Jim Benning & Management Megathread -- Leadership Level is over 9000 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Benning is a terrible talent evaluator and scout. I wouldn't want him as our head scout any more than our GM.

Agreed, if/when we can ditch Benning I see no reason to keep him around as head scout, where he's still going to want to work with guys like Weisbrod and Delorme. Also this alternate reality where we kept Gillis but hired Benning as head scout would be like throwing oil & water together, the two just wouldn't work together. Crawford was Gillis' main guy, and Benning fired him.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Agreed, if/when we can ditch Benning I see no reason to keep him around as head scout, where he's still going to want to work with guys like Weisbrod and Delorme. Also this alternate reality where we kept Gillis but hired Benning as head scout would be like throwing oil & water together, the two just wouldn't work together. Crawford was Gillis' main guy, and Benning fired him.

But yet Delorme persisted always.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
AV was done. Gillis too almost just fort the year + ling goalie fiasco.
Doesnt mean we coukdbt rehire gillis after JB. As unlikely as that may be.

Gillis wasn't a GM before the Canucks, and he hasn't seemed to show any interest in going back to being one. I think ownership would have to pretty much beg Gillis to come back after the way everything went down and they made him the scapegoat.

Apparently AV wasnt done.

Unless of course you subscribe to the "lost the room theory".

The same room that was lost to polar opposite Torts.

Even good coaches have a shelf life. Good coaches are fired all the time.

Cockroaches are tough little *****, they just don't die.

SaltySnipes*

Dream year:

Win #2 pick

Take Chychrun

Acquire two more 1sts at the deadline

Pick Jake Bean and Tyler Benson

Yes please

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Gillis wasn't a GM before the Canucks, and he hasn't seemed to show any interest in going back to being one. I think ownership would have to pretty much beg Gillis to come back after the way everything went down and they made him the scapegoat.

Even good coaches have a shelf life. Good coaches are fired all the time.

Cockroaches are tough little *****, they just don't die.
Coaches get fired for a variety of reasons.

I have yet to see any evidence of this shelf life thing other than "coaches get fired all the time".

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Why did Trotz get fired in Nashville? Was he a bad coach? What about AV when he was let go from Montreal?

I'm not in the room, I can't say if coaches actually can 'lose the room', but it's not just any coaches who get fired all the time, good ones do too. Maybe it's just to take heat off of the GM, maybe players get complacent, I don't know. I guess GMs also keep signing goons which makes no sense so firing coaches could be just like that, I suppose.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Why did Trotz get fired in Nashville? Was he a bad coach? What about AV when he was let go from Montreal?

I'm not in the room, I can't say if coaches actually can 'lose the room', but it's not just any coaches who get fired all the time, good ones do too. Maybe it's just to take heat off of the GM, maybe players get complacent, I don't know. I guess GMs also keep signing goons which makes no sense so firing coaches could be just like that, I suppose.
The specific reason could be one of many.

Fired to preserve the man aboves hims head.

Change for the sake of change.

Personality clashes with players and or other management staff.

Etc etc

Shelf life is just a neat tidy way of cleaning up what in every other jobbon the planet is the dirty politics of the job.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
That's fine, but we have no way of knowing if AV was fired just for sake of change, or to get heat off of Gillis, or personalities clashing.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

This is what truly baffles me. Delorme is primarily to blame for a series of god awful draft choices, yet he somehow continues to have a job. Worse, Benning actually defended this moron. I do have to wonder if this is a Darrel Katz/80s Oilers situation. Aquilini just really likes the guy for some reason.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Taylor Ellington, Mallet, the nightmare is over. Looking forward to a strong scouting/drafting/development model.

After the 2010 draft list was revealed it became clear to anyone with a long view that when this team was going to transition away from the Sedins it would need a drafting GM.

Who knew that the same GM who allowed that 2010 draft list would also drive away 2 of the teams superstars and hasten the need for a rebuild, ultimately slamming shut the window on a core that should have never been one and done.

You have yet to prove Kesler (and even Luongo) left specifically because of him. But don't let that keep you from repeating this as if it was fact.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
This is what truly baffles me. Delorme is primarily to blame for a series of god awful draft choices, yet he somehow continues to have a job. Worse, Benning actually defended this moron. I do have to wonder if this is a Darrel Katz/80s Oilers situation. Aquilini just really likes the guy for some reason.
Linden has also defended him on numerous occasions. He said he did not want to fire a good scout when he was being given proper direction. Who is eating up this drivel? We are supposed to believe Delorme has been given poor direction over several mgmt regimes and the span of decades? This is a results-based occupation, how is he still standing? Cockroach is right :laugh:

I hope the first action of the next GM is to fire this guy and poach a better scout from another team. That's the only way this will change, or well when he keels over.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Yeah we have at least two cockroaches on this team. Delorme is a known one and Weisbrod has just wormed his way inside Canucks management. Who knows how long it'll take to get rid of him.

Make JB head of scouting, keep Gillis ->>> ???? - >>>> profit????

To me his drafting prowess is overrated, and yet people who support Benning tout that as pretty much his only strength. It's funny as his only supposed area of expertise isn't even a given.

And even if he was good at that, it still wouldn't make up for any of the other stuff he's done. There is literally no good argument for him here.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
There was a great sentiment at the time that the team had stagnated under AV. Now whether the impetus to fire him came from Gillis or ownership is up for dispute. But there was no one complaining at the time when he was let go.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Delorme has to have something really serious on the Aquilinis or someone close to them.

It's the only explanation that makes sense.

Maybe his father saved the elder Aquilini from a vampire attack in Sicily and he swore an oath to protect his idiot son out of gratitude or something.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
There was a great sentiment at the time that the team had stagnated under AV. Now whether the impetus to fire him came from Gillis or ownership is up for dispute. But there was no one complaining at the time when he was let go.

Who is noone and who whould they complain too?
Why would anyone complain he got fired when they gotto stay?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think it was the right time to let AV go, no matter how good of a coach he was.

I think the core did stagnate under him near the end, but I don't think it was his fault.

There was no way we were going to rebuild at the time.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
You have yet to prove Kesler (and even Luongo) left specifically because of him. But don't let that keep you from repeating this as if it was fact.

He's the manager and president, player relationships, HR issues, communication of roles and expectations are also all on him- they were part of his former role.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I have a feeling gaunce and therfore an extension of gillis is a symbolic 29th overall pick from losing the stanely cup. And gillis is as much a part of the championship team jim benning is building also contributed horvat.

Now if i were to ask u who are mike gillis top draft picks. Your answer would likely be bo horvat and brendan gaunce.

The thing is mike gillis was hired in April 2008. Some 7 odd years ago.

Now if mike gillis. Who inherited the following players in or about to be in their prime.

Sedin
sedin
kesler
burrows
bieksa
salo
ohlund
luongo
schneider
edler
hansen

You would think that jim benning receiving the ripe helping of

Horvat
gaunce

Would give good ol jim a bit a leeway

Raawww rawww over paid contract. Sorry son please sit down.

Benning is buildingdrafting a champion

Last edited:

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
He's the manager and president, player relationships, HR issues, communication of roles and expectations are also all on him- they were part of his former role.

"On" him, okay - but "because of" him? There's a distinction that you're not making clear.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Benning is a terrible talent evaluator and scout. I wouldn't want him as our head scout any more than our GM.

Yep. This is the guy who watched Sbisa for 82 games (plus all the prior scouting) and thinks he's worth a regular spot on the team, let alone the contract he got. I have a hard time imagining that he can be so off-base with his pro scouting and somehow competent as an amateur scout.

Somehow some good years in Buffalo a decade ago and some comments about "being a scout at heart" has fooled many into believing that this guy is some draft guru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad