Jim Benning Is Underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
it's too early to say if he's decent or not IMO. Remember when people thought Gillis was good? then boom he went full ******. Time will tell with Benning as well.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Which part of your post would that be? The part where you said he wasn't the worst ever and I agreed? He's not the worst ever but he is the worst right now.

No. Hes not. Making small trades you dont agree with =/= worst right now. Other than small nickle and dime trades, he hasnt done anything bad.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Funny coming from an Avs fan. What exactly has Sackic / Roy / whoever is actually running the show there done?

Avs management is worse IMO

That's exactly it.

Outside of the ROR trade(Which you wont find a single Avs fan who wasn't happy with that trade) the Avs haven't done anything significant at all the last couple of years.

And that's a very good thing. When Sakic took over this team was coming off a 29th place finish in which we drafted Mackinnon.

We also had a bottom 5 prospect pool to go along with a bottom 5 roster.

In his 3 years, we've went from being a bottom 5 team to a playoff contender, and our prospect pool has went from bottom 5 in the league to above average and borderline Top 10.

Sakic has done a very quiet but very good job with the Avs so far, and again you wont find any Avs fans who sees it otherwise.

Just look at the work he managed to do this summer, signing good low cost free agents instead of overpaying for free agents(Like Benning did) and he signed all the core pieces we have to fantastic contracts that wont hurt the team long term and will actually set us up well next year to make a big splash if we decide to go that route.

Just because Sakic hasn't done much since becoming GM doesn't mean he's done a bad job. He's done a very good job and has made both the on ice roster and the prospect pool better since taking over.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The transaction list is right there for all to see.

What he's been doing in turning over an aging team and incorporating youth has been pretty significant.

A single Dman over 29... 30 yr old Edler.
Upfront... Over 29 are the Twins, Burrows and Eriksson.

Only people who don't get what he's doing think he's worst in the league.

Would like to see one more veteran forward added push down the depth chart.
The rumored Hudler would be a good add that would serve this purpose.. unfortunately we could only pay him $3 mil per i think.

We have 5 draft picks next year and our team will likely be bottom-5 again once the inevitable injuries to our defense hit as usual. We are one injury away from Luca Sbisa in the top-4, again. An injury to either goaltender or a Sedin (and apparently Brandon Sutter :laugh:) would also sink us.

Let me turn this around. If Benning isn't the worst GM in the league right now who is? If I told you the starting goaltender of the 28th ranked team was the worst goalie in the league would you find it hard to believe? Why do you find it so hard to admit that the GM of the 28th place team is 30th in current GM rankings? If you guys seriously think Benning is underrated then start naming some GM's he should be ranked ahead of and why.

I think Benning is the worst (30th) because he is bad at contract negotiations, terrible at trading, inspires zero confidence and his knowledge of the CBA is not sufficient for a NHL GM. His one supposed strength (drafting) he neuters himself by trading so many picks and prospects away while bleeding late picks on every transaction (5 picks next year, 6 picks this year, traded more 2nd rounders than either of Nonis or Gillis). It doesn't matter if he's pushing for the playoffs, re-tooling, or rebuilding, whatever he is doing is not working (3rd worst team, 11 picks in 2 years).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Well, he didn't trade PK Subban.

Not many. If you're in the bottom 5 of a league at your position, and Benning is, you're bad at your job.
Agreed. Toronto finishing last > 3 Cups / 5 Finals. When are the Leafs gonna get rid of this clown it's been like 12 months already.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
yeah this is a trade that really showed/shows HF mob menality for ripping GMs. Gudbranson is a legit NHL player and was dealt for 1 maybe one and a 2nd round pick (which have ~15% chance of making it). Yet this trade is apparently terrible?

Its not a smart bet IMO, but its not a bad trade. Canucks could easily end up winning it

I liked Gudbranson a lot in Florida, he still has some room to grow but not much. Don't hold your breath with him ever getting 20+ pts but he knows what he is, a defensive defenseman who exudes leadership skills while protecting those in need. I will miss his big hits and the decent fighting skills but his next contract may be a doozy. Something around 4-5yrs @ $4.25mil per to $4.75mil per is my guess.

This year and next the Canucks win the trade but I feel McCann has top 6 potential. He will probably replace Jokinen in a couple years time and flourish with Trocheck and Smith.

I feel we win this trade come the 2018-19 season and beyond. Another piece of the trade is the 2nd round pick Adam Mascherin, the kid has a legit laser of a shot with a stocky build. He could help swing the vote even more if he cracks the lineup in the future.

I didn't like the trade at first because I was split on Gudbranson or Ekblad getting the "C" but looking at how we re-tooled our defense, the trade has me gitty. :)

EDIT- my bad, forgot Mascherin was part of the Buffalo/Kulikov trade.

Last edited:

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
The one thing you can say about Benning is that he has managed to make the team younger while appeasing the owners by building a team with the appearance of perhaps possibly being a bubble team (I don't think they are, but appearance is what matters in his position). Gudbranson wasn't a terrible gamble, we haven't sold the farm, and we've done pretty well at the draft table.

All in all, Benning is still probably the 29th best GM in the league, so yes, he is underrated.

Mad Brills*

He hasn't made any franchise crippling moves like some GMs yet he is being called the worst?

That's not something you should be commended on.

being worse than mediocre isn't a good deed.

Yes, he hasn't made a big **** up yet, but it's still many small to medium bad moves, which add up.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Well, he didn't trade PK Subban.

Agreed. Toronto finishing last > 3 Cups / 5 Finals. When are the Leafs gonna get rid of this clown it's been like 12 months already.

Bottom of the league at your position, as in your job, not position in the standings.

Mad Brills*

Right, because the leafs should've gone for that 8 seed after the garbage nonis left them.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Constantly bleeds valuable assets and hands out terrible contracts like it's candy. Yeah, he's underrated alright... :laugh:

He hasn't made one move to cripple a franchise, but he has made a lot of moves that have added up to cripple this franchise. He somehow made the NHL roster and the prospect pool worse at the same time.

Mad Brills*

Constantly bleeds valuable assets and hands out terrible contracts like it's candy. Yeah, he's underrated alright...

He hasn't made one move to cripple a franchise, but he has made a lot of moves that have added up to cripple this franchise. He somehow made the NHL roster and the prospect pool worse at the same time.

What would even have to trade in order for it to cripple the franchise?

Tanev for magic beans?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
That's exactly it.

Outside of the ROR trade(Which you wont find a single Avs fan who wasn't happy with that trade) the Avs haven't done anything significant at all the last couple of years.

And that's a very good thing. When Sakic took over this team was coming off a 29th place finish in which we drafted Mackinnon.

We also had a bottom 5 prospect pool to go along with a bottom 5 roster.

In his 3 years, we've went from being a bottom 5 team to a playoff contender, and our prospect pool has went from bottom 5 in the league to above average and borderline Top 10.

Sakic has done a very quiet but very good job with the Avs so far, and again you wont find any Avs fans who sees it otherwise.

Just look at the work he managed to do this summer, signing good low cost free agents instead of overpaying for free agents(Like Benning did) and he signed all the core pieces we have to fantastic contracts that wont hurt the team long term and will actually set us up well next year to make a big splash if we decide to go that route.

Just because Sakic hasn't done much since becoming GM doesn't mean he's done a bad job. He's done a very good job and has made both the on ice roster and the prospect pool better since taking over.

Well when you finish near the bottom of the league it's easier to stock the prospect cupboard- so I don't know why you draw attention to that. You have the high end talent in the early stage of the first round and as a result can get a little more creative with each subsequent pick.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
What's with all the Canucks-related material on this board lately?

Anyways, I'm not one of Benning's bigger fans as I do not bend my words backwards to praise him like some, but I think overall Benning would not be thrown into the mud nearly as much as he is now if ownership would let him do a ground-up rebuild instead of replacing an old, ramshackle floor with a slightly newer, slightly less ramshackle floor. If that makes sense.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Constantly bleeds valuable assets and hands out terrible contracts like it's candy. Yeah, he's underrated alright... :laugh:

Benning took over a team that finished 6th worst and he crippled the franchise? yeah ok...

Let me guess. Gillis was good right?

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'll start off by saying I haven't exactly been the biggest fan of Jim Benning.

I believe the hate he gets on these boards is over the top. He is being called the worst GM in the league and is being compared to Milbury by some :laugh:

I'm not saying that Benning is a great GM but he is far from the worst of all time or even the worst in the last 10 years (MacTavish, Waddell, MacLean, Gauthier, Burke)

He hasn't made any franchise crippling moves like some GMs yet he is being called the worst? :help:

Pay closer attention, he has absolutely destroyed that franchises chances of being competitive for at least 10 year, closer to 15 years. The longer he stays the worse it's going to get. Makes god awful trades, pulls the trigger on bad deals and doesn't pull the trigger (assuming the trade rumor is accurate) when he should. He is one of the worst gm's of all time.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
You bet small, you lose small.

Benning loses small, and loses small, and loses small...

He lays little turds as he goes, which smell bad but you can still get over. But if you were to stop, turn back, and shovel all the little turds together youd get a giant pile of s***

Perfect analogy :laugh:

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
He is underrated in the sense that he most likely is not fully mentally challenged, as many people here have described him.

Most sources define mental disability to begin at below a 70 IQ. If Benning's IQ is indeed above that, then yes, he would be underrated by those assuming his IQ is below 70. So for example, if Benning's IQ is 72, which by most definitions would mean he likely does not have a diagnosable mental disability, that would make him in fact underrated by many.

:laugh::laugh: legit laughed

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
He's set up a great scouting department and seems to have done rather well at the draft table; where he's struggling I think one could argue that an outside influence (ownership) is more responsible. Benning gets a lot of flack because he's a figurehead, and a face people attribute the moves to, but I wouldn't be surprised if ownership has an invisible hand at work.

What did he set up in the drafting department? Aside from making his son quit his job as a security guard at Nordstrom and hiring him as a scout?

The Jesus*

You bet small, you lose small.

Benning loses small, and loses small, and loses small...

He lays little turds as he goes, which smell bad but you can still get over. But if you were to stop, turn back, and shovel all the little turds together youd get a giant pile of s***

Even though I'm more supportive of Benning than most, this is far and away my favourite post on this site so far.

embryoniccrusadah

Nov 3, 2011
for the most part i agree his moves havent been too bad and it looks like we have a good young core to build around. however, i do think hes given up too many picks as extra incentives and the forsling trade and sbisa/dorsett signings i really didnt like, could chalk the signings up to him being a new gm but still sucks. because of these moves i put him in the bottom 10 gms for sure

BUT!! the guy's bread and butter is supposed to be scouting, so i will wait to see how the young players he has acquired match up against the young players he trades away before i make a concrete decision on him.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The one thing I'll say about Benning is he doesn't have the hubris that Milbury, Nonis, Burke, MacTavish, etc. did. Those guys thought they were the smartest in the room, and that any idea they liked must be a good one, no need to do any sort of critical analysis. Benning seems to be delusional about a lot of things, but at least thinks things through objectively enough or listens to others advice that his moves aren't disasters, they're at worst small losses.

But he's still a bottom three GM in the league: questionable contracts, bleeding small assets, doesn't understand the details of the CBA, or proper contract/waiver management, fired a lot of competent people who knew these things because he didn't want dissenting voices, etc. He knows enough to be able to tread water, but lacks the critical thinking, imagination, and managerial skills to actually make impactful changes and outdo the competition.

I see a lot of people blaming the ownership, and they're certainly a problem. But you can't absolve Benning of all responsibility for the poor strategy. Part of the job of a good executive is to persuade their superiors to support their ideas. If he's just taking orders and answering "yes sir" to everything then he's doing it wrong. Something as major as determining the direction of the team would have been part of the recruiting process, so I have to assume that whatever strategy the Aquilinis are mandating has Benning's full support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad