing in an "inappropriate" Top 4 role if we're struck with the injury bug.

My line of thinking is this: Lets say the Canucks start off the regular season as they did last year (i.e. fairly impressive), and contrary to the belief of many, they don't look like a team that will struggle and instead, look like a team that will do as well as last year. However - it becomes obvious that our bottom 3 defensemen aren't quite where they need to be, and it looks like Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev, and Miller/Markstrom are being 'over-extended' in terms of workload/duties.

Would you consider making a move for a promising defenseman?

If all of the above hold true, I'd actually consider packaging Corrado and a 2016 1st for a very promising defensive prospect that is still on an ELC. Not sure if something like that would be feasible, but it's something that would certainly cross my mind.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
if Benning stayed status quo in the off season we'd be in good shape though right? no need for changes when everything is going so well.

why wouldn't be in good shape, we were a 101 point teamâ„¢ last year

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
and got embarrassed when it really mattered. coming back with the same group after getting embarrassed in the first round is what bad GM's do.

how about coming back with a worse group after getting embarrassed

what kind of GMs do that

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If all of the above hold true, I'd actually consider packaging Corrado and a 2016 1st for a very promising defensive prospect that is still on an ELC. Not sure if something like that would be feasible, but it's something that would certainly cross my mind.

Wouldn't consider doing that unless it was for Ekblad or Jones.

JD12

Jul 11, 2008
PE, Canada
and got embarrassed when it really mattered. coming back with the same group after getting embarrassed in the first round is what bad GM's do.

Identical to everything said last offseason. I can't wait until the season starts to see which posters will actually eat their crow this year.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
So your argument is any change is good change? Because vegas would disagree.

I never said that. but I do like that changes were made because not making changes would say that the organization is ok with the current state of the team and bowing out in the first round is acceptable. I have no idea if the changes will work out and either does anyone on this message board but I do know that not making changes would definitely not work out because we've already seen it happen.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I never said that. but I do like that changes were made because not making changes would say that the organization is ok with the current state of the team and bowing out in the first round is acceptable. I have no idea if the changes will work out and either does anyone on this message board but I do know that not making changes would definitely not work out because we've already seen it happen.

No one is advocating keeping the same roster. But objectively speaking, this is an older, more expensive, and worse overall team. Analysts/Vegas don't project us anywhere near the playoffs.

*side note, is anyone else unable to post using their mobile device because of the new pop up ads? I can't close them and it plays a short video I have to close like 10 times before the ad will go away. Don't mind ads, but its a nightmare using this from my iphone.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
How embarrassing will it be when we don't make the playoffs this year?

if they don't make the playoffs this year you will all get what you want and the blow it up rebuild will be on (I would expect). there will be no way to sell "let prospects develope in a competitive environment" at that point when there is no longer a competitive environment.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
how about coming back with a worse group after getting embarrassed

what kind of GMs do that

He came in and thought that the last half of the 2013 season meant this team was in the toilet and so did a lot of people

Literally firing Tortrella, trading Kesler, and signing a back up goalie was all this team needed to be back in the playoffs

Change for the sake of change isn't good, and now his changes got lit so he's making more.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
why wouldn't be in good shape, we were a 101 point teamâ„¢ last year

Just to play devils advocate, didn't a ridiculous amount of those points come from winning in OT? Excuse the pun, but that is really skating on thin ice.

Just something to keep in mind when declaring us a 101 point team and that it should be a no brainer to replicate.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
if they don't make the playoffs this year you will all get what you want and the blow it up rebuild will be on (I would expect). there will be no way to sell "let prospects develope in a competitive environment" at that point when there is no longer a competitive environment.

Oh it's not what I "want", it's how I feel things are going to go based on the moves Benning has made the last 2 seasons. And I don't believe that there will be any "blow it up rebuild" for this team regardless of how they finish...I think they will continue to follow this misguided "plan" even in the event of a collapse.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Just to play devils advocate, didn't a ridiculous amount of those points come from winning in OT? Excuse the pun, but that is really skating on thin ice.

Just something to keep in mind when declaring us a 101 point team and that it should be a no brainer to replicate.

They also had a very unsustainable wins by one goal record. Their division got better too.

When you compare this team to last year's team this years team is worse. I expect a mid 80's point season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
14-15 2nd : Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata
Vs
15-16 2nd ~ Baertschi-Sutter-Vrbata

14-15 3rd : Matthias-Richardson-Kassian /Vey
Vs
15-16 3rd ~ Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

14-15 4th and spares : Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen / Vey, Kenins
Vs
15-16 4th and spares ~ Dorsett-Vey-Prust /Kenins, Virtanen