Jim Benning Is Underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
For anyone who wants to say 'well at least he hasn't made any significant screw ups like Chiarelli has', while I disagree in principle it's certainly not for a lack of effort. He was in on the Milan Lucic sweepstakes in the 2015 off season believed to be offering our 1st (Boeser pick) and Eddie Lack but got beat out by LA's offer. Then in 2016 he was pushing hard for PK Subban, believed to be offering the #5 overall (Juolevi but should have been Tkachuk), Horvat, and Tanev, but Montreal was hoping to draft PL Dubois so when Columbus unexpectedly took him they traded for Shea Weber.

Perhaps our franchises biggest saving grace is he isn't even competent enough to pull off a big deal.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Let's hear your perspective then. Show your work.
Here's an explanation:

Our 3rd best prospect is Juolevi a guy who prior to being injured was leading the entire AHL in pts for rookie defensemen! Will Lockwood looks like he'll be a good player as well. Not even counting EP look at the prospect depth. It's definitely a top 5 prospect pool IMO far from atrocious. :laugh:
  1. Hughes
  2. Thatcher Demko
  3. Olli Juolevi
  4. Jonathan Dahlen
  5. Adam Gaudette
  6. Kole Lind
  7. Michael DiPietro
  8. Jett Woo
  9. Tyler Madden

You quoted a guy who seriously still thinks we have a good prospect pool and lists Juolevi at 3rd. That's what we're dealing with here.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is the point of the year where prospect pools weaken because you have your top guys graduating to the NHL and many teenagers losing their shine in their rookie AHL years, but I'd say Vancouver has a proportionally large dip.

A big part of the reason Vancouver's prospect pool look so strong a few months ago was largely coincidental, as we had 3 top 10 picks in the organization yet to play in the AHL/NHL: Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes, and a handful of good prospects players across different years still fresh from their respective CHL/College/European leagues: Gaudette, Dahlin, Lind, Gadjovich. With these guys either graduated or struggling in the AHL it take a lot of the shine off the pool.

Really though, if you get down to the nitty gritty the problem with Benning isn't so much the teams drafting, which I've personally always hated placing all blame/credit on the teams GM, but rather with the development. Utica's been on a continual decline under the Benning regime, he fired the guy who managed it to a championship finals series (Lorne Henning), it's been a gong show and a complete afterthought ever since. Making matters worse the few prospects that do manage to thrive down there get blocked by the Canucks when Benning goes UFA shopping in the summer.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This is the point of the year where prospect pools weaken because you have your top guys graduating to the NHL and many teenagers losing their shine in their rookie AHL years, but I'd say Vancouver has a proportionally large dip.

A big part of the reason Vancouver's prospect pool look so strong a few months ago was largely coincidental, as we had 3 top 10 picks in the organization yet to play in the AHL/NHL: Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes, and a handful of good prospects players across different years still fresh from their respective CHL/College/European leagues: Gaudette, Dahlin, Lind, Gadjovich. With these guys either graduated or struggling in the AHL it take a lot of the shine off the pool.

Really though, if you get down to the nitty gritty the problem with Benning isn't so much the teams drafting, which I've personally always hated placing all blame/credit on the teams GM, but rather with the development. Utica's been on a continual decline under the Benning regime, he fired the guy who managed it to a championship finals series (Lorne Henning), it's been a gong show and a complete afterthought ever since. Making matters worse the few prospects that do manage to thrive down there get blocked by the Canucks when Benning goes UFA shopping in the summer.

to be fair, Gaudette would have stayed in Utica if not for injuries to Sutter and Beagle and he most likely been our leading point getter. Juolevi's point totals would have also went up at the result of having a player like Gaudette and of course having Demko from the beggining would have helped our farm team, wait a minute why are we even talking about this?

anyways I don't believe in him anymore, he's done some very good things, to our team, he's not a bad person, he is very friendly but man we need a new gm.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Pictured: The Canucks transition from October to November:

full.gif

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If he is underrated someone didn't think very highly of him in the first place.

RightInTheAho

Dec 12, 2017
after Hughes, what is so amazing about the Canucks prospect pool?

1. We have arguably the best goalie prospect in Demko and another great one in DiPietro
2. You guys all s*** on Juolevi but he's played great in every league so far and was ripping it up in the AHL prior to his injury.
3. Gaudette was last year's Hobey Baker Winner and PPG in Utica before getting promoted.
4. Jonathan Dahlen was the Allsvenskan MVP had better numbers than Filip Forsberg and is adjusting great in Utica. Excellent edgework and great shot.
5. Kole Lind had a better PPG last year than Cody Glass a guy drafted 6th overall in the same draft.
6. Will Lockwood is progressing nicely has NHL speed and tenacity
7. Tyler Madden is a gem from the 3rd round. Nearly PPG in his first College season playing in all situations.
8. Jack Rathbone another gem. Nearly PPG in his first College season w/ high end skating
9. Jett Woo - 2nd round pick playing like a first round pick this year.

Why don't you tell me now how the Canucks prospect pool is atrocious? :popcorn: Can you even name 5 teams with a better pool?

This is without even mentioning guys like Palmu, Gadjovich Chatfield and Brisebois.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Why don't you name me 5 teams with a better pool genius.

I'm not him but here is mine

New York Ranger, a team that started their rebuild last year

Colorado Avalache, a team that isn't even rebuilding and is a Western conference contender

Detroit Red Wings

Carolina Hurricanes

Los Angeles Kings, rebuild started last season

and some people would put the Islanders but I'm not so sure

-

if we ignore gifted top 10 tanked no brainer picks (ie Hughes)

-Anaheim Ducks
-Winnipeg Jets
-Ottawa Senators
-the Leafs (lol)

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
1. We have arguably the best goalie prospect in Demko and another great one in DiPietro
2. You guys all s*** on Juolevi but he's played great in every league so far and was ripping it up in the AHL prior to his injury.
3. Gaudette was last year's Hobey Baker Winner and PPG in Utica before getting promoted.
4. Jonathan Dahlen was the Allsvenskan MVP had better numbers than Filip Forsberg and is adjusting great in Utica. Excellent edgework and great shot.
5. Kole Lind had a better PPG last year than Cody Glass a guy drafted 6th overall in the same draft.
6. Will Lockwood is progressing nicely has NHL speed and tenacity
7. Tyler Madden is a gem from the 3rd round. Nearly PPG in his first College season playing in all situations.
8. Jack Rathbone another gem. Nearly PPG in his first College season w/ high end skating
9. Jett Woo - 2nd round pick playing like a first round pick this year.

Why don't you tell me now how the Canucks prospect pool is atrocious? :popcorn: Can you even name 5 teams with a better pool?

This is without even mentioning guys like Palmu, Gadjovich Chatfield and Brisebois.

3 of the top 5 guys you mentioned have 90% chance of busting and 0% chance of being a core piece

I do like Madden's progression but guys like Rathborne and Lockwood can be said for prospects of many different teams

the only organization worse than the Canucks in the standings during Benning's time here is..????

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
1. We have arguably the best goalie prospect in Demko and another great one in DiPietro One of these guys might make it as an NHL backup.
2. You guys all s**t on Juolevi but he's played great in every league so far and was ripping it up in the AHL prior to his injury. Will be lucky to carve out a career as respectable as Derek Pouliot.
3. Gaudette was last year's Hobey Baker Winner and PPG in Utica before getting promoted. 4th line checking center, doesn't have the skills at the NHL level.
4. Jonathan Dahlen was the Allsvenskan MVP had better numbers than Filip Forsberg and is adjusting great in Utica. Excellent edgework and great shot.4 goals in Utica at almost 21 yo isn't adjusting great. Might have a Markus Granlund like career.
5. Kole Lind had a better PPG last year than Cody Glass a guy drafted 6th overall in the same draft. These two don't belong in the same sentence.
6. Will Lockwood is progressing nicely has NHL speed and tenacity. A winger version of Adam Gaudette.
7. Tyler Madden is a gem from the 3rd round. Nearly PPG in his first College season playing in all situations. Too early to tell but I'm seeing another Gaudette here.
8. Jack Rathbone another gem. Nearly PPG in his first College season w/ high end skating. Too early to tell. Could be a #4 d or career AHLer.
9. Jett Woo - 2nd round pick playing like a first round pick this year.Way too early to tell. Tanev is his upside though.

This is without even mentioning guys like Palmu, Gadjovich Chatfield and Brisebois. Junk prospects that will never play more than a handful of games in the NHL, if that.

RightInTheAho

Dec 12, 2017
I'm not him but here is mine

New York Ranger, a team that started their rebuild last year

Colorado Avalache, a team that isn't even rebuilding and is a Western conference contender

Detroit Red Wings

Carolina Hurricanes

Los Angeles Kings, rebuild started last season

and some people would put the Islanders but I'm not so sure

-

if we ignore gifted top 10 tanked no brainer picks (ie Hughes)

-Anaheim Ducks
-Winnipeg Jets
-Ottawa Senators
-the Leafs (lol)

I'd agree with you on DET CAR and NYR

I think Colorado has a strong top 3 ( Makar, Timmins and Kaut) but IMO their pool doesn't have the same depth as the Canucks past that. Same with the LAK

I would add Philly to that list but again just my opinion.

Judging from your response it seems you think the Canucks are around 6-7 hardly atrocious am I right? :nod:

RightInTheAho

Dec 12, 2017
3 of the top 5 guys you mentioned have 90% chance of busting and 0% chance of being a core piece

I do like Madden's progression but guys like Rathborne and Lockwood can be said for prospects of many different teams

the only organization worse than the Canucks in the standings during Benning's time here is..????

What would you consider to be a bust? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad