Jim Benning Is Underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
No matter what the Canucks do everyone ****s on it. Benning has built our prospect pool stronger than it has ever looked in 47 years. We are missing that franchise prospect but I think we could get our guy in the 2018 draft.

Hate us cause they ain't us.

It should be a lot stronger...

Virtanen- over Nylander/Ehlers
Juolevi- over Sergachev that returned Drouin and Tkachuk, amongst others (Keller is another)
Pettersson- was the first pick that I agreed with in his tenure

Some other questionable moves that derailed it.

He's built the pool stronger because the team has sucked more so he's had more to work with...

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
One thing that would annoy the **** out of me if I were a canucks fan is that he always seems to let everybody know exactly what he's doing. This year it was telling the entire hockey world that he would like to add a top 6 playmaking center in the draft, did the same thing last year. Idk why you would "show your hand" like that to all the other teams in the league.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Vancouver Canucks after year 3 of Mike Gillis as GM:

Wins: 54, first overall.
GF: 262, first overall.
GA: 185, first overall.
PP: 24.32%, first overall.
PK: 85.58%, third overall.

Individual awards:

Daniel Sedin: Art Ross winner, Ted Lindsay Award winner.
Roberto Luongo, Cory Schneider: William Jennings Trophy winners.

Playoffs: Team lost 4-3 in the Stanley Cup final, the third time in team history making it to the SCF.

---------------------------------------------

Vancouver Canucks after year 3 of Jim Benning as GM:

Wins: 30, twenty-eighth overall.
GF: 178, twenty-ninth overall.
GA: 241, tied for twenty-fourth overall.
PP: 14.1%, twenty-ninth overall.
PK: 76.7%, twenty-eighth overall.

Individual awards: zilch.

Playoffs: yeah, right.

-----------------------------------------------

Sometimes, numbers really do tell the story.

Kesler also won the selke under Gillis's regime in 2011.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
It should be a lot stronger...

Virtanen- over Nylander/Ehlers
Juolevi- over Sergachev that returned Drouin and Tkachuk, amongst others (Keller is another)
Pettersson- was the first pick that I agreed with in his tenure

Some other questionable moves that derailed it.

He's built the pool stronger because the team has sucked more so he's had more to work with...

If only he could win a lottery or two I guess he would be in Lou territory eh?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Canucks are in the playoff hunt at the all star break after many were ripping Benning and predicting a bottom 3 finish.

Benning is underrated

4 points less and we would be 28th for a bottom 3 spot. Itll be interesting to see if they can make the playoffs or nosedive to a bottom 5 spot. I know which one the stats point to

Bump from the end of January. Lol

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Let's play what would Benning not do. Aka Benning+1

Nylander Pastrnak
Konecny
Tkachuk
Glass

Posts like this are absolutely pathetic.

Players take time to develop. You can't claim one year after the draft that Tkachuk is 100% the better player. Juolevi looks like a damn fine prospect. And why even mention Glass? The draft was 2 ****ing weeks ago.

I think a good 90% of canucks fans are happy with both the Juolevi and Pettersson pick. The Virtanen pick is the only one that doesn't look good, but I wouldn't say Jake is a bust either. Dude us still young and still developing. He could he a damn fine player. He won't be a offensive juggernaut. But he could be a very effective player.

Funny no one brings up the draft successes JB has had. Which is alot.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

Players take time to develop. You can't claim one year after the draft that Tkachuk is 100% the better player. Juolevi looks like a damn fine prospect. And why even mention Glass? The draft was 2 ****ing weeks ago.

I think a good 90% of canucks fans are happy with both the Juolevi and Pettersson pick. The Virtanen pick is the only one that doesn't look good, but I wouldn't say Jake is a bust either. Dude us still young and still developing. He could he a damn fine player. He won't be a offensive juggernaut. But he could be a very effective player.

Your optimism knows no bounds. How did this seasons points/playoff predictions work out for you?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Which is who exactly?

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I still can't make sense of that draft video. Its genuinely baffling, like when Benning says "speed and skill, remember speed and skill". I am pretty sure they are picking from a predetermined list...

I am thinking this is not them actually in their element but this was just a little act that they put together to get the fans excited. It has to be scripted.

member 105785

Nonis Luongo trade was better than any of Bennings okayish trades added up

Conveniently negated by:

Jason King & a 3rd for Ryan Shannon
2nd for Bryan Smolinski
2nd for Brent Sopel
3rd for the rights to Taylor Pyatt
4th for Tommi Santala
4th for Sean Brown
2nd for Mika Noronen
3rd for Steve McCarthy, who he later traded for a 4th

Last edited by a moderator:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
gonna own up to this?

Looked good after 50 gms.
Special teams never came thru liked I hoped.

I'm more optimistic this yr than last tho.

Is really something to own up to when took a season ending 9 GM losing streak to finish where people were guessing them to? Don't think so.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver Canucks after year 3 of Mike Gillis as GM:

Wins: 54, first overall.
GF: 262, first overall.
GA: 185, first overall.
PP: 24.32%, first overall.
PK: 85.58%, third overall.

Individual awards:

Daniel Sedin: Art Ross winner, Ted Lindsay Award winner.
Ryan Kesler: Selke winner.
Roberto Luongo, Cory Schneider: William Jennings Trophy winners.

Playoffs: Team lost 4-3 in the Stanley Cup final, the third time in team history making it to the SCF.

---------------------------------------------

Benning didn't inherit an All-star goalie.. but at least drafted a potential one for us.

Benning didn't inherit a Hart finalist goalie... he got.. Eddie Lack.

Benning didn't inherit any future Art Ross/Pearson/ Selke/Hart/ trophy winners.. maybe the guy he drafted Pettersson does something.

Gillis got 28 yr old Twins. Benning got 34 yr old Twins.

But otherwise... without context, your post is awesome.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Benning didn't inherit an All-star goalie.. but at least drafted a potential one for us.

Benning didn't inherit a Hart finalist goalie... he got.. Eddie Lack.

Benning didn't inherit any future Art Ross/Pearson/ Selke/Hart/ trophy winners.. maybe the guy he drafted Pettersson does something.

Gillis got 28 yr old Twins. Benning got 34 yr old Twins.

But otherwise... without context, your post is awesome.

Where was the team then, where is it now. Yeah, one guy Benning drafted in 3 years maybe does something. Maybe.

Must be nice to be a fan of such a loser. No matter what happens, we couldn't get lower. It's a lot easier than expecting a winner, isn't it?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Conveniently negated by:

Jason King & a 3rd for Ryan Shannon
2nd for Bryan Smolinski
2nd for Brent Sopel
3rd for the rights to Taylor Pyatt
4th for Tommi Santala
4th for Sean Brown
2nd for Mika Noronen
3rd for Steve McCarthy, who he later traded for a 4th

Not very different than
2nd for Vey
3rd for Dorsett
3rd for Pedan
Forsling for Clendenning
Kassian and 5th for Prust
5th for rights to Larsen
And the Kesler and Sutter trades which were both disasters
As well as most his other trades where he lost picks.

The only trades he seems to have clearly won is
2nd for Baertschi
Shinkaruk for Granlund
Bieksa for 2nd
Burrows for Dahlen
Maybe Hansen for Goldobin and 4th.
Thats 5ish trades out of the 21 he has done. Hopefully since the last two are better he is learning but I doubt it

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Where was the team then, where is it now. Yeah, one guy Benning drafted in 3 years maybe does something. Maybe.

Must be nice to be a fan of such a loser. No matter what happens, we couldn't get lower. It's a lot easier than expecting a winner, isn't it?

Just cuz I'm not hysterical about the current GM doesn't mean I'm a fan of his.

I'm a little more measured than that.

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010

Not very different than
2nd for Vey
3rd for Dorsett
3rd for Pedan
Forsling for Clendenning
5th for rights to Larsen

2nd for Baertschi
Shinkaruk for Granlund
Bieksa for 2nd
Burrows for Dahlen
Thats 5ish trades out of the 21 he has done. Hopefully since the last two are better he is learning but I doubt it

Oh come off it, man. Will Acton for Kellan Lain was CLEARLY a win for the Vancouver Canucks organization.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Just cuz I'm not hysterical about the current GM doesn't mean I'm a fan of his.

I'm a little more measured than that.

Yeah, you're measured. Sure you are. That's why you're always in Benning's corner, right?

Look, I don't give a **** who runs the team as long as they win. That's what I care about. Where is that now? I just don't get how the Canucks operate three years behind when it comes to the GMs. 2011, best team they've ever had. No, it's because of Burke and Nonis! 2017, verging on the worst. No, it's because of Gillis! It's always the guy who was canned years ago not the one in charge right now, isn't it? I just don't get that. Take some responsibility.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Not very different than
2nd for Vey
3rd for Dorsett
3rd for Pedan
Forsling for Clendenning
5th for rights to Larsen

2nd for Baertschi
Shinkaruk for Granlund
Bieksa for 2nd
Burrows for Dahlen

Agreed. There's only a few trades he's made where he clearly came out on top. Benning has an eye for talent and he'd make a great director of scouting but as a GM...not so much. Even in the best case, would even his biggest fans have him in the top 20 in GM rankings?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, you're measured. Sure you are. That's why you're always in Benning's corner, right?

Look, I don't give a **** who runs the team as long as they win. That's what I care about. Where is that now? I just don't get how the Canucks operate three years behind when it comes to the GMs. 2011, best team they've ever had. No, it's because of Burke and Nonis! 2017, verging on the worst. No, it's because of Gillis! It's always the guy who was canned years ago not the one in charge right now, isn't it? I just don't get that. Take some responsibility.

He's turning over the veterans on the roster. Been doing it since his first yr here.
Takes time to give youngens a chance to succeed or fail and decide to move on...
In the meanwhile he's sheltering with short term signings as he evaluates the youth.
Just cuz you don't understand what he's been doing (as dictated by his IN/OUT transactions every yr)... doesn't mean he's a garbage GM. Means you need to learn to analyze the situation better.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
He's turning over the veterans on the roster. Been doing it since his first yr here.
Takes time to give youngens a chance to succeed or fail and decide to move on...
In the meanwhile he's sheltering with short term signings as he evaluates the youth.
Just cuz you don't understand what he's been doing (as dictated by his IN/OUT transactions every yr)... doesn't mean he's a garbage GM. Means you need to learn to analyze the situation better.

Bottom line is results. That's how I analyse the situation.

WTF. Why are we playing this game. It's not as if we haven't been over this a hundred times on the home board. Results are what matter. I understand exactly what Benning is doing. He's using flawed logic married with flawed execution to attempt to build a winner and failing miserably.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
He lays little turds as he goes, which smell bad but you can still get over. But if you were to stop, turn back, and shovel all the little turds together youd get a giant pile of s***

**** sake Lahey...just say the **** winds are blowing and get it over with. Kidding, nice post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad