Jim Benning Is Underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

He

Jul 2, 2015
Winnipeg
Jim Benning's signings have been alright, and his drafting is looking promising (although it shouldn't be anything else but promising with two top 6 picks) but it's his trading that really sets the fan base off. He just constantly seems to get the worse end of the deal, and little by little it makes a difference.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
You should have kept your previous title...

I agree that he's overrated... He should be proclaimed as even WORSE than he is on hfboards, because he is.

What previous title are you talking about ? :help:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think they lost value in the;
-Gudbranson/McCann trade
-Shinkaruk/Granlund trade
-Bonino/Sutter trade
-Kassian trade
-Clendening trade
-Vey trade

and should have dealt Hamuis or re-signed him

I think they did well on the:
-Baerstchi trade
-Bieksa trade
-Eriksson signing

and most others pretty fair. Not like the lost trades were in favour of improving areas of weakness really, not a fan of his work

This was a Tambo trade. Traded a very good prospect in Forsling for a scrub in Clendening. Wont sink club, but really similar to Reider for Kessy trade

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't think he's the worst, but I do think he's near the bottom. He's made several questionable trades, they seem to think they're window is still open, and not trading Hamhuis/Vrbata at the deadline was just downright stupid.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
He's the worst GM in the league right now by far and honestly I haven't seen one as bad as him since Milbury.

Nucks will be a Bottom 5-10 team in the league for a long time. Bottom 3 this year I think.

Funny coming from an Avs fan. What exactly has Sackic / Roy / whoever is actually running the show there done?

Avs management is worse IMO

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He is quite easily the worst GM in the NHL and probably the worst GM in North American pro sports.

He's bad at literally every part of his job. Just a complete joke of a hockey executive and a profoundly stupid human being.

That anyone could defend him is mindboggling.

eviohh26*

I don't think he's the worst, but I do think he's near the bottom. He's made several questionable trades, they seem to think they're window is still open, and not trading Hamhuis/Vrbata at the deadline was just downright stupid.

How does 1 trade Vrbata?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He is underrated in the sense that he most likely is not fully mentally challenged, as many people here have described him.

Most sources define mental disability to begin at below a 70 IQ. If Benning's IQ is indeed above that, then yes, he would be underrated by those assuming his IQ is below 70. So for example, if Benning's IQ is 72, which by most definitions would mean he likely does not have a diagnosable mental disability, that would make him in fact underrated by many.

eviohh26*

He is quite easily the worst GM in the NHL and probably the worst GM in North American pro sports.

He's bad at literally every part of his job. Just a complete joke of a hockey executive and a profoundly stupid human being.

That anyone could defend him is mindboggling.

Settle down bud. Go brew some coffee. Day drinking will do this to you.

whlscowt

He's set up a great scouting department and seems to have done rather well at the draft table; where he's struggling I think one could argue that an outside influence (ownership) is more responsible. Benning gets a lot of flack because he's a figurehead, and a face people attribute the moves to, but I wouldn't be surprised if ownership has an invisible hand at work.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I'm no lover of Benning, but I'm starting to see some method in the madness. He's building a young core from the net out. We've got a Schneider-esque goalie, an intriguing group of defencemen who are young enough to transitition to the post Sedin age. We do have some interesting forward prospects , but most seem to be second line types. When the Sedins do retire, the forward rebuild would start in earnest.

I may be giving him too much credit, and suffering from Pareidolia. (Seeing patterns when none exist)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Where will they finish?

As you can see from the bodies In vs bodies Out... last yr Benning replaced the NHL veteran depth of the team with youth from within.

The team paid the price when injuries hit hard and the team did not have NHL caliber depth backing it up.. That is improved this year.. but still weak upfront.

Based on the turnover this yr... we can see the team's success is dependent on the further maturation and consistency of the youth as well as better luck in the injury department.

The roster has a lot of upswinging players i think will be more consistent and able to contribute more than last yr..

On D, I think only Edler is peaking...
D moving into their prime: Tanev, Sbisa,
Approaching their prime: Gudbranson, Larsen...
Developing: Hutton, Pedan, Tryamkin

I look forward to seeing what kind of progress/production we see outta Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen..
Hope Etem, Granlund take a step..
Wait to see what Rodin is.
Healthy Sutter..

Hard to predict where injuries will hit.. If we luck out - I see a Playoff team.
If we can run the top 3 centers as Sedin/Sutter/Horvat for 70+ games... our depth scoring will automatically take us out of the 29th place.

A season ago we were 8th in GF. Last yr 29th.
I believe this version of the team will be closer to 8th than 29th.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
He's a terrible GM who's ranked exactly where he should be, 30th.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
i wish he would drink more coffee or eat more sugar or something.. he puts me to sleep when I hear him talk... him and the magician David Blaine must be long lost brothers

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Oh god please. Why did you make this thread. No he isn't bad. But you just opened the flood gates for every idiot with an opinion to **** on him because its the thing to do.

Exactly my thoughts. And you were right. All if a sudden hes the worst GM in all of sports.

Like come on guys. Im a Canucks fan and I know some stuff has been bad but my lord. Canucks fans just love making everything that happens to them is the worst ever.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
How many teams would Benning be an improvement on as a GM?

Columbus?

That might be it.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Exactly my thoughts. And you were right. All if a sudden hes the worst GM in all of sports.

Like come on guys. Im a Canucks fan and I know some stuff has been bad but my lord. Canucks fans just love making everything that happens to them is the worst ever.

He's not the worst ever but he's certainly the worst right now. And so far in this thread I would say there has been more defense of him from Canucks fans than negative (realistic) opinions.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
He's not the worst ever but he's certainly the worst right now. And so far in this thread I would say there has been more defense of him from Canucks fans than negative (realistic) opinions.

No he isn't. But you're proving me right. So thanks for that.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
No he isn't. But you're proving me right. So thanks for that.

Which part of your post would that be? The part where you said he wasn't the worst ever and I agreed? He's not the worst ever but he is the worst right now.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

The transaction list is right there for all to see.

What he's been doing in turning over an aging team and incorporating youth has been pretty significant.

A single Dman over 29... 30 yr old Edler.
Upfront... Over 29 are the Twins, Burrows and Eriksson.

Only people who don't get what he's doing think he's worst in the league.

Would like to see one more veteran forward added to push down the depth chart.
The rumored Hudler would be a good add that would serve this purpose.. unfortunately we could only pay him $3 mil per i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad